Gransnet forums

Health

Turmeric and Honey

(13 Posts)
Megs36 Mon 15-Apr-19 13:29:45

Lots of ads about the above, supposed to be good for reheumatics and various other problems. Quite expensive, has anyone tried this and does it help?????

Labaik Mon 15-Apr-19 13:47:59

I did read that anything sweet negates the anti arthritic properties of turmeric [although I have to admit to using honey myself as it's the only way I can drink it unless I'm using it in cooking.

Day6 Mon 15-Apr-19 13:54:51

I bought some turmeric tablets recently, having read about its beneficial properties.

It is mixed with black pepper and most advocates suggest it should be taken with black pepper.

It's early days. No idea yet if it will help with my aches and pains and inflammation.

Day6 Mon 15-Apr-19 13:56:17

I may have been the susceptible idiot who's bought snake oil, who knows? grin

JackyB Mon 15-Apr-19 14:02:55

After someone recommended turmeric and pepper here on GN some time ago, I tried it (in tablet form) as it seemed to address many of the problems I have. I can't say I noticed any difference, although in retrospect, it may have given me some relief from sciatica. Perhaps I ought to try again. It doesn't seem to do any harm.

I will see if I can find the other thread so you can see what people's comments were at the time.

Ginny42 Mon 15-Apr-19 14:04:23

I read turmeric, oil and black pepper for aches and pains. It's an anti-inflammatory. Pieces of warm crusty bread, dipped in small dish of olive oil with some black pepper and turmeric - delicious, BUT it stains teeth and nails and anything else it comes into contact with. Possibly better with the tablets. Some people use a turmeric poultice on a particularly painful joint.

JackyB Mon 15-Apr-19 14:09:39

I recently read "A house for Mr Biswas" by V S Naipaul, about the Indian community in Trinidad.. The children were often fed milk with turmeric for their health.

Here is one conversation:

www.gransnet.com/forums/.../1252472-Turmeric-and-pepper

But if you search GN for 'turmeric and pepper' you will see that there have been several threads on the topic.

jura2 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:39:17

We went to a lecture on medicinal plants, by a famous plant pharmacologist/Dr - and he said that they have had excellent results in slowing down and even treating, Alzheimers and Dementia. Never taken supplements before- but we have both been taking a Turmeric extract capsule (Curcumin) and on capsule of Turmeric and pepper powder for about 1 year.

It is a strong anti-inflammatory so is also great with arthritis.
It is also supposed to help with some forms of cancer - especially prostate. As we have recently experienced a bit of a 'miracle' (and I don't believe in miracles ... but ...) we are going to continue taking them- and we will probably never know if they have helped.

jura2 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:40:50

The Prof explained that it is very difficult to obtain the necessary funds for proper research for such herbal based treatment- because Big Pharmas cannot make tons of money out of natural plants. Sad, really.

jura2 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:42:15

We get the curcumin from Holland and Barrett, when they have 2 for 1 sales.

ffinnochio Tue 16-Apr-19 18:49:46

When out and about recently, I had a tea of turmeric, honey, ginger and lemon. Delicious. No idea about it’s health properties.
Since Mr. Finn no longer drinks traditional tea or coffee, this is his drink of choice.

dragonfly46 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:54:48

It is turmeric root which is effective not the powder you put in curries. The tablets from Health Food shops are very effective for sciatica etc.

jura2 Tue 16-Apr-19 19:32:49

the powder you put in curries if made from the root.