Gransnet forums

Health

Pillows for side sleepers

(9 Posts)
paddyann Sun 02-Jun-19 13:36:19

I've got the most awful pain in my neck and shoulder due to not sleeping well(I think) its been ongoing for a while and I've changed to a memory foam pillow and back to a feather one as the memory foam wasn't any better .Anyone who can recommend a decent pillow that will stop me waking up with this pain ?I find it hard to get comfortable on any of the pillows in the house

jura2 Sun 02-Jun-19 13:52:19

Used to have such pain with 'British' style hard pillows, and with bamboo shaped neck pillow too. Now use one of those Swiss monsters - down feathers, fairly loose in a massive 100cm by 70cm. Because feathers are loose in it, I can shape it around me perfectly and adjust- so much better.

MiniMoon Sun 02-Jun-19 14:08:36

I've been having similar problems. Not just a stiff neck, but also ear pain. I cannot sleep in any other position, than on my right side. I have tried memory foam, polyester filled, and buckwheat, but all of them cause the ear pain. I've looked online, and you can buy a pillow with a hole. They cost about £50 though, and I begrudge paying that sort of money for half a pillow. Besides, it might not work. I do not know the solution.

jura2 Sun 02-Jun-19 14:26:29

Have you tried a V shaped pillow- with half down your front?

lemongrove Sun 02-Jun-19 14:31:46

paddyann I had the same problem recently, I had a flat pillow and a down pillow on top of it.My neck problems were solved by sleeping with just the one feather pillow.
I think what happens with two pillows is that during sleep your head slips lower down leaving it at an awkward angle,
Memory foam doesn’t help as it’s still too high.

Gonegirl Sun 02-Jun-19 14:43:52

I find this one very good

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Jun-19 16:03:43

I have a similar pillow to Gonegirl. I just use the bottom left corner of it at my jaw line/neck and my head and face are pretty much 'suspended'. Works for me. Alternatively I can do this sort of with a very soft pillow by punching it into shape.
In my younger days I was a front sleeper with no pillow at all. Now I'm a right side sleeper.

kittylester Sun 02-Jun-19 16:15:59

I think I've seen pillows in Dunelm specifically for side sleepers.

shysal Sun 02-Jun-19 16:26:46

I am a side sleeper and never slept well until I got a Dormeo Octaspring pillow. They are made from memory foam formed into spring shapes. They come in deep and less deep. Mine is a deep one and looks and feels like a brick but is fantastically comfortable. No more stiff neck or sore ears. They are not cheap but I found this Groupon offer, and you would probably only need the one.
Octaspring pillow offer