Gransnet forums

Health

OH has fractured femur - not a good situation

(937 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 26-Mar-19 10:35:34

As many of you will know, OH has had PD for many years and is very frail. He only weighs 6.5 stone. Sadly he fell yesterday and has a displaced fracture of his femur. He is not a good candidate for surgery - but there is no choice.

It is a worry that the ward do not have the air mattress that he needs and that he has at home - we had just got on top of the skin problem. He was on a trolley for 12 hours yesterday which will not have helped.

I am waiting to hear when the op will be.

GabriellaG54 Wed 27-Mar-19 09:12:17

All good wishes to you both. I hope today brings better news and your OH is comfortable. flowers?

sodapop Wed 27-Mar-19 12:25:24

Has anyone heard how Luckygirl's husband is today ?I hope he is getting all the care he needs.

jura2 Wed 27-Mar-19 18:55:41

Been thinking about her- but do not want to pm as she has probably got far too much on the plate to answer individual pms.

CAn't send flowers as this keyboard does not have square brackets. Hope you can send news soon. Hugs and xxx

MissAdventure Wed 27-Mar-19 19:26:46

So sorry to hear this, Lucky.
Sending every good wish to you and your husband.
flowers

Luckygirl Wed 27-Mar-19 19:44:38

I was called in to be with him this morning as he was confused and paranoid. It was a difficult day as he kept wanting to get up to the toilet, but he has a catheter in - and anyway cannot get up. He was due to have the surgery at 1 pm, and I was concerned as I felt that being Nil By Mouth dehydration was fuelling his confusion - the urine in the bag was like orange juice cordial and his sputum was sticking in his throat (he already has trouble with this owing to his PD). I asked the sister to give him some fluids - he already had cannulas in. She had to to find a doc to write this up but arrived back with fluid bags and the news that his op had been cancelled! Apparently they had lots of emergencies and they also had to prioritise the frailest people on the original list - OH weighs 6.5 stone and has advanced PD - how much frailer can you get I wonder? Once OH got some fluids in he became much more lucid - weak and in pain, but at least I could hold a rational conversation with him.

We had an equally ridiculous time yesterday trying to get him proper pain relief - when I arrived to visit he was saying he wanted to die as he was in such pain. Eventually - later in the evening - the sister just "happened" to manage to grab a passing doc to sign him up for proper analgesia. It makes me frightened to leave him as I do not feel confident he is getting proper care. They are all so frantically busy.

So.....we wait and see what happens tomorrow - I will ring about 10 and see what is going on.

nanaK54 Wed 27-Mar-19 19:48:25

Oh poor man, I'm so sorry to read your update. Sincerely hope that tomorrow is a better day flowers

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Mar-19 19:55:43

Oh dear, they sound overstretched but that is no good to your DH or you
I hope he is prioritised for his operation now
flowers

jura2 Wed 27-Mar-19 19:57:39

Thank you for sending news. I truly feel for you, for him and the whole family. Try and get some sleep as you need to keep up your strength. xxx

merlotgran Wed 27-Mar-19 19:59:54

How worrying for you, Luckygirl. I hope you get some better news tomorrow.

Luckygirl Wed 27-Mar-19 20:01:25

He went from 6 am to 5 pm (when the op was cancelled) with no fluids. The nurses were running about madly all day and doctors were like hen's teeth. They are all unfailingly kind and polite - but just too busy to get a proper job done.

There was only one of the junior nurses who seemed to have had a compassion bypass - but luckily she did not deal with OH.

jura2 Wed 27-Mar-19 20:04:09

what on earth is happening to the NHS - it is so tragic.

kittylester Wed 27-Mar-19 20:14:21

What a worry for you Lucky. PleSe have some time for yourself.

sodapop Wed 27-Mar-19 21:22:06

Oh dear that's not good Lucky you must both be struggling in this situation. I hope tomorrow brings better news for you. Take care of yourself too as Kitty said.

Ginny42 Wed 27-Mar-19 21:36:33

Hope the operation goes well Luckygirl. It probably makes your girls feel better thinking they're looking after you. Hope you manage to get some sleep.

GrandmainOz Wed 27-Mar-19 21:44:17

luckygirl flowers to you and your husband. I'm thinking of you both

Luckygirl Wed 27-Mar-19 22:13:08

Many thanks for all kind words. I am just about to spend my first night in the house on my own for decades. It feels pretty strange. The girls wanted one of them to stay with me but I felt that I will have to get used to i and might as well start now.

I fear for his ability to survive this - he is very frail indeed and I have seen the result of a fractured femur on frail elderly people; but if he does pull round he will be in hospital for a long time and will need to go for rehab; so - I am determined to just get on with it here.

dragonfly46 Wed 27-Mar-19 22:24:15

Oh Lucky I have only just seen this. I am so sorry you have this to contend with. I hope you get a good nights sleep and your DH has the op tomorrow flowers

Bellanonna Wed 27-Mar-19 23:24:09

Luckygirl ?

cornergran Wed 27-Mar-19 23:32:32

Sleep well if you possibly can lucky, you’ve done all you can for your husband today, now time to rest flowers.

muffinthemoo Wed 27-Mar-19 23:37:58

Lucky, you are both in my thoughts. flowers

Please, get all the rest your mind will let you get. You need your strength in mind and body.

kittylester Thu 28-Mar-19 07:51:03

Morning Lucky, I hope you had a good night. Please keep us posted. brew

travelsafar Thu 28-Mar-19 08:05:28

Enjoy some unbroken sleep and some peace and quite, you deserve it .flowers

Jane10 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:12:24

I sincerely hope things are better for you both today. It's good that you are there to advocate for him at the hospital.

Sparklefizz Thu 28-Mar-19 08:19:16

Lucky I have come late to this. I am so sorry to hear what you both are going through flowers. Thank goodness he has you to fight his corner for him at the hospital. I hope you are managing to get some rest and that he gets through the surgery.

Look after yourself. Sending you hugs. x

Auntieflo Thu 28-Mar-19 08:24:57

Lucky, just catching up with you and the difficulties you are facing. Sorry to hear that Mr Lucky had to have his op postponed. Did you manage to get any sleep? Joining with all the other GN's who are sending {{{hugs}}} and flowers