Gransnet forums

Health

Vitamin D stopped

(122 Posts)
blondenana Wed 10-Apr-19 22:15:50

Had to go to see Dr for a review of my prescriptions, and as my own Dr was off for 12 weeks after an operation,i had to see a locum,
I am absolutely fuming as she tried to stop some of my medication,
My own Dr put me on Vit D 800 mg,she said you dont need those you can buy some they are cheap enough only about £1
I said surely my Dr wouldnt have put me on a high strength if he didnt think i needed them, also tried to stop my HRT ,at that i said i would prefer to see my own Dr when he returned
Who do these locums think they are,i didnt ask for the Vit D.i agree that meds like paracetamol shouldnt be given on prescription ,but i do object to a Dr who doesnt know me taking any of my meds away

rosecarmel Fri 10-May-19 13:34:45

www.cbsnews.com/news/generic-drugs-manufactured-overseas-may-not-be-as-safe-as-you-think/

I thought this article would contribute to the otc/generic drug discussion ..

Anja Mon 15-Apr-19 07:38:09

I rely on paracetamol Jaxie for arthritis pain and I would never consider it on prescription. Either myself or DH gets it when we do our shopping. You do buy food don’t you?

Nobody would have to ‘be running to the shop every day’ as the maximum you can take every day is 8. Therefore even if you only buy the 16 packs those two would last you for 4 days.

Jaxie Mon 15-Apr-19 07:32:15

If you are in constant pain as I am with osteoarthritis, yet cannot take strong painkillers because they give me stomach bleeds then paracetamol is the only answer. I wouldn't mind buying it in pharmacies or supermarkets rather than getting it on prescription but they only let you buy 2 packets at a time. I need to take so many that I would be running ( if only I could) to the shops every day to buy them, whereas my doctor can prescribe enough to keep me going for a month. I've been paying NI since 1959, so I think I'm entitled.

Boosgran Sun 14-Apr-19 17:29:02

Thank you Anja.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 16:40:19

Indeed you can Boosgran and that’s why it can build up,to toxic levels if you overdose. Same with most fat soluble vitamins.

Perhaps GabbyG is thinking of Vit C. It’s next to it alphabetically ?

Boosgran Sun 14-Apr-19 12:43:04

You can store Vit D in your body @GabriellaG54. You are incorrect. Please check your facts.

Callistemon Sat 13-Apr-19 21:30:16

I know a few vegetarians who are rosy and bouncing with health. It all depends on how well they manage their diets.

Callistemon Sat 13-Apr-19 21:29:04

In northern climes you can only get Vit D from the sun from about April to September and then only enough if you expose arms and legs to the sun. In the summer we may use sun cream to stop our skin burning so that prevents Vit D getting through.
You may get enough Vit D in those summer months, but not everyone spends that much time outdoors especially if they are working.
www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-to-get-vitamin-d-from-sunlight/#winter-sunlight

blondenana Sat 13-Apr-19 18:17:24

Gabriella it was standard to do those things when we were kids,i also had the cod liver oil and malt and the orange juice which i loved,
I am not allowed to drink orange juice now as it ups the iron in my body, but we are all different, and you might not need extra vitamins but some people do,
I am not supposed to eat much meat either, which i dont anyway really
I am just annoyed that another Dr who doesnt know me or my history can change what my own Dr thinks i need
I know a few vegetarians, who are very pale and always ill

GabriellaG54 Sat 13-Apr-19 17:57:58

us/lkke/weight/immunizations
is/like/weighed/immunisations
Sorry blush

GabriellaG54 Sat 13-Apr-19 17:52:16

123coco
I should have been clearer.
As vitamin D cannot be stored in your body you can absorb it from simply being outside. It does not need to be sunny at all so no-one us suggesting that you end up lkke a piece of leather.
15 minutes a day outside, either walking, gardening whatever... the sun is there regardless of the weather. You just can't always see it and, of course, it's weaker when clouds or rain obscure it.
I'm not suggesting that it works for people who have some health problems which necessitate a much higher dosage than you would normally need.
Vitamins are rarely needed if you eat a healthy diet and have fresh-air and exercise. You can however, overload on vitamins and it can be dangerous.
I'm a vegetarian with very fair skin so you can bet that I never ever sit in the sun, not even in Britain yet I don't need or take vitamins.
It might be luck but at 75 I think that's pretty good going.
The only thing I have had every day since I was about 2yrs old is a dessert-spoonful of original Malt extract.
When I and my siblings were children, mum took us to the children's clinic every week where our height and weight were recorded and babies were weight in the scoop of scales and children stood on the 'proper scales.
It was there that we had our immunizations and mum bought cod-liver oil and bottles of very thick orange juice which she diluted with boiled cooled water to give us every day.
When we were older we had small bottles (1/3 pint) of orange juice delivered by our milkman and mum made sure we took our daily cod-liver oil capsule when we drank it. I remember having to stand in the pantry to take it.
I thank mum often for taking care of my health as it's stood me in good stead.

humptydumpty Sat 13-Apr-19 17:25:13

FWIW, just checked my vitD/calcium prescribed for osteoporosis against previous over-the-counter meds:

OTC: vit D 5 micrograms, calcium 800 mg
presciption: vit D 25 micrograms, calcium 1000 mg

so I doubt whether this could be bought OTC

EmilyHarburn Fri 12-Apr-19 11:19:44

I buy my vit D which was originally on prescription

Framilode Fri 12-Apr-19 09:19:18

Going back to an earlier comment about oestrogen only HRT. I am 72 and have just had my prescription renewed by the GP. She was eulogising about all the benefits to health, re heart attacks, strokes, dementia, osteoporosis and mentioned that there is just a very small increase in risk for breast cancer.

I was hugely relieved as I was sure she was going to take me off it. Her attitude has completely changed in the last year.

Jane10 Fri 12-Apr-19 08:17:09

Why have they stopped prescribing that drug? Has it been found to be dangerous in some way?

maddy629 Fri 12-Apr-19 07:38:40

I buy my own vitamin tablets but my surgery have stopped prescribing my Arthritis medication. It took an email to my M.P. to get them back. Before anyone here starts saying I can use something else I have tried other tablets and none work.

rosecarmel Thu 11-Apr-19 22:46:49

Over the counter?

rosecarmel Thu 11-Apr-19 22:44:22

I wonder if the sun is a generic drug or a prescription drug ........ ?

rosecarmel Thu 11-Apr-19 22:41:14

The sky went grey here early this year and didn't lighten up until recently - I went outside daily anyway, even if I just stood there, rake in hand, while staring out over a sea of fallen leaves .. I stood and I stood imaging what the yard would look like after I got the job done .. That was last month! I've just recently received a boost of energy from the sun .. Most of the leaves have been raked, taking all of 2 days!

EllanVannin Thu 11-Apr-19 22:37:53

Over he counter drugs are generic which lists a number of drugs in different names than those which are advertised.
The only difference is the price. Generic drugs have the same components as brand named ones.

rosecarmel Thu 11-Apr-19 22:31:51

Matron, I'm certain we could underscore the similarities (in deep, earth tone shades) and the differences (in pastel, earth tone shades) of our combined rules and regulations -- because they're somewhat like an amalgam .. smile

Countries learn "stuff" from one another, like we are learning from each other today!

Like how over the counter drugs are different than prescription ..

smile

X

blondenana Thu 11-Apr-19 22:09:42

I have seen locums before,and usually liked them,i think it was more the attitude of this one, and also found the male locums nicer in attitude
Also yes i am on the basic state pension, and live alone,so only one income, but some vitamins are reasonably cheap
I did go for a review, and thats ok, but she could have just gone over things with me,but still left it up to my own Dr to decide, next time i will wait until i can see him

jura2 Thu 11-Apr-19 21:50:40

Matron- and let's hope it will remain so in the future.

nookie Thu 11-Apr-19 21:48:54

We live in a country where we are supposed to get 300 days of sunshine. The health service is very good, we have regular blood tests. Yet I know quite a few people who register low for vitamin D. The worry of skin cancer on our Northern European skin is considerable. I read a report recently that blamed sun screen for the increase in the lack of Vit. D. Rock & a hard place.

Matron Thu 11-Apr-19 21:24:23

The rules and regulation regarding drugs is different in the USA to here in the UK.