Gransnet forums

Health

How to quit smoking?

(111 Posts)
Lisa445 Sun 09-Jun-19 21:49:12

I've been smoking for the last 35 years and everything was just fine. But my grandchildren don't like the smell and keep asking me to quit. My husband quit a lot of years ago so I don't even know who might help me.
First, I started surfing on the Internet and everything I found - quit guides by HelpGuide, VapingDaily, etc. I'm just wondering, is it real to quit after 35 years? Of course, it's easier when you're young... Did you have the same problem? I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Sara65 Mon 10-Jun-19 10:26:02

I think Ellan , that long after you give up, the habit is still there, it was years before I had a cup of tea without feeling something was missing

Dee1012 Mon 10-Jun-19 10:27:06

I stopped smoking 13 months ago, after 40 years! in the past I'd tried patches, cold turkey etc but for me it was vaping that did it.
I've never even had a craving for a cigarette and am now slowly reducing my "vape habit".

Patticake123 Mon 10-Jun-19 10:33:31

I stopped many years ago by going cold turkey and it wasn’t easy. Things I did that definitely helped me was to not think long term just minutes ahead. So when I craved one I’d say to myself, not for 5 minutes. I drank fresh orange juice by the gallon. Not sure if that was just a gimmick at the time but it did help and finally, every day I put my cigarette money into a jar and at the end of each week I bought something for myself. I did that for many months and it was a time in my life when I was very hard up but my logic was that I could always find cigarette money. My father died very suddenly in the midst of all this and that stress made me desperate however, he had been so pleased that I’d stopped I didn’t want to use his death as an excuse to resume. That was when I started to replace the cigarette with food. That’s another story! Whatever you choose, in around a years time, you’ll look back, congratulate yourself and most definitely have improved your health. Good luck, you can do it.

Patticake123 Mon 10-Jun-19 10:35:15

Forgot to say, but this possibly doesn’t apply these days. I avoided people who smoke and practiced saying ‘ I don’t smoke ‘ when offered a cigarette.

CyclingKnitter Mon 10-Jun-19 10:43:02

I gave up when I started to cycle to work. I couldn’t go up the (small) hills and so I decided I had to stop. It was in and off and I still get cravings after 15 years, but I’m really glad I did quit. Good luck - think “I only have to get over THIS craving”- and don’t despair if you fail 2, 3 or 4 or more times - it’s hard but you’ll get there.

harrigran Mon 10-Jun-19 10:43:45

I decided 44 years ago that I would stop smoking so that I could afford a piano for DD. I decided on the day and threw away the cigarettes I had left. The money I was saving was a great incentive to keep going, I never once lapsed I am a determined person when I set my heart on something.

4allweknow Mon 10-Jun-19 10:43:46

A lot of Health Authorities have smoking cessation clinics. Check out your NHS website. Never been a smoker but was raised in a smoking environment. Just couldn't and still can't stand the smell off smokers, makes me nauseous. Relative who smoked for years recently developed COPD and boy did she stop smoking - basically overnight but a bit too late damage is done. I do admire anyone who does stop as not easy to give up a drug habit, which nicotine is! Good Luck.

PenelopePopcorn Mon 10-Jun-19 10:45:32

I gave up after 30 years. Life is so much better now. The cough has gone, the horrible smell has gone, I feel proud of myself and I'm not forking out all that money any more.

Tamayra Mon 10-Jun-19 10:48:56

Easiest way to stop smoking is not to buy cigarettes
Worked for me smile

KatyK Mon 10-Jun-19 10:57:38

I've never smoked but my DH started at 15. For many years he was quite a heavy smoker. His breakfast was a fag! When he was in his 40s and money was very tight, the price of cigs went up in the budget again. He just said 'right, that's it'. He never smoked again. He says he'll never know how he did it and craved them for years after.

b1zzle Mon 10-Jun-19 11:09:13

If I can do it, you can! At age 71, I cut down by only having half a cigarette and saving the other half for later, then having a third, then a quarter. I then plucked up all my courage by going to a vaping shop - and they're really sympathetic and give you all the help you need. So I vaped alternately with smoking until I ditched the cigarettes altogether. I can't say the urge to have a real cigarette isn't there - it probably will always be, but I haven't had a 'real' cigarette for over four months now and although in some ways I still miss it, I'm glad I made the switch - and so will you be!

HannahLoisLuke Mon 10-Jun-19 11:16:19

I smoked for 48 years. Had tried many times to give up, using patches, gum, pastilles, mouth sprays. Tried vaping but it made me cough even mire.
In desperation I asked for help at the GP and went on a twelve week course if Champix. It worked!
Although I'll never repair the damage to my lungs I do feel so much better and would seriously recommend you talk to your GP about Champix. I thought I'd never be able to do it but it's three years now and I'm so happy.

nannypiano Mon 10-Jun-19 11:16:38

I have been a non smoker for almost a year now. I am 73 and have smoked since I was 13 years old. I read books on the internet from my library. I had a bit of trouble down loading the audio books. But when I finally managed it, the first book in the list of titles was How To Stop Smoking and Stay Stopped. I decided to listen to it, even though I wasn't serious about giving up. I stopped smoking that day. I haven't smoked since. I might add I was a heavy smoker
too.
If and when I got the urge to smoke, I kept reminding myself I was no longer a smoker and the urge went away.
I'm very proud of myself. Saving lots of money, feeling healthier and no longer smell like an astray. I thought it was going to be difficult, but it wasn't. I thought I would be climbing walls, but I wasn't. If I can give up, anyone can.

arosebyanyothername Mon 10-Jun-19 11:42:59

Lisa445 Keep telling yourself why you are doing this

I gave up when we decided to start a family, our DD is 40 this year.
It wasn't easy as I was a fairly heavy smoker and went cold turkey. There wasn't much help around in those days!

Just kept telling myself why I was doing it.
It did get easier, my sense of smell and taste was heightened and I did feel much better.

20 cigarettes were 50p when I gave up, Lord knows what they cost now!
Good Luck smile

Caro57 Mon 10-Jun-19 12:01:07

Well done you! the first step of deciding to give up is a massive step. Take all the help / support you can get. Google smoking cessation in your area - some places still have them. Remember most people need a few goes before they quit. Also try the different options: gum, patches, hypnosis etc. Etc. as what suits is a very individual thing.
All the very best, I’m are behind you all the way!

Pippa22 Mon 10-Jun-19 12:36:17

I am sure you do smell, all the smokers I know do. The smell is disgusting and if you are talking to somebody you can tell if they have just popped out for a ciggy. Smokers breath and clothes always smell.

Surely knowing that should be enough to make you want to stop smoking. Vaping is an unknown and in years to come could spark health concerns too.

FC61 Mon 10-Jun-19 12:43:05

I gave up smoking albeit when I was much younger with a method I made up for myself. Each time before I had a cigarette I recited a list of the nasties. This cigarette 1.turns my lungs black 2.turns my womb grey. 3. Fries my gums. 4. Gives me cancer. 5. Yellows my teeth. 6. Makes my breath stink. 7. Makes me stink . 8. Makes my clothes stink. 9. Costs a fortune 10. Makes my face wrinkled 11. Makes my skin blotchy . 12 Puts people off me. Then I would light the cigarette and smoke it. Same thing every time I lit up. Soon it got so I didn’t want one but that’s when you have to have one until in the end it’s so repulsive to have one you just can’t face it. At that point I was done. Never smoked again but downside is I can’t bear anyone near me smoking. I have zero tolerance. I bet you can give it up it’s so bad for your precious , willing , lovely body.

lefthanded Mon 10-Jun-19 13:15:27

I stopped smoking in the late eighties. Before then I was smoking 40-50 cigarettes per day.

Cold turkey is the only way. My answer to the inevitable craving was butterscotch - about half a pound every day!

As I recall it took about three weeks to begin to feel as though I was beating it, and about a year before I ceased to be jealous when I saw someone else smoking.

Judie Mon 10-Jun-19 13:17:06

I quit last year after smoking for 46 yrs!!! Used champix and I took me nearly 12mths in total.i had tried several times to give up but last year I was really determined

quizqueen Mon 10-Jun-19 13:31:12

Carry around an ashtray with you and keep sniffing it and know that is what you smell like to other people!

flowersfromheaven Mon 10-Jun-19 14:35:54

Go on this site for advice it's brilliant you will get loads of help, You can also buy Allen Carr's stop smoking book £2.45 on Ebay - HealthUnlocked

Link healthunlocked.com/quitsupport/posts/private/140937791/withdrawal-symptom

Septimia Mon 10-Jun-19 15:01:44

I've never smoked, so I'm not a great deal of experience in the matter.

However...years ago a colleague (and his wife) of my husband gave up smoking and saved the money. In three years they'd saved enough to buy a motorhome! Maybe an incentive like that is helpful.

gillyknits Mon 10-Jun-19 15:12:16

I stopped smoking when I was diagnosed with mild COPD (a chest condition similar to emphysema) Scared me, even though I’d had no symptoms. No chest infections or anything .
I went to the smoking cessation clinic and they gave me patches. The good thing is that they monitor you and give you support every few weeks. They aren’t judgmental at all. I have not had a cigarette for twelve years, after smoking for fifty years.
It’s worth giving it a try. No more having to go out in the cold to smoke. No more smell on your hair and clothes.
Good luck. You can stop if YOU really want to.

BusterTank Mon 10-Jun-19 15:31:42

You'll only give up , if you really want to . Also a bit of will power . You can only give up if you are doing it for yourself and nobody else .

hulahoop Mon 10-Jun-19 15:38:19

I have up when smoking was banned in most places went to smoking cessation couple of times but relied on willpower in the end ..good luck