Gransnet forums

Health

Measles in an adult

(16 Posts)
dustyangel Sun 17-Feb-19 15:58:16

M0nica, I’ve only just seen your and Pecs posts. Ironically I have had shingles, that’s partly how I’m sure that my mother wasn’t wrong when she said I’d had chicken pox as a child when my older sister did.
I was surprised (and pleased! ) that I was allowed to have the shingles vaccination when it was available to me. The varicella virus is certainly a strange one.

Thank you for your good wishes, although much better now, I needed a little cheering today. smile

PECS Sat 09-Feb-19 23:36:02

Sad there is a reduction in uptake of vaccination. There will be vulnerable children, babies and adults put at risk because others are reducing the protection mass vaccination brings.

M0nica Sat 09-Feb-19 22:50:04

dustyangel at least it wasn't shingles, but make sure you have the shingles jab as soon as you qualify.

In the meanwhile look after yourself and I do hope you feel better soon flowers

dustyangel Sat 09-Feb-19 19:59:37

I’ve just had chicken pox for the second time, I’ve got a second appointment with the GP this week so it hasn’t been officially diagnosed, he will quite probably say “that’s ridiculous” but it has been a classic case and I have felt terrible.
Fortunately I have a very caring husband so I have been able to rest but I second Monica’s advice and I hope you start to feel improve soon.

M0nica Sat 09-Feb-19 19:25:13

It is quite a serious illness in adults, or can be. make sure you take care of yourself. Keep all your crockery and cutlery separate from other members of the household and wash them separately.

But mainly just make yourself comfortable on bed or on the sofa, pull over a throw, up the thermostat and relax and do nothing, and if possible get others to wait on you hand and foot. That is serious advice you need to keep warm, rested and hydrated, until you start feeling better.

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:43:04

There is a notice in our local hospital warning that there is a measles outbreak in our area.

annodomini Sat 09-Feb-19 16:40:19

My aunt became blind in one eye as a result of having measles as a young adult. It is a very serious disease.

annodomini Sat 09-Feb-19 16:40:18

My aunt became blind in one eye as a result of having measles as a young adult. It is a very serious disease.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Feb-19 16:39:22

I know a family who all had the measles recently.
The two older girls were hospitalised until it was diagnosed, as nobody knew what it was.
The much younger two fared a bit better.

annodomini Sat 09-Feb-19 16:38:07

I had rubella at 25, years before the vaccine became available. I remember the glands at the back of my neck, along the hairline became swollen and my hands were stiff and also swollen. The rash wasn't itchy and I wasn't ill for very long, but I did feel sorry for myself as it was the first time I had been ill away from home comforts!

PECS Sat 09-Feb-19 16:21:55

I had rubella as a young adult. So long since I have seen measles ..Probably 38 yrs ago whenDD1 caught it from DD2 who had just had the vaccine. Hope you stay well. I had heard it made adults feel very poorly so if you are not too ill maybe a virus?

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:16:56

Poor you!
If it is measles you should really keep away from bright light (although this time of year there is not that much anyway).
There are quite a few virus infections that come with a rash.

Caladryl lotion may help with the itchiness.

I found out that I had never had rubella and was given a rubella vaccination whilst in hospital after having my last child!

nanaK54 Sat 09-Feb-19 15:32:41

My DH had measles as an adult and was terribly poorly sad

ninathenana Sat 09-Feb-19 13:03:01

As a child of about 8 I remember sharing a bed with mum whilst dad slept in my room because mum and I both had measles. Mum was quite poorly.

MiniMoon Sat 09-Feb-19 09:43:39

My DH recently had rubella! He was covered in a red rash, and complained that he it itched.

GrandMotherof4 Sat 09-Feb-19 09:33:30

I’m in my late 60s and have been given a diagnosis of either measles or some other vital infection. I’m covered in spots which after 3 days are merging into a red rash. Very itchy too. Anyone else had this?