Gransnet forums

Health

How to quit smoking?

(111 Posts)
Lisa445 Sun 09-Jun-19 21:49:12

I've been smoking for the last 35 years and everything was just fine. But my grandchildren don't like the smell and keep asking me to quit. My husband quit a lot of years ago so I don't even know who might help me.
First, I started surfing on the Internet and everything I found - quit guides by HelpGuide, VapingDaily, etc. I'm just wondering, is it real to quit after 35 years? Of course, it's easier when you're young... Did you have the same problem? I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

mike28939 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:30:12

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Susan55 Tue 11-Feb-20 10:30:32

I was a smoker for 40 years and knew that I should quit one day. The only problem was, that day never seemed to arrive. Then one day my daughter bought an electronic cigarette and after trying it and liking it, I ordered one on the internet, telling myself that on the day it arrived I would never smoke again. Well, I have had the odd one or two but found I really don't like them any more - I prefer my e cig!

I never thought I would quit smoking - I was a hardened smoker for many years. But since using an e cigarette, in a fruit flavour, there is no way I will ever go back to smoking.

I really do think it's worth giving it a try.

joehopkins Mon 18-Apr-22 14:29:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Nikita80 Fri 22-Apr-22 09:57:13

I made a pact and stopped smoking on non smoking day in fact which is now about a month ago. My journey is going well. I have full support from The Family chemist its an online pharmacy so no face to face needed. Just follow ups if you wish and advice. I recommend Zyban. Like everyone its a struggle at first but I feel my cravings have now come to a balance.

Granmarderby10 Mon 25-Apr-22 09:36:36

I smoked from aged 14 until five years ago including through later stages of pregnancy as many did in those days even the midwife on a home visit……I know, but it was very, very normalised in those days even though the facts had been out there regarding the risks for all of my childhood.

I and many others believed ourselves invincible. I never had a cough and the smell wasn’t an issue except on clothes after a night out.
The cost became an issue as the tax increased but I was addicted. The cigarettes were like a friend through good and bad times and forged a bond with other smokers in all sorts of circumstances.
It was acceptable and legal to smoke indoors in public everywhere. This should not be forgotten. It was an entire culture, A way of life, portrayed on television and film and commercials.
I stopped FINALLY after three heart attacks and before a by-pass op in 2017. The op was a total success.
It was much easier because hardly anyone in my circle still smoked by then.
I was bought an e-cig and have used one ever since. I vape no nicotine and fruit flavours.
I do not miss cigarettes and will not ever smoke them again.
I feel fine and have not put on much weight. I can afford nicer food and other things to cheer myself up now.

I have recently moved to an upper floor flat and the smell of concentrated fag smoke from the neighbour below as soon as I open my front door is so strong but I do sympathise with him.
I think the smell and the price are what people find abhorrent now because the haven’t grown up surrounded by it
E- cigs have been a life saver for me.

EthanBarack22 Wed 27-Apr-22 07:08:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

foxie48 Wed 27-Apr-22 08:58:35

First of all I think you need to want to stop smoking for yourself rather than for other people. I stopped smoking 35 years ago after many failed attempts and I am so glad that I did. I read the book by Allen Carr, he's sadly no longer alive as he died of lung cancer but his method made perfect sense to me. He had stopped smoking years before his death but used to run stop smoking clinics where he inhaled second hand smoke! You can buy a copy of his book on the internet very cheaply.

Pepper59 Wed 27-Apr-22 10:36:42

The only people I know who permanently stopped smoking, are those who did it completely ' cold turkey'. They made up their minds to stop. One of them knew the smoking was seriously beginning to affect their health, so it was make your mind up time. They cleared the house of all cigarettes, matches, lighters and ash trays. In fact anything that reminded them of smoking got binned. They had two weeks of hell, going through withdrawal. It was not easy to live with, but after the two weeks passed that was it. They never smoked again. Both were very determined to stop though. It's not an easy thing to do. I was fortunate that having tried it once, I really hated it, so never took it up and I came from a home where one parent and one sibling smoked.

Caleo Wed 27-Apr-22 11:01:59

I bought paperback with instructions how to quit. the process takes 5 or seven days and is unpleasant but it works.

You have to really want to kick the habit.

1. Buy a brand of cigs you really dislike, and throw out all the cigs you like.

2. Get a glass jar with close fitting lid and three inches of water in it.

3. Day one. Light a cig and inhale the smoke. Deliberately cough until you are really tired. Do it again then throw the remains of the cig into the glass jar and retain what's in the jar so you can have a long look at it..

4. Repeat the process on days two and three and so on. Don't smoke in between times unless you do the coughing too.
The appearance of the dark brown tarry water in the horrid jar, and the discomfort of coughing will make you averse to cigs for ever.

5. Throw away the remaining cigs.

timetogo2016 Fri 06-May-22 13:12:29

Warning to those who vape,
I know this is an oldish thread,but some Gransnetters need to know imo.
My step daughter was rushed into hospital with severe stomach pains,needed surgery as 6 holes were found in her stomach and she had a problem with her pancreas.
Surgery was supposed to last one hour,it took 4 hours.
She is extremely ill.