Gransnet forums

Health

Continuing health care funding

(41 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 05-May-19 08:35:13

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/238047?fbclid=IwAR25tHtHQ_kxPJwmRNsrhFluQpBs_bfYruCJnLtf7OPLTTmdAWTybk-ESAA

Here is the link to a petition asking for the wholly unfair system of continuing health care funding to be overhauled.

I have been locked in this mess for weeks.

annep1 Sun 12-May-19 08:45:29

Signed.

Luckygirl Sun 12-May-19 08:36:59

It is all so wrong. If some major thing goes wrong with the bungalow, we will be unable to pay for repairs - we had savings for this but they are vanishing like water down a plughole.

What makes me so cross is that there is no uniformity in the system - it is a postcode lottery. My OH is worse than my Dad was in Devon - he got the funding, OH has not.

And the dishonesty in the system - the reliance on people's ignorance - is just plain wicked.

Merelina Sat 11-May-19 23:37:00

Signed.
It should be so simple!! If a person has a medical condition or disease - then the NHS should be responsible for that person’s care and treatment. Ho! Ho! Of course it’s all down to money, which the powers that be daren’t admit, hence the ducking and diving and buck passing.

annsixty Sat 11-May-19 21:29:40

My H admitted to care with Alzheimer's and having had a severe stroke was not even considered for continuing care.
He was diagnosed with bladder cancer in January and was still not considered.
He had a fall in April and after being admitted to hospital it was found the cancer, 3 months on was aggressive and very advanced. He died 10 days later.
I am expected to pay care home fees until that date.
This cannot be right, but I am expected to pay.

Purpledaffodil Sat 11-May-19 21:06:53

Signed. Iniquitous system.

Motherofmany Sat 11-May-19 20:59:24

Done. Am staggered at the complexity, my two DCs both get continuing health care and I am saddened/furious that older people are being denied this essential service

BradfordLass72 Thu 09-May-19 07:12:33

I recently completed a survey from a university research centre in which it asked questions about health care.

It seemed very biased to me, giving 2 choices on one page such as :
'Would you give funding to 30 people with rare illnesses which were expensive to treat, or 100 people with more common ailment but were cheaper to treat?'

When it came to caring for elderly, it was obvious the questions were weighted to make sure answers indicated that people over a certain age should not be given quality health care.

The whole survey was based on the premise that the country had limited funds - something I don't actually believe when billions are found to bail out banks and businesses during the financial collapses.

Tax payers money needs to be managed better

No housewife would run her budget as Treasury does - investing overseas and neglecting the people of the home country.
But it seems as if we are being programmed not to expect good health care for our elderly......and ourselves.

NfkDumpling Wed 08-May-19 10:11:56

6580 have signed now.

I did manage to get it on the day dad died. Backdated two weeks! A small triumph.
And mum got a partial award for nursing only, for two months!! In her case it was the palliative nursing sisters support which swayed it.

But it was the backing of GNetters which gave me the persistence and the right words for which I am very grateful.

I nearly gave up at the first fence when mums doctor said he'd never heard of it!

Good luck Lucky girl.
Age Concern (are they still called that?) were a great help too. Someone came to the house to help word the forms and suggest where to get support statements.

Lazigirl Wed 08-May-19 09:45:28

I urge everyone also to write to their own MP to make them aware of the concerns over this lack of funding and unfair assessment for it. It may not be affecting you at present, but it may very well do in the future, and what is happening is really scandalous. When you are a carer, or someone in the family is, you are often too tired and overwrought to fight. I think Luckygirl is amazing, but it does take its toll.

Ginny42 Wed 08-May-19 06:51:09

This petition has slowed down. Such a crucial issue should at least reach the 10,000 mark so the Government must respond.

Only 6, 570 a few moments ago.

LadyGracie Mon 06-May-19 13:26:12

Signed

nanaK54 Mon 06-May-19 13:02:08

Signed

Thorntrees Mon 06-May-19 10:57:11

Signed ,sorry I can’t share as not on Facebook. Reading your posts about your struggles getting care Lucky certainly opened my eyes to the appalling state of things. I do hope the petition gets enough signatures.

Luckygirl Mon 06-May-19 10:28:22

Precisely.

Lazigirl Mon 06-May-19 09:06:24

The real problem lies in funding, or more accurately, lack of it. If they followed the law on this as Lucky said, very many would be eligible. The Government won't put the money in, so the system is operated in a very illegal, and dishonest manner, in the hope that people will just give up. It is a real scandal and the Government are too afraid to have an honest debate and deal effectively with the whole system of elderly care. They are more worried about the popular vote and staying in power.

Juliette Mon 06-May-19 08:26:01

Signed.
We lost on appeal, like thousands of others. The whole system needs a massive shake up. The line they draw between who qualifies and who doesn’t is so fine it’s imperceptible.
Hope you have more success than we did Luckygirl

GranEd Mon 06-May-19 08:04:32

Signed. Hope you’re successful. Best wishes.

loopyloo Mon 06-May-19 08:00:12

This scheme really needs reevaluating. Currently it goes to those with the most legal clout. I applied for it for my brother who had prostate cancer and dementia and all he could do was feed himself slowly How much weaker does he have to be ? I asked. When he has about 6 weeks to live.. was the answer. He was dead 3 weeks later.
He was in a nursing home using his own savings to pay for care.

morethan2 Mon 06-May-19 07:43:24

Oh and good luck, I’m sorry it’s adding so much stress on top of an already upsetting period.

morethan2 Mon 06-May-19 07:41:50

I’ve signed wish I could share it but I just don’t know how.

CocoPops Mon 06-May-19 04:59:30

Signed

NanTheWiser Sun 05-May-19 21:41:26

Done!

Ginny42 Sun 05-May-19 20:20:55

Signed and shared. Hope you and the thousands similarly affected are successful. x

Lona Sun 05-May-19 19:38:24

And shared on fb.

Lona Sun 05-May-19 19:36:59

Signed.