Gransnet forums

Health

Maybe this will help someone

(11 Posts)
MrsJamJam Mon 08-Apr-19 12:12:12

I had a total hip replacement 10 days ago and it is transforming my life for the better. If anyone is suffering and wondering whether to brave surgery I just wanted to tell you that it makes a wonderful difference very quickly. Won't pretend the first five days or so were not pretty challenging but since then the improvement is pretty dramatic. I am dutifully following the instructions not to push it too far, even though I feel I could do almost anything. The only thing I need help with is the sock on my right foot - can't reach my toes yet!

Teetime Mon 08-Apr-19 13:15:39

Well done I am glad to hear it all went well and you are well on the way to recovery. Thank you for reassuring others awaiting surgery.

David1968 Mon 08-Apr-19 13:20:23

Thank you for this reassuring post. (I'm not at this stage yet, but it may come!) Good to hear your wise words - here's wishing you a good recovery.

Grannybags Mon 08-Apr-19 13:33:21

Thanks for letting us know. It's nice to hear of a happy outcome!

Rowantree Mon 08-Apr-19 13:37:53

Thank you for posting this!
My father, aged 92, is hoping to be referred for one. His arthritis is agonising, yet he had to fund his own knee replacement because the GP refused to refer him.

He's in such pain he is willing to fund this one too and though I'm anxious for him, it is heartening to read that it has such a dramatic positive effect so quickly.

crazyH Mon 08-Apr-19 13:38:27

Mrsjamjam, would mind telling us how long it took for you to see a consultant, timeline, waiting for op etc.
I am having awful problems with my right knee - I must make an appointment to see GP, who I hope will refer me on to an orthopaedic consultant. I am surviving on painkillers and NSAIDs. Thankyou . Glad you are doing well.

SueDonim Mon 08-Apr-19 14:09:03

Mrsjamjam my mother had a hip replacement some ten years ago, in her 80's, and it transformed her life, too. Apart from the physical benefits, the freedom from pain meant she suddenly looked ten years younger - it also acted as an instant face lift!

It really is one of medicine's miracle stories. Good luck with your continued recovery.

tiredoldwoman Mon 08-Apr-19 14:18:42

Wow Mrs Jamjam , that's wonderful , an improvement so quickly . I'm waiting to get a date for a knee replacement , Ive to go for a pre-op assessment in 2 weeks first . How long did you have to wait after yours ?

MrsJamJam Mon 08-Apr-19 19:03:40

Thanks all for the messages. I have PM'd you, crazy H. Onwards and upwards!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:16:38

That's good to hear. I hope they remembered to advise you not to sleep on the side of the affected hip.

Lisagran Mon 08-Apr-19 19:32:43

www.mobilitysmart.co.uk/easy-pull-sock-aid.html?ff=1&fp=10824&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJ2_jpDB4QIVY7HtCh2MiwNREAQYDSABEgIO8_D_BwE

You can get simple aids to help with putting your sock on - like this one. I had a hip replacement 3 years ago - as you say, makes a huge difference.