Gransnet forums

Health

Life After total knee replacement

(56 Posts)
emabhijeet Sat 17-Nov-18 08:05:53

How the total knee replacement surgery performs and life after prosthesis implant, how much time it takes to be as original body part, how long an artificial joint will last and what can a patient expect in respect of work efficiency ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 30-Mar-19 08:59:48

Total knee replacements have moved on since they first came on the market in the late 60's. That GP is possibly thinking of the bulky replacements inserted so long ago and many did not work, unlike today.

Nowadays there is so much less metal in the knee and on the whole it is an easier and quicker operation. That GP is thinking about the past.

I agree with Jane anaesthesia has also moved on and I was given around 6 choices the first time I had a knee replaced. Last year I was talked into spinal anaesthesia- pain free and I knew nothing about anything.

You need a second opinion fairly swiftly. That GP is in the dark ages.

Redtop1 Sat 30-Mar-19 19:28:15

Thanks for your suggestions and advice. 90% of the surgeries in our area are managed by a health company (I won’t name) which is run by and part of the hospital trust. The GP in question sits on the Management board and is in his early 40’s. So not near retiring.

I have been back in the U.K. not quite 2 years and been in this area 18 months now, I resisted with this surgery just as it was being rearranged ( understand the older doctor who ran it retired). It has gone downhill considerably and so have many of the surgeries in this area.

Myself and lots of people on our estate have had problems, I initially thought some of them were normal as I know it’s difficult to get appointments etc. Our local Community Association has been in touch with our local councillor who is visiting the surgery to discuss this further, one poorly lady had appointments set up for the next 4 months and when she turned up for the first one she had been de-registered, she had to see the Manager who did know how or why it happened but blamed the IT system. They sorted it out and made new appoints for her. When she struggled in the following week for her new appointment, guess what she had been de-registered again.

It is a shambles, I am not sure elsewhere is going to be any better, but I think I am going to have to try.

jura2 Sat 30-Mar-19 19:39:58

Not sure why this GP is saying this- seems strange and I would certainly see someone else asap. However, it depends on your general health nd fitness. A young friend'sm mum, who is a few years older than me had two knee replacements that have been a disaster- but she was really NOT well generally beforehand, and suffered from depression and was very unfit- and did not do the necessary physio and exercise to help recovery.

I know many here disagree strongly- but 'my' surgeon said = I can do the ops, but you will have to do the work- you will determine what happens next.

'I wonder whether it's due to wear and tear, osteoporosis or a fall necessitating replacement joints. ' was asked above. Well it depends, each case is different. For me, it was a car accident when I ways 19, which smashed all my right side- and I had a pin to support traction for 4.5 months, in the knee. After 7.5 months in hospital, it took me 2 years to learn to walk properly again and continue recovery- with a right leg 1 inch shorter. So I was always told my knee would need to be replaced, but had to wait until I was 65. The other knee wore too because it had to compensate and do the work for 2 - so no surprise there.

Redtop1 Sat 30-Mar-19 20:06:56

Jura2 My GP and his surgery wouldn’t sign and email the form for my Australian GP so she could email my records. I have continually asked if this was done and had they got them and all I get is a shake of the head and hands in the air. So all he has is the details I completed on my registration form.

My fitness was okay when I moved here, I have two active dogs that get me out on walks (normally) I have a wear and tear problem with my right hip as well as chronic back pain, but don’t medicate for it unless really bad or go for Physio which helps. I have suffered from high blood pressure since I was 30 but medication keeps that under control, I have IBS but again have that under control with diet with only occasional flare ups. I am 65 and was working up until December 2016.

It just frustrates me, that my knee pain makes my back and hip pain worse, and that must be the way I am walking with my knee.

Going to look at changing GP’s next week.

jennifersmith2033 Fri 18-Dec-20 09:53:55

Securing your knees is the main concern for any person. Unharmed knees imply you can move freely and effectively from anywhere. Knee pads offer additional help to your joints and furthermore help to keep them showing longer to decreasing wounds over the long run. Nowadays there are different types of knee pads are used that can protect the knees from long injections. Visit knee pad guide for more information about knee pads.