Gransnet forums

Health

OH has fractured femur - not a good situation

(936 Posts)
Baggs Tue 26-Mar-19 11:35:52

Oh dear, lucky, that is rotten. I do hope your OH is well looked after and that the surgery does not cause further problems. All best wishes coming your way.

annsixty Tue 26-Mar-19 11:31:27

So sorry to hear that Luckygirl my own H is in hospital and on getting him onto the ward the first thing as they got him into bed was to check his back and his heels for sores.
I felt they would be taking it very seriously.
I hope he gets through the op with no complications.

kittylester Tue 26-Mar-19 11:10:18

Oh no, Lucky! Can you contact PALS? Can they advocate for/with you?

Wish we could help!

EllanVannin Tue 26-Mar-19 11:02:58

Aww, poor soul. My heart goes out to you Luckygirl.x

Charleygirl5 Tue 26-Mar-19 10:50:16

stella he is in a hospital- it is not up to Luckygirl to be hiring equipment.

stella1949 Tue 26-Mar-19 10:45:51

You can hire air mattresses and other pressure-relieving devices. In your situation I'd do that - if he gets a pressure sore it will be serious . I do hope you get some news soon, op.

jura2 Tue 26-Mar-19 10:44:45

Oh no I am so so sorry to hear. Have you spoken to the ward sister/manager about his special needs and previous bed sores, etc. Or get a special overlay for the main part of body from Red Cross. This is just so so wrong- 12 hours on trolley in his poor physical shape. My heart goes out to you and your family- it must be so painful and stressful to see he is not getting the best care. Hugs.

gillybob Tue 26-Mar-19 10:42:41

Oh I am so sorry to hear this Lucky as if you both didn’t have enough to contend with . My late mum spent a lot of time in hospital and as a dialysis patient with bone cancer, she needed to lie still for hours on end which meant she had the most horrific bed sores . They did provide her with an air mattress ( after much nagging by me and threatening to bring her own in from home) . I’m so sorry I can’t add anything helpful but sending my very best wishes to you both and hope the operation is sooner rather than later and goes well . Life’s cr@p sometimes . sad

midgey Tue 26-Mar-19 10:38:59

Luckygirl I am so sorry to hear this, wishing you both well.flowers

ffinnochio Tue 26-Mar-19 10:38:47

What a miserable situation for you both. I do hope your husband receives the best possible care.

Luckygirl Tue 26-Mar-19 10:35:34

As many of you will know, OH has had PD for many years and is very frail. He only weighs 6.5 stone. Sadly he fell yesterday and has a displaced fracture of his femur. He is not a good candidate for surgery - but there is no choice.

It is a worry that the ward do not have the air mattress that he needs and that he has at home - we had just got on top of the skin problem. He was on a trolley for 12 hours yesterday which will not have helped.

I am waiting to hear when the op will be.