Gransnet forums

Health

dance for over 60's and silver swans ballet

(11 Posts)
sylviemc Thu 11-Apr-19 20:45:18

I started Silver Swans ballet classes about 8 months ago and love every minute of it - it is also changing how i walk and stand and strengthening muscles I didn't know ever existed - I plan to continue until I am too old to move or our teacher has to stop herself - does anybody else here try it out or some other form of dance for fitness totally love it - great for memory and mind and concentration and fitness and strength and everything - as we often have a lovely coffee and chat afterwards too so we can talk about ballet even more

EllanVannin Thu 11-Apr-19 21:58:24

I did ballet as a youngster which is probably why I don't have any aches and pains in my joints now. It's something that you start young to remain supple for the future. It's still good for balance though.

Dottygran59 Mon 15-Apr-19 15:40:22

Ooooh, love the sound of this! Just checked - there is a SS class in my area, just one class on an evening every week, have e mailed them.

My DGD has just started ballet lessons, what a lovely thing to have in common with her - she is 3 and I am 60 - never had a lesson in my life.

I am neither lithe nor limber, not particularly flexible and zero sense of rhythm, yet when I hear the music from Swan Lake my heart soars.

Was only thinking over the weekend that I ought to start striking out and making a life for myself for when I retire in 6 weeks - all it seems to be at the moment is work, gardening and looking after DGC!!

Thanks for the tip, I hope more people comment and join and we can spur each other on!

shysal Mon 15-Apr-19 15:46:14

I did ballet for 1 year when I was 5 and although I was petite I just wasn't graceful! I am sure I would be like an elephant if I tried now. I prefer aerobic type routines rather than dance. It sounds great for anyone who loves ballet - have fun!

Grannybags Mon 15-Apr-19 15:49:12

I've found one quite near me too and have emailed them. My DGD has just taken her Stage 1 exam. She is 7 I'm 66!

Just got to pluck up the courage to go now!

Nonnie Mon 15-Apr-19 16:06:49

What a lovely idea, I've emailed my local one as well. Someone has to be the worst in the class so it might as well be me. Bet there are lots of people who have danced before and know what they are doing!

M0nica Mon 15-Apr-19 21:07:44

I have wanted to do this for some years, but there are none in my area. The nearest is about 20 miles away, after that 30 miles plus.

I always wanted to do ballet but couldn't as a childbecause of health problems.

BlueSapphire Fri 17-May-19 18:15:52

I went to my first Silver Swans yesterday. It was a really good workout, but lots to remember. The reminding about posture all the time will really help I think. It's a quite different way of moving. It was good fun though!

Ellianne Thu 26-Sep-19 16:10:44

I've recently joined a Silver Swans class and am really enjoying it. What I want to ask is what do you dancers wear and what colour? Thanks.

silverlining48 Thu 26-Sep-19 16:45:34

Thanks ladies, I have just found out I too have a local silver swan class and will be giving it a try week after next ( away next week). I am looking forward ...to making a fool of myself.
I very briefly did ballet 65 years ago and still have my ballet shoes from that time, sadly they are now a tad small. Was told to wear flexible footwear....plus whatever clothes I feel comfy in. If they all turn up in tutu’s I will run a mile.

Ellianne Thu 26-Sep-19 16:50:30

Tutus ha ha!! A lot of the ladies at my class wear stringy type tops over another t shirt. I'm not quite sure why, but most of them are a good few years younger than I am! My navy leggings look fine and I bought canvas ballet shoes which are comfy, it's just my flabby top half! Oh yes, and why is everyone all in black?