Gransnet forums

Health

Moaning and complaining is good for your blood pressure.

(34 Posts)
oldbatty Thu 22-Nov-18 09:41:55

Yes who would have thought it? Professor Hank Marvin writes today in the Mirror that a good old moan is actually beneficial. Moaners (not to confused with remoaners) live longer, have lower blood pressure and sharper follicles than their sunny counterparts. So go ahead, crack open a can of lager and have a good old moan.

oldbatty Sat 24-Nov-18 08:39:02

An unfortunate coincidence Cherry. I assure you Hank is genuine. He has letters after his name and went to Harvard.

Cherrytree59 Fri 23-Nov-18 22:05:57

Hank Marvin our house = starving
As in when is tea? "I'm Hank Marvin".grin

MissAdventure Fri 23-Nov-18 19:37:49

With the 'countdown' music as the time draws near to end the conversation quickly.

oldbatty Fri 23-Nov-18 19:36:03

I suggest a giant eggtimer.

melp1 Fri 23-Nov-18 18:59:43

If only I could keep hubby to a 15 min moan a day or even Wednesdays only - what bliss!

Squiffy Fri 23-Nov-18 18:41:39

That's a blow oldb!

MissAdventure Fri 23-Nov-18 18:17:35

grin apparently so, judging by my neighbour.

oldbatty Fri 23-Nov-18 18:15:55

sorry Squiffy, you are correct. The whining and complaining must be done to another person. The rewards are great though.

Squiffy Fri 23-Nov-18 18:13:00

Do you have to moan to another person or can you just mutter your moanings out loud to yourself or to thin air? I think I'm quite good at that, but it probably doesn't count!

holdingontometeeth Fri 23-Nov-18 18:07:33

My OH is a constant moaner, and it certainly does no good for my blood pressure, even though I have mastered the art of selective deafness.

CardiffJaguar Fri 23-Nov-18 17:57:17

It is a wellknown British trait; most of us do it and we enjoy it (though we are unlikely to admit that).

Happysexagenarian Fri 23-Nov-18 16:33:09

That would explain why my DH's blood pressure is lower than mine then!

MissAdventure Fri 23-Nov-18 15:19:58

Sometimes its reasonable to moan.
It has to be the right person though.
They need to agree with you (without seeming smug) join in, and then jolly you along a bit with some black humour.

Grammaretto Fri 23-Nov-18 14:38:25

There was a fad for positive thinking a few years back? Whatever happened to it?
I don't call it moaning but do it all the time. I suppose it makes me feel better if there's anyone to listen.

GabriellaG Fri 23-Nov-18 14:25:50

Nothing to moan about here and my bp is 118/70, totally healthy.
It's all subjective. If you polled 10,000 professors from around the world, There would be thousands of opposing/ differing opinions so I take their spiel with a HUGE dose of salt. grin

oldbatty Fri 23-Nov-18 11:47:10

Professor Hank suggests you put a limit on your neighbours moaning, Miss A. 15 minutes maximum and that moaning can be done whilst on a brisk walk.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 23-Nov-18 11:39:21

Dh and I only allow ourselves, and predominantly the other one of us to moan on a Wednesday. It started as a joke when we noticed that we were spending the first half-hour after work moaning about things we either couldn't or had no intention of trying to do anything about, every single day!

We soon discovered that most of that kind of moan aren't worth remembering from Thursday until next Wednesday and that some aren't even worth holding on to from Tuesday to Wednesday. It has made life so much more pleasant NOT moaning about the weather etc. every day.

A genuine complaint can be taken up on any day of the week,

MissAdventure Fri 23-Nov-18 11:35:44

I have a neighbour who comes into mine several times a day (if she can) specifically to moan.
She always thanks me afterwards for listening, but these last few days I have said I need some time to myself.
Now I'm worried because I can see she is just spending almost all of her time in bed.
Time to open the door and let the moaning commence, I think.

Kim19 Fri 23-Nov-18 11:32:30

I hope it would be practised in an empty room otherwise you might increase that of those who have to listen. Also you might have to share the lager!

BlueSky Thu 22-Nov-18 14:45:25

EllanVannin same here it has been sky high and low enough for me to pass out, or to have a moment of altered awareness as nicely put by the neurologist...confused

EllanVannin Thu 22-Nov-18 13:34:13

My BP's up and down like a fiddlers elbow----best not to worry too much about it though as panic would cause it to rise even more.smile

Nanny23 Thu 22-Nov-18 13:11:09

No wonder my blood pressure is normal despite a horrendous year! Keep on complaining everyone gringringrin

craftergran Thu 22-Nov-18 12:33:30

Yes I would agree with the prof - better out than in

BlueSky Thu 22-Nov-18 11:53:55

A good old moan yes as you need to get it off your chest, but not actually losing your temper because that would send your bp sky high! hmm

SueDonim Thu 22-Nov-18 10:43:20

Drinking lager at 9:45am, Oldbatty? You could at least wait until it's time for Elevenses! grin

Sometimes it's good to moan and get things off your chest, other times it's just frustrating and makes you feel worse, I think.