Gransnet forums

Health

Borderline T2 Diabetes

(29 Posts)
BlueSky Fri 29-Mar-19 09:30:36

At my last blood test check up I was surprised to learn that my glucose is borderline. This despite eating a healthy diet, no sweet stuff, no smoking, walk every day. The nurse put it down to age (70) Being a vegetarian I do rely a lot on carbohydrates (mainly pasta, potatoes, rice) which I didn't think they would put your blood sugar up. I have noticed feeling rather weak before food and bloated after. I also have high bp. Any experience or suggestions?

Lazigirl Sun 31-Mar-19 19:33:33

I was also told I was pre diabetic a couple of years ago despite being within normal weight range. I panicked of course, did some research, read Michael Mosley and immediately reduced my carb intake. Lost about a stone and also lost the pre diabetes diagnosis. I am now very careful to restrict my intake of potatoes, rice and pasta, but haven't cut them out completely. I think the blood sugar monitor is a very good idea jeanie99, because as you say, we all react differently to carbs. Check out the LowCarb Support Thread.

qulityketodiet Fri 09-Oct-20 11:26:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jane43 Thu 15-Oct-20 12:05:46

Just after DH was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes there was a BBC programme The Truth About Carbs. It was so enlightening we watched it twice and I would recommend you watch it, it may be on You Tube. Just from watching this we leaned that a baked potato contains the equivalent of 20 teaspoons of sugar to a diabetic and we have both made baked potatoes which we previously considered healthy an occasional treat. We also read a lot of Michael Mosley’s information on low carb eating and intermittent fasting which we also found very useful. We made a lot of mistakes at first for example thinking rice cakes would be better for him than bread but in fact rice should be avoided so he changed to oat cakes and limited seeded bread which have helped to lower his cholesterol. DH has had two annual blood tests since his diagnosis and has stayed in the normal range. We have changed our shopping and eating habits and both lost three stone in weight. DH’s cholesterol was borderline high and the GP wanted him to go on medication but he asked her if he could try to bring it down through diet. We changed to oat milk, oat cakes, Seeded bread, Cholesterol lowering drinks and Benecol spread and his cholesterol came down to normal. He also used to have borderline high blood pressure but is now in the normal range. So DH has avoided three different medications through changing his eating habits and a little more exercise. Medication has its place of course but for now he has managed to avoid taking it, he consulted with the GP about trying to do without medication and she agreed to give him three months to try the dietary approach which in his case worked.