Gransnet forums

Health

Hiatus Hernia and Gord/Gerd

(6 Posts)
fizzers Fri 07-Jun-19 14:17:17

I've had quite a bad hernia for some years now and have learned to live with it, currently take Lansoprazole and Gaviscon and sometimes ranitidine.

Has anyone else found that some days it's as though the condition doesn't exist and perhaps could munch away through curries, raw onions , cucumber etc without being affected, yet other days, despite being careful, can wake up with it, bringing up copious amounts of acid, feeling the burn despite religiously taking the medications and trying to eat things that are not going exacerbate the condition. It seems to be a few good days followed by a few bad days.

Farmor15 Fri 07-Jun-19 17:31:54

Yes! Similar to you, fizzers, I have a hiatus hernia, and symptoms vary day to day. I think the most common type of hiatus hernia is "sliding", so perhaps some days it slides up and causes more symptoms.

I also take a mix of medications - ranitidine, Rennies and sometimes one of the ppi's, like omeprazole - mostly not all on same day!

Septimia Fri 07-Jun-19 18:00:46

I - naughtily - self-diagnosed a hiatus hernia. I did a bit of research and as a result gave up citrus fruit and tomatoes. Having done that, I found that I no longer got the same pain and discomfort. I still get a bit of acid if I eat too much cheese, too much spicy stuff or drink alcohol but I can now drink a small glass of orange juice and consume a little tomato without ill effects.

Gonegirl Fri 07-Jun-19 18:12:23

Yes. That's exactly how I am. I actually had a good night's sleep last night. First for several weeks. So, of course, I've pushed it today and eaten a slice of chocolate cake. And we will be having fish and chips soon.

I hope I don't break my good run.

I think emotional stuff can make a difference.

fizzers Fri 07-Jun-19 19:09:04

Some days it's hell on earth from the moment I get up till the moment I go to bed, other days am completly fine.... have had chocolate today so could suffer later smile

MiniMoon Fri 07-Jun-19 19:31:15

I suffer too. I've not had a diagnosis but as my sister has a hiatus hernia, and my late mother did, I think it's likely. I have terrible acid reflux some days, the nights are worse!
I try to cut onions, garlic and tomatoes from my diet and that helps. I can eat chocolate but I think I might be reacting to cheese too. Food is getting boring?.