Gransnet forums

Health

When you are convinced it is the pills making you fat....

(35 Posts)
Alima Tue 23-Apr-19 13:33:56

I gave up smoking just over 10 months ago, put on about 7lbs in the following 6 months and thought that whilst I’d have to watch it that wasn’t too bad. Just before Christmas I was put on Carbimazole as I have Hyperthyroidism. That is when you are supposed to lose weight. Not me, gone totally the other way, appetite gone through the roof and I have now gained two stone compared to what I was a year ago. At the moment I cannot go on a diet, I see food I eat it, probably kill to get there first. Decided this morning that I would stop taking the pills. Have a blood test in two weeks and a doctors appointment in 3 weeks. Has this happened to any other Gnetters?

Nonnie Tue 30-Apr-19 17:26:30

Jura is right. Anyone with thyroid issues needs to be monitored carefully because there are problems whichever way you go if you take too much. I think there is an issue about what 'normal' means in terms of blood tests though.

We all just have to adapt our eating accordingly I'm afraid.

Sara65 Mon 29-Apr-19 22:01:41

Grand2213
That’s very interesting, I must admit propranolol changed my life, I used to spend several days a month in bed, unable to do anything, and my migraines completely vanished.
My doctor has been trying to get me off them for years, but I resisted, eventually, just before Christmas he became more insistent, and I stopped taking them.
For several weeks I felt wretched, heart pounding, restless, no appetite, but also no migraines!
The only real benefit I think, is that I’m sleeping better, but I feel fine now , and I’m glad I came off them

Lemmony99 Mon 29-Apr-19 19:19:19

Zoloft and Weight: Does Zoloft(Sertraline) Cause Weight Gain?
addictionresource.com/drugs/zoloft/weight/
Rating: 3.7 - ‎32 votes
Zoloft and Weight Gain. Health experts state that antidepressants contain ingredients that associate with the weight gain. Sertraline, for example, may trigger food cravings, especially for carbohydrates. It may also affect metabolism.

KatyK Thu 25-Apr-19 09:45:56

Thank you Grandma2213

Grandma2213 Thu 25-Apr-19 00:13:37

KatyK I told the GP how I was feeling and asked the best way to cut down. I cut the pills in half and took half a pill less the first couple of weeks and then carried on decreasing over about 6/8 weeks. I was a bit worried about the migraines coming back and that the worrying itself might cause them but that didn't happen. I started to feel better after two or three weeks but I guess you need to self monitor and listen to your own body.

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 15:31:24

Sorry! Couldn't resist. Only joking.

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 15:31:00

Yeah. Fluoxetine makes me fat. Said she, stuffing in the last of today's Easter egg.

Lemmony99 Wed 24-Apr-19 15:07:15

Anti - depressants have made me gain 4 stones .I am starving all the time when on them ,and have tried to decrease the dose to no avail .Sertraline is my fat pill , plus I have an underactive thyroid so am on Levo.

KatyK Wed 24-Apr-19 09:44:48

Thank you Grandma2213 I am finding I am breathless and have just had a cold, my first for over 30 years. It may be coincidence. May I ask how you went about cutting them down?

jura2 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:28:50

But from the risks involved with hyperthyroïdism- I'd say putting a bit of weight on is the least of your worries- but it is hard to adjust to smaller portions and lower calories if you have been able to eat all you want previously because you were hyper.

"Hyperthyroidism can lead to a number of complications:

Heart problems. Some of the most serious complications of hyperthyroidism involve the heart. These include a rapid heart rate, a heart rhythm disorder called atrial fibrillation that increases your risk of stroke, and congestive heart failure — a condition in which your heart can't circulate enough blood to meet your body's needs.
Brittle bones. Untreated hyperthyroidism can also lead to weak, brittle bones (osteoporosis). The strength of your bones depends, in part, on the amount of calcium and other minerals they contain. Too much thyroid hormone interferes with your body's ability to incorporate calcium into your bones.
Eye problems. People with Graves' ophthalmopathy develop eye problems, including bulging, red or swollen eyes, sensitivity to light, and blurring or double vision. Untreated, severe eye problems can lead to vision loss.
Red, swollen skin. In rare cases, people with Graves' disease develop Graves' dermopathy. This affects the skin, causing redness and swelling, often on the shins and feet.
Thyrotoxic crisis. Hyperthyroidism also places you at risk of thyrotoxic crisis — a sudden intensification of your symptoms, leading to a fever, a rapid pulse and even delirium. If this occurs, seek immediate medical care.“

jura2 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:25:40

Being hyperthyroïd keeps you slim even if you eat large portions and the opposite if you are hypothyroïd. Makes sense therefore that if a drug redresses the balance from hyper to normal- your calorie intake has to drop.

Dawn22 Wed 24-Apr-19 07:54:36

Modern medication can often be a bad deal weight wise. I take the antidepressant Lexapro and l have terrible night cravings for food. Such a shame as l have lost faith in it.

I would love to know has anyone been on a weight neutral antidepressant or does it exist.

Alima drink as much water as you can. That is one thing l do. Take care. Dawn

Alima Wed 24-Apr-19 06:33:16

Thanks Farmor!

Grandma2213 Wed 24-Apr-19 03:20:49

Sara65 and KatyK I was prescribed propranolol for a sudden increase in occurrence of migraines. While I was taking it I lacked energy, was breathless, kept falling asleep, had nightmares, was depressed and put on weight. Worst of all I continued to have migraines! I chose to gradually come off them over a couple of months and went back to normal, going to the gym, swimming and walking and of course losing the weight. I have only had a couple of migraines since and not very severe ones at that! I don't really know what to make of it.

Farmor15 Tue 23-Apr-19 22:52:13

Alima - Willow is talking about thyroxine dose for hypothyroid - actually it’s 125- 150 micrograms, not mg. Carbimazole dose is in mg and the higher the dose, the more it blocks production of your own thyroxine. I assume you’re getting regular blood tests to check if dose is correct. 25 mg is quite high- I used to be on 10 or 20. Usually people are started on a high dose and then reduced. You can ask for a copy of blood test results from doc’s surgery.

Alima Tue 23-Apr-19 20:10:43

Willow, 125-150mg seems a vast amount. I have been upped to 25mg and am piling the weight on. Thank you for your insight shysal. 3 years, I have a long way to go. Heartening to hear that you managed to shift the weight when you came off the pills. I will have to find some willpower before then I think. Good luck with the steroids.

Farmor15 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:38:55

I was hyperthyroid for years and on and off carbimazole. I didn’t lose weight, but could eat as much as I wanted without putting it on. I think I was a bit hyperthyroid all the time as I was inclined to forget to take the carbimazole and blood tests always showed me a bit hyper.

I finally had to get thyroid removed as it was very enlarged with nodules. I was put on thyroxine (Eltroxin) and was nervous that I would go hypo and put on weight. However, the dose seems to be correct and though I have put on a little, it’s more like the normal post-menopause increase most women get.

If you have a thyroid problem- hyper or hypo- it’s important to get regular blood tests to check levels. On carbimazole it needs to be checked every month or so, as there can be side effects which show up in blood tests.

Happiyogi Tue 23-Apr-19 16:35:07

Gonegirl thanks for putting up the link

Willow500 Tue 23-Apr-19 16:12:43

I've got hypothyroidism and have been on Thyroxine for years. I knew overdosing on it was bad for you but believed I was ok on the daily 150 mg rather than 125mg and 150 mg on alternate days as my weight seemed under control. Then 2 years ago I developed heart problems and blood tests showed I was taking too much so they reduced the dosage to 100mg. That coupled with the beta blockers have resulted in me putting 2 stone on over the last 18 months. I'm so fed up of it and am sure the medication changes are to blame sad

Gonegirl Tue 23-Apr-19 16:01:01

Here is a link to Happiyogi's doctor/writer's website

nutritionfacts.org/audio/

Grandma70s Tue 23-Apr-19 15:44:23

Thank you, shysal, though it’s rather depressing! I was thinking I was doing quite well, but it’s only three months.

Yes, I remember Marty Feldman. I never had the protruding eye thing, even when my hyperthyroidism was at its worst. I haven’t seen anyone with it, I don’t think.

Happiyogi Tue 23-Apr-19 15:42:35

Jane10 you're very welcome! I hope you'll find it as informative and helpful as I have.

shysal Tue 23-Apr-19 15:35:15

Grandma70s, I think my brother's relapse came about a year later. He now has the protruding eye problem associated with an overactive thyroid. I remember as a child seeing this quite often but he is the only person on whom I have seen it recently. He calls himself Marty Feldman - remember him?

Jane10 Tue 23-Apr-19 15:06:54

I've just ordered it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Happiyogi Tue 23-Apr-19 15:05:19

PS I meant to mention in my post up thread that the How Not to Die book is available from libraries, so the information can be accessed without having to make a purchase.