Gransnet forums

Health

foods for diarrhea

(27 Posts)
Fennel Tue 22-Jan-19 09:58:37

Following on from the 'Lurgy' thread I now have bad diarrhea. As well as feeling a bit sick.
Husband insists I should eat, as I'm weak, but what?
I fancy veg. soup but that might not be a good idea.
Also I might buy a remedy from the pharmacy.
Any suggestions?

Mamissimo Tue 22-Jan-19 10:05:55

Poor you! I’ve always been told not to eat with the trots because it feeds the bug. Plenty of fluids and you’ll know when it’s time to eat. ?

MawBroon Tue 22-Jan-19 10:08:24

I firmly believe “no food” is the best food until this bug has cleared your system.
Plenty of fluids plus something like Dioralyte if you worry about dehydration or losing mineral salts.

henetha Tue 22-Jan-19 10:14:03

I think they are right, don't eat anything. We're fine without food for a few days. Just sip water all day. When you start to improve the best thing is I find is simply toast. With the minimum of spread on it.
I was always told that eggs are very 'binding'.... so maybe egg on toast eventually.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Jan-19 10:28:41

Our GP always recommended Coca Cola or lemonade as a cheaper alternative to dioralyte, and has a more pleasant taste.

Taking Imodium or similar will stop you "going" but can on occasions prolong the bug as it traps the germs within.

MawBroon Tue 22-Jan-19 10:40:35

Do not on any account take Immodium! That will prolong it and defeat the object.
A cheap alternative to Diarolyte can be made with water, salt , honey (you will have to Google this) if necessary.

MawBroon Tue 22-Jan-19 10:42:37

www.mamanatural.com/natural-pedialyte-recipe/

Day6 Tue 22-Jan-19 10:48:42

Following up from MawBroon's advice, a good hot drink which is surprisingly comforting is a spoonful of Marmite dissolved in hot water. It will also provide the salts you need.

Dry toast is good if you feel the need for a bite to eat, but do let the bug run its course (no pun intended) before you start eating meals again.

I hope you feel better soon Fennel flowers

Teetime Tue 22-Jan-19 10:55:20

Plain fluids are certainly the right advice and as you have heard here Imodium has its drawbacks although sometimes diarrhoea is so profuse you can get dehydrated and it can leave constipated afterwards so can be a vicious circle. I would wait it out with plain fluids, maybe a dry cracker and if you are starving a small amount of plain boiled rice. If it goes on too long then seek pharmacy or GP advice if there is blood in the stools.

Liz46 Tue 22-Jan-19 10:57:12

When you feel like eating, maybe a boiled egg?

JessK Tue 22-Jan-19 11:02:52

If you fancy soup then cream of chicken is a good way to go.

MrsJamJam Tue 22-Jan-19 11:04:18

I am another one who believes in starving the bugs, so just fluids for 24 hours. My mother was a nurse who trained in the 1940's and when we were children if someone had a tummy bug all there utensils were kept separate and washed very hot. Also much handwashing and disinfecting. She wasn't obsessed with hygiene the rest of the time, which I think gave us all pretty tough immune systems. However, I do think the barrier routine with sickness /diarrhoea is good practice and I still do it.

MrsJamJam Tue 22-Jan-19 11:05:15

Sorry their, not there! autocorrect errorgrin

sodapop Tue 22-Jan-19 11:07:46

Definitely not veg soup. Clear fluids water or lemonade. Dry toast when you feel like eating a little. Small amounts often is key.

J52 Tue 22-Jan-19 11:17:02

I always though you had to stay away from dairy, but years ago I was told by my GP to eat live yogurt. This helps the replacement of the good bacteria.

Bathsheba Tue 22-Jan-19 11:19:07

Eat natural, live yoghurt, as it restores the good bacteria that you lose with diarrhoea. Just a little at a time, not a whole tub quickly, as you need to slowly and gently re-balance your gut flora. Studies suggest that this can reduce the stomach upset by one day. However, be sure not to eat flavoured or sweetened yoghurt - the sugar and other additives can add to your woes shock
I do hope you feel better soon flowers

Fennel Tue 22-Jan-19 11:36:09

Lots of good advice - thanks so much. I like Marmite, will try that.
I've just remembered that one of the medicines - non prescription - I take could be making things worse so will stop that for a day or 2.
And try yoghurt too, tomorow.

giulia Thu 31-Jan-19 20:12:59

Stewed apples with some fresh lemon juice in - and dry toast. Tea, not coffee but with lemon, not milk.

Fennel Thu 31-Jan-19 20:30:09

Thanks giulia. I think I've heard of the stewed apples one in the past.
When my children were little if they had diarrhea someone told me to grate a cooking apple and let it go brown then give it to them. I don't remember if I tried it, I expect they would have refused it.
I wonder what the chemical explanation is?
Anyway that problem with me is ok now b"h.

Vonners Fri 01-Feb-19 17:36:23

Dairy should be avoided as with diarrhea your lactase enzyme is decreased so you are unable to digest lactose. However, live yoghurt is said to be ok, guess it starts putting things right.
Plenty of fluids too. Marmite sounds good. Maybe honey too.

MiniMoon Fri 01-Feb-19 17:45:26

I believe that Coca-Cola has all the mineral salts to replace what you've lost. Convertible it fizzy, stir in a little sugar to make it flat and then drink it. Certainly dont have veg soup! Clear fluids only, until symptoms subside.

MiniMoon Fri 01-Feb-19 17:46:49

Don't drink it, where did convertible come from??

Cherrytree59 Fri 01-Feb-19 17:51:50

No food.
Rehydration sachets that are added to water to replace salts and minerals.

Fennel Hope you feel better soon thanks

mumofmadboys Fri 01-Feb-19 17:55:00

Current medical advice is to eat small quantities of plain food avoiding dairy foods eg piece of dry toast.

dizzyblonde Fri 01-Feb-19 18:35:59

NHS advice is to eat as soon as you feel able, light small meals, potatoes, rice, bananas, soup and boiled vegetables. Salty food is best according the them.