Gransnet forums

Health

Anxiety especially at night

(28 Posts)
Nanamarch1603 Wed 30-Jan-19 17:11:45

Hello everyone, I am going through a terrible state of anxiety at the moment which I am at a loss as to how to deal with. It all started with pulsating tinnitus which started in November. I think this was due to either a sinus infection or going to a music concert! During the day I cannot hear it unless it is very quiet. At night it is dire and has given rise to massive health anxiety. I have had panic attacks, been awake most of the night and am now resorting to having to take either a sleeping tablet or Diazepam and am unable to control my anxiety.
I have been referred for an ENT opinion which is next week but although this will help I think this appointment will only be the beginning of a path of investigations. I have also managed to get myself on the nhs waiting list for CBT counselling which is also a positive move. My doctor has prescribed Mirtazepine to take at night. So far I have not been keen to take this for 2 reasons. One is that most reviews mention that they increase your weight, although this seems a fairly shallow reason not to take them, I spent 6 months at the end of last year losing half a stone which was a struggle for me and I don’t really want to repeat and secondly I was worried I would get addicted which would cause state of anxiety! I have become somewhat of a worrier as you will probably gather!
This is blighting my life (and my poor DH) at the moment and I need to get things back into perspective. Any suggestions gladly received.

Reading50 Tue 26-Jan-21 11:02:11

I too am suffering with really bad Anxiety. It’s been since November 2019. Two years ago I took antidepressants but side effects were awful. I’m trying not to go down that road now. I can’t get appointment for any counselling due to no 1-1 appointments. They suggested I arrange a telephone session. I emailed them and explained I am deaf, so not able to use the phone. The answer was “ok we will phone you and arrange a session” I gave up! So I’m now stuck what to do. I’m in tears most days and so lethargic. My energy is zero. All I keep thinking am I always going to be like this?
Nanamarch I hope you find relief very soon.

nadateturbe Tue 26-Jan-21 23:28:11

Reading50 I am a naturally anxious person. If I have no problems I can invent something to worry about! I found counselling a great help. I hope you get an appointment soon.
I also find meditation extremely useful. I find it calms me and helps me not to dwell on things. If you are interested I suggest
YouTube and look up Ten Minute Daily Meditations