Gransnet forums

Health

Is it all downhill after 70?

(122 Posts)
Luckylegs Fri 10-May-19 12:45:56

I’m feeling very miserable and down after what seems like a long line of illnesses, petty and otherwise recently.

I was feeling good because I was going to Zumba and line dancing as well as walking the dogs daily but suddenly I was struck down with labrynthitis which has led to other problems and inactivity for six weeks which has come now to weight gain and misery for me - and my poor husband!

I realise lots of you have much worse to deal with but please tell me it’s not all downhill now! It must improve, surely?

silverlining48 Mon 13-May-19 14:30:42

Glad you got a few appointments sorted out lucky. Good luck with it all.

silverlining48 Mon 13-May-19 14:32:10

Lucky ....And enjoy your holiday

Lisagran Mon 13-May-19 16:00:33

My mother-in-law (97!) died last week. The death certificate states “frailty of old age”. She certainly was too - old and very frail.

Gonegirl Mon 13-May-19 16:25:19

For me, it was downhill from 75. Mostly only, sometimes incapacitating, weariness, and the inability to easily carry out the physical things I always used to think nothing of doing. I used to be such a fast walker. Now I mostly hobble.

It happened so suddenly.

BlueSky Mon 13-May-19 17:22:14

Silverlining that's good to know that 5.5 cholesterol is good, then I don't need to worry about it! In my younger days the acceptable bp was 100+age! Now 140/90 is borderline high! confused

Teddy111 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:30:32

Bijou,just reading this old gransnet thread. Hoping you are still hale and hearty. I had been worrying about now being 71,was everything going to go downhill,you gave me inspiration. Thank you. xx

crazyH Sun 14-Jul-19 12:44:10

notentirely has probably missed the turning to mumsnet ?

Lisagran Sun 14-Jul-19 13:44:30

I picked up on that crazyH - but it turned out it was the way notentirely had worded it

How funny Lisagran, no I'm not 35, I'm 65! I was thinking of the 60s as a decade that I was halfway through. Thanks for picking that up, I can see it looks peculiar

travelsafar Sun 14-Jul-19 13:44:58

My downhill slope began when i hit 65, with sciatica, three herniated discs, floaters and forming cataracts in both eyes.MY BP and colesterol thankfully are still fine so on no medication apart from painkillers and stomach protectors. I must admit to being fearful for the future as sometimes i am in a lot of pain and it makes me feel really low when i realise that this may be it or worse for the rest of my lifesad. I try not to stop it from making me give up things, but it is hard sometimes when everything is accompanied by pain, it saps your joy and energy somehow. Well done to those who plod on regardless and try to keep a cheerful attitude. Its just harder some days than others.

Parsley3 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:50:45

Well, I am about to find out as I have just reached the dreaded three score and ten. At the moment I am embracing my 70ness but time will tell whether it is downhill from here or not. I would settle for maintenance of my present condition if I had the choice.

blondenana Sun 14-Jul-19 13:54:15

No it's not, i have been very lucky up to now, but don't want to jinx it, only thing i had mt cataracts done at about 65, and have iron overload ,but up to now no problems with it, shingles, but that's about all have drops in to preven glaucoma, but i think i must have good genes, mum and grandma lived to 96, and 92, neither on any medication, neither am i,
Only thing that has happened recently is sudden hair loss, which i wont go on about as already done that, but otherwise fine and in fact joining line dancing with one of my neighbours who kindly asked me if i fancied going with her
I am 76, but feel more like 26, oh well maybe 36 then grin

MawBroonsback Sun 14-Jul-19 13:59:31

It’s still better than the alternative Lucylegs

MawBroonsback Sun 14-Jul-19 13:59:52

Sorry! Typo Luckylegs

dragonfly46 Sun 14-Jul-19 14:16:39

I am 73 and feel as fit as a fiddle apart from getting more tired than I used to. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last November and have been on tablets ever since but they have not altered my quality of life.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 15:50:59

79 soon but not too bad and no worse than I was last year so I'm hoping nature's kind in introducing me to my 80th next year and still hoping I won't feel any different to this year. I'm determined to reach another 0 !

Only need glasses for reading and comp and they were only £1 from Asda--3.0 strength,which in 1989 they were 2.5, so not doing so badly at all.

Esspee Sun 14-Jul-19 16:04:37

I'm 70 and disgustingly healthy. I don't get colds or flu, haven't had any health problems since my hysterectomy at 40.
I'm often asked why and the only things I can think of is getting lots of sunshine and being on HRT for the last 30 years.

Resurgam123 Fri 19-Jul-19 08:00:21

And I am now needing hearing aids and awaiting a cataract op.
Not to mention the worn out back joint.
B****r getting old.

beautybumble Sun 21-Jul-19 13:06:36

I completely get why you're feeling down and worried, but no, it doesn't have to be downhill from here. You're obviously a very active person normally, so I would say keep pushing for that to continue. I know when I'm ill with flu or something, I start to worry that I will start being ill more now that I'm older, (69), but then I get better and carry on with my walking and exercises. We need to cut out as much sugar and salt as we can now and eat as many veggies and fruit as we can to give us nutrients to fuel us. Stay positive and you'll be happy and well. Good luck.

BlueSky Sun 21-Jul-19 18:37:54

The secret is genes plus lifestyle! smile

Doodle Sun 21-Jul-19 21:32:39

Oh! 69 years and 11 ½ months .........now you’ve got me worried ?

Luckylegs Mon 22-Jul-19 18:16:31

It was a bit of a shock seeing this thread dug up again! Your replies were great, helped me to see 70 as not the end of the world - 75 is probably going to bring more problems with it if anything! I’m now 71 and I’m recovered from a seemingly never ending litany of illnesses and annoying problems. I haven’t quite gone back to Zumba but I am doing everything else bar the shouting! I need to lose the weight but am sure I will eventually. Good luck and good health to all of you kind people who took the trouble to respond. Onward and upward!