Gransnet forums

Health

Osteoporosis

(29 Posts)
jeanie99 Wed 05-Jun-19 09:06:13

I have just been diagnosed with Osteoporosis at the age of 74.

Having led an active life including many years of going to the gym and having a good diet I am in shock.

Does anyone else have this disease and how as it altered their life.

Nannymooney Sun 23-Jun-19 16:37:15

I was diagnosed about 9 months ago. I was 70 and had a T score of -3.4 so on the cusp of severe. I was told it was almost certainly due to the 12 years I had M E. when I was bed bound for periods of time.I went on plant based wholefoods diet and after 4 months no more M E symptoms! I've lost 2 and a half stone and go to the gym twice a week and keep as active as I can. I've read the terrible side effects that the drugs can cause so am 'treating' it with diet and exercise. . read as much as you can. Use Osteoporosis helpline They are incredibly helpful. Good luck

luluaugust Mon 24-Jun-19 16:54:37

I understand where you are coming from Nannymooney as I can't wait to get through my 5 years of tablets and I hope the diet and exercise work but at -3.4 you are in some danger of a bone breaking by itself. Make sure you get another DEXA scan to see how things are progressing. The tablets are not nice but we are lucky to have something to try unlike our mothers. I do wish you good luck.

BlueBelle Mon 24-Jun-19 17:02:11

trisher I totally endorse your post I would not take HRT either and I believe we are better off treating all we can as naturally as possible I avoid tablets unless absolutely necessary and take nothing but occasional paracetamol I m not daft though and if I had a bad infection of course I d take antibiotics