Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract surgery - standard or multifocal?

(34 Posts)
Daisydaughter Fri 07-Jun-19 11:00:50

I have moderate cataracts, but what to me feels like fairly lousy eyesight generally. I am thinking of having surgery done privately to improve the latter as I will not qualify for NHS for a while yet. I'd love not to have to wear glasses afterwards but for that multifocal lenses are necessary. I've been warned against by one consultant. Has anyone any experience of them?

LadyGracie Sat 15-Jun-19 14:40:38

DH had his 1st eye done yesterday, he’s amazed, he says he can see!

JohnRNIB Tue 18-Jun-19 09:59:48

If you contact RNIB's Eye Health Information Service (020 7391 3299), they can help with understanding your options, and the benefits and risks of multifocal lenses.

If you did have problems with getting surgery we also have a Cataracts Access to Treatment Toolkit that might be useful.

JohnRNIB Tue 18-Jun-19 10:12:27

Forgot to put the link to the main RNIB page on Cataracts in my post. It has a link to the guide we produced with the Royal College of Ophthlamologists.

Oops!

shabby Tue 18-Jun-19 12:40:37

There was recently a Q&A session on Gransnet with Larry Benjamin a renowned consultant ophthalmologist. You may find it helpful look at his responses to Gransnetter's questions.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 18-Jun-19 13:43:03

It depends on your eyesight whether you will need glasses after a cataract op. or not.

I will, I have had glasses since I was seven, and the surgeon says it is not possible to improve my sight completely, but she will get as near to perfect as possible.

If she manages that, I doubt I will need glasses after both eyes have been done, but presumably she knows best.

wecareindia Tue 02-Jul-19 11:21:27

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tweedle24 Tue 02-Jul-19 11:49:58

I have worn contacts for many years - extended wear, changing them only once a month, I have dry eye and use drops frequently but, I still need to do that when I am not wearing them.

curvygran950 Mon 02-Dec-19 14:53:31

I would be very interested to know if anyone has had problems with varifocal-type lenses used in cataract surgery? I have an appointment for an NHS op at the end of January, they only use single focus lenses. I am considering going private if I think that varifocal lenses would be much more effective.........but really need some guidance!
Thank you for reading.