Gransnet forums

Health

How to quit smoking?

(111 Posts)
Lisa445 Sun 09-Jun-19 21:49:12

I've been smoking for the last 35 years and everything was just fine. But my grandchildren don't like the smell and keep asking me to quit. My husband quit a lot of years ago so I don't even know who might help me.
First, I started surfing on the Internet and everything I found - quit guides by HelpGuide, VapingDaily, etc. I'm just wondering, is it real to quit after 35 years? Of course, it's easier when you're young... Did you have the same problem? I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

millebrown Tue 13-Aug-19 10:40:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Geniescot Fri 16-Aug-19 11:22:59

Ilovecheese Fri 16-Aug-19 11:41:43

Reported

H1954 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:57:07

I have sent you a private message Lisa445

GagaJo Fri 16-Aug-19 16:46:13

My partner smokes. I feel for him. He's smoked for over 50 years. He's tried to stop several times since I've known him, and much like my diets, manages very well for a while and then..

I don't have an answer. I do know they say it is more addictive than heroin. Sale of fags shouldn't be legal really. It's awful that something so dangerous IS.

fizzers Fri 16-Aug-19 17:34:11

I stopped smoking by vaping , researched vaping, what I would need to buy, how to do it, when packet of cigs ran out I started vaping and never looked back. That was 8 years ago.

My mother stopped smoking over 30 years ago and she was fit and well at the time, but that didn't stop her from developing COPD in later years and it was COPD that killed her

absthame Tue 27-Aug-19 17:30:53

I packed up about 8 years ago aged 68 having started at school. Over the years had tried different ideas and devices without success. In the end I simply gave them up and that was it. No aids, no vaping and no cigarettes smile I'm told that I'm better for having done it and I always believe what she tells me winkgrin

absthame Tue 27-Aug-19 17:31:44

Sorry I was 66 not 68

eazybee Tue 27-Aug-19 19:26:40

I gave up smoking after 33 years.
I had a bad cold and hadn't smoked for three weeks, went to buy cigarettes and had to pay cash, about £5. It suddenly struck me as an awful waste of money, money up in smoke, and I never smoked again; that was 19 years ago.

BBbevan Tue 27-Aug-19 19:50:47

I did it cold turkey. I was in the doctor's waiting room, waiting for a blood test. On the wall opposite me was a poster about giving up smoking. I smoked about 10 a day. On the poster it said that after about 10 days no smoking there was no nicotine in the body. Therefore it was addiction and habit that made you want a cigarette. As I hadn't had a cigarette for a while because of a bad cold, I decided then and there not to have another. I changed my morning routine so I did not have that first cigarette and quite honestly the rest was easy. I seldom think about it now, though sometimes when stressed I do think' a ciggy would be nice' . But I know never to give in .

darrelllomeli Tue 19-Nov-19 11:31:59

darrelllomeli Tue 19-Nov-19 11:44:38

Oldandverygrey Tue 19-Nov-19 12:45:50

Lisa - Although I have never smoked myself, I saw my MIL die a very slow agonising smoke related death, and I was devastated. So I do hope you kick the habit and I wish you well.

geera Wed 20-Nov-19 11:22:28

After ending up as an emergency in hospital with a chest infection, I'm (a bit late) done with smoking. What convinced me? A bit of maths. 50 years at 20 a day = 364,000 cigarettes. 5 minutes per smoke = 3.6 YEARS 24 hours a day non-stop smoking!! I don't even want to know the financial results!

baileyclarke Thu 21-Nov-19 04:54:20

I was a chain smoker. I stop smoking for my children and my wife. My children are my role models they help me a lot to quit smoking. Today I am living very happily

Billget Thu 26-Dec-19 07:14:28

Calendargirl Thu 26-Dec-19 07:32:44

My husband used to smoke cigarettes, then just cigars. I was always nagging him to give up, health, cost, the smell etc. 20 years ago, he had a really bad cough and cold and didn’t smoke for about 3 weeks as he just didn’t fancy one. He tried one when he felt better, but found it unpleasant. That was it, he never touched one again.
I am so proud of how he gave up, quietly without any fuss or palaver. But HE had to want to do it, all my past nagging was to no avail.
I think he cannot understand now why he smoked for the time he did, but we do live in different times to when he started smoking.

Newquay Thu 26-Dec-19 08:16:50

I saw my own dear Dad suffer with bronchitis and emphysema; couldn’t complete a sentence without gasping and held my dear Mum’s hand as she drowned to death in her own bed-all cos of smoking! Parents in law had miserable final years following strokes again cos of smoking. No matter how hard it is to stop-harder than heroin I’ve heard-it’s nothing to what you will suffer if you continue. My dear sister in law struggles; weak, addictive personality so very hard. She’s given up smoking but now hooked on vaping.
The secret really is never to start-I am full of admiration for all of you who have quit-well done!

BlueBelle Thu 26-Dec-19 09:46:05

I think vaping is the curse of the devil you are swapping one addiction for another and it’s really quite unknown yet what harm vaping may or may not do
A lot of men don’t realise cigars are the equivalent of about 4 cigarettes so much worse for your lungs
Likewise smoking weed is more dangerous to the lungs too
There are many ways to give up but by far the quickest and most successful is cold turkey, however a lot of people don’t believe in themselves enough and do need a lot of help and I d advice going to your local smoking cessation advisor they are in doctors surgeries and pharmacies and will support you along with your given item (patches, tablets gum etc etc)
Champix suits a lot of people and works well for most

Never keep one in case that’s fatal

BlueBelle Thu 26-Dec-19 09:46:49

Darrelllomili reported

Daddima Thu 26-Dec-19 11:04:09

When working as a smoking cessation adviser on the NHS helpline, we always advised people to set a stop date, and plan for it. It was things like going somewhere smoke free ( much easier nowadays) with a non smoking friend, treating yourself to a nice healthy lunch and dinner, and aiming for ‘ one day at a time’. Perhaps making up a playlist of songs to relax you beforehand, or plan something to occupy your hands. We recommended drinking cold grapefruit juice, and keeping a bottle of mouthwash in the fridge for when you have a ‘ notion’ ( we tended to avoid saying ‘ cravings’). Also, before your stop date, cut out the cig you think you’ll find hardest to resist.
I remember a lady telling me she used the Argos catalogue and travel brochures, put sticky labels on things/trips she fancied, with the price written on them in packets of fags, and she’d look through them when she fancied a fag!

RussellWilson Thu 02-Jan-20 10:10:38

Nowadays, medications are available to help you quit smoking. Consult your physician. He/she will prescribe you appropriate medicine.

Lucca Thu 02-Jan-20 10:31:02

I stopped about fifteen years ago and am so angry with myself not to have given up sooner....not least because my face is so old and lined looking. -*Don’t cut down gradually*
that just keeps the nicotine craving alive. Go cold turkey, go for a walk instead of a cigarette, spend the money you save from a week of cigarettes and buy indulgent things like nice underwear !

larikon Sat 08-Feb-20 19:33:21

Cigarettes are bad for health. If you have the fortitude it is better in one day to throw everything and do something else. For example, it can be fitness. Believe me after a jog you won't want to smoke

vidoy Sun 09-Feb-20 16:39:59