Gransnet forums



(5 Posts)
Anne107 Mon 06-May-19 13:12:31

I live in a one bedroom flat ground floor. After my husband died in 2008 I decided to downsize from a good sized 2 bedroom being I was now on my own. At first I was happy. The neighbour upstairs I had presumed he was on his own. Over the last 5 years it has become at times intolerable due to the noise from his flat. It now looks like a woman living there with him & she has a toddler aged about 3/4 or 2/3. I hardly see him so unsure if indeed he still lives there. The child continuously runs jumps runs jumps banging and banging & to make matters worse the taps when he or she turns them on makes a real loud noise (could be pipes) often keeping me awake (I now wear earplugs during night and at times during day to block out the continuous thumping and banging). Over the years there have been different people living there sometimes for months sometimes it appears for Weeks - all differs - sometimes with children sometimes a number of adults - I am suspicious the tenant illegally rents out his flat making money- all the people appear to be of African/ Nigerian appearance. I have reported to the landlord (Housing Association) after I myself made attempts to knock and speak to whoever is in - the door is never answered but I know there is someone up there. A staff member of Housing Association did pay them a visit some months back & reported back to me saying the tenant was very sorry & did not realise - also he claimed he has members of family visit him - as far as I am concerned he lies - I have seen some of his so called family arrive or leave with large suitcases? Over this weekend again my peace has been destroyed. I knocked on three separate occasions & each time they do not answer the door. As soon as I am back in flat it is quiet for 10mins at most & then noise all starts again - so they know what they doing. I am at my wits end. I have also been under hospital and due to have a cardio angiogram this coming Friday.

phoenix Mon 06-May-19 13:44:19

Sorry to hear this Anne, and other than speaking to the housing association again, I have no advice.

You could keep a "noise diary", which might help to make your case? It is very rude of them not to open the door when you knock.

M0nica Mon 06-May-19 18:45:55

Speak to your local councillor and go either to your local Age Uk or Citizen's Advice Bureau and ask for advice. Complain to the local council about the noise and, as recommended keep a noise diary.

What about his next door neighbours they must have the same noise problems as you. Have you spoken to them? If several flat occupiers complained to the HA it would put much more pressure on them.

If all else fails go to the local paper or radio station.

Telly Mon 06-May-19 19:19:47

I would contact the HA again. Point out that this is affecting your heath and ask for a transfer. Get a letter from your doctor or other medical professional. The advice about keeping a diary is spot on, together with visiting the CAB.

Anne107 Mon 06-May-19 19:47:25

Thank you all for your advice - yes i will get in touch with HA tomorrow- and I am due to see my GP so am going to mention to her what’s happening - the sad thing these days it seems to me is that no cares any more?? Years ago you could knock on your neighbours doors and ask politely just to keep noise down - but these days that is not possible it seems - have knocked on their door - I know they are in - they just won’t answer their door? I am getting more earplugs tomorrow- as this believe it or not helps a little - but I do resent that is now how I have to live - again thank you all xxx