Gransnet forums

Health

Measles vaccination

(46 Posts)
GrandmaKT Thu 25-Apr-19 10:34:32

The lead story on BBC News this morning was the increase in measles cases due to children not being vaccinated.
I remember there were rumours going around when I had my DC in the 1980s that the MMR vaccination caused autism, but they were discredited.
It seems that myths still abound on the internet and this has led many parents to decide against vaccination. How do these rumours get started and spread? Is it maybe a reflection of the current "anti-expert" culture that people just don't trust medical advice any more?

Anja Tue 30-Apr-19 14:25:03

I am so sorry for those who have lost GC; but personally I would question the link with vaccination

There has in fact been a causal link between the MMR and febrile seizures and there has been a causal link established between febrile seizures and SUDC.

Believe me luckygirl we have not simply done the research but been part of the research. And my training and background mean I can evaluate evidence and statistical evidence.

Yes, sadly children do die as you point out and the causes have still to be discovered and are often unknown. Best we keep an open mind rather than just dismiss suggestions and lines of enquiry perhaps?

FlexibleFriend Tue 30-Apr-19 14:28:35

My eldest son was born in 1980 had his first set of jabs and came out in eczema from head to toe as a reaction and the Gp said to avoid having the measles jab when it was due which we did. Luckily he never got measles. Youngest son had all his jabs including mmr and promptly came down with measles, which I was informed wasn't caused by the jab, I think it was.

Grammaretto Tue 30-Apr-19 20:34:48

My DGD had her MMR booster last week and was kept on afterwards to monitor her for any adverse reactions. So they must half expect a reaction.
Fortunately she was fine.
I wonder why no one is doing research into any connections now between MMR and autism or other complications. Have they been frightened off by what happened to AW?

Anja Tue 30-Apr-19 20:41:54

There is plenty of research Grammaretto

notanan2 Tue 30-Apr-19 20:42:46

People mix up bacteria and viruses IMO

Exposure to normal bacterias and dirt etc does strengthen your immune system.

Viruses WEAKEN it. And can permanantly alter your DNA and organs.

I think people conflate the two a lot TBH.

Anja Tue 30-Apr-19 20:45:31

The one by the World Health Organisation is quite comprehensive and backed by scientific studies.

Of course, no vaccine is completely safe. But if all governments would just be upfront about possible risks against the quite obvious benefits, rather than denying any serious side effects, then people would trust more.

Plus, as I said upthread, giving the option of single vaccines.

notanan2 Tue 30-Apr-19 20:49:43

The case against singles is that multiple appointments = more likelihood of missing boosters so you end up with more children only half vaccinated for this and that. Which is in some ways more problematic than not vacvinated at all.

The cold chain for the triple is also much more reliable than the singles, making it more effective and less likely to have a bad or contaminated or ineffective batch

Anja Tue 30-Apr-19 20:56:27

The case against singles is purely cost and expediency.

Anja Tue 30-Apr-19 20:58:25

And what is worse, even if you wanted to opt for singles (which of course you have to pay for) some are not available in this country eg mumps

SpringyChicken Tue 30-Apr-19 22:06:07

Presumably adults who weren't vaccinated as children are stillsusceptible to these illnesses?

annodomini Tue 30-Apr-19 22:13:25

I didn't have German Measles when I was a child and there was no vaccination then, I caught it from a friend's children when I was 25 and had to keep well away from anyone likely to be pregnant. A lot of us who were not vaccinated for measles as children probably had it then.

Anja Wed 01-May-19 06:55:36

Yes, I’ve had measles and mumps and whooping coughing German measles, chicken pox. Never, fortunately, had polio or diphtheria.

I’m not against vaccination per se, in fact I paid to have all my grandchildren vaccinated against one of the meningococcal group when two local school children died.

My arguement is for more understanding of parents’ fears and a wider choice of vaccination delivery.

Grammaretto Wed 01-May-19 08:07:48

I agree with anja.
My DS caught measles aged 1. Even if there'd been a vaccination in those days he was too young to have it.
He was very ill for at least 2 weeks. DGM came to visit and helped me look after him.
There were no lasting effects and afterwards he seemed brighter and more energetic than ever as though his immune system had had a boost.

Summerlove Wed 01-May-19 12:33:18

Grammaretto, your son was a lucky one who had no adverse effects.

Many many children were not /and now again are not as lucky

BlueBelle Wed 01-May-19 16:05:40

I agree with vaccination I don’t agree with forced vaccination

Musicgirl Wed 31-Jul-19 03:25:57

Our oldest son is 28 and autistic. I have always firmly believed that the MMR triggered it (different from causing it). There were some bad batches of the MMR vaccine in the early nineties. Our second son had it and was thankfully alright but by the time our daughter was born in 1996 the first concerns about the MMR were being voiced. We paid for her to have the measles and rubella components separately and my nephew, who is the same age, had the measles and mumps components separately. The doctor who administered the vaccinations agreed with our gut feelings that a boy did not need the rubella vaccine, but it was vital for a girl and that the complications of mumps affect adolescent boys not girls. I am not anti-vaccine but feel parents should be offered the choice between the MMR and single vaccinations on the NHS.

Atqui Wed 31-Jul-19 10:14:16

Am I right in believing that the single vaccines are no longer available as a private ( fee paying ) option?

Atqui Wed 31-Jul-19 10:16:29

And sympathy to youAnja and your son or daughter. Parents wore nightmare . The vaccination debate is a minefield.

Atqui Wed 31-Jul-19 10:16:50

Worst

M0nica Wed 31-Jul-19 15:58:13

Anything in life has risks, but if you compare the risks of vaccination, and they are very rare, against the risks of death or lifelong serious disability as a result of getting measles, then the decision is a no brainer. The problem is that most people only look at the vaccination risks not the measles risks.

Anja I am truly sorry for your loss, but was it proved that the vaccination caused the death? often these things can be entirely unrelated, not cause and effect.