Gransnet forums

Health

Recurring dreams

(60 Posts)
BlueSky Fri 14-Jun-19 09:26:53

I've had the same disturbing dream since I was a teenager! I find it so strange that this is still upsetting me after 50+ years and being completely removed from that time and place. I wake up with a feeling of dread even though I know it's only a dream. I've tried talking to my DH about it hoping that bringing it out in the open would help but no joy.

GreenGran78 Sat 15-Jun-19 13:34:43

I have spells of dreaming about trying to find my way to somewhere. I roam around, up and down streets, through shopping centres, sometimes in empty rough areas.
It usually happens when I have something on my mind, especially if one of the family has a problem. I am probably searching for a solution.

BlueSky Sat 15-Jun-19 13:22:31

Direne yes I thought about that they do say you have to face your fears to overcome them! So far I haven't had the nerve to do it. Bonnie sure you are not suffering from some degree of sleep apnea? Are you aware of snoring loudly too?

BonnieBlooming Sat 15-Jun-19 13:08:47

I very frequently dream I am choking. I either wake up sitting bolt upright and coughing to try to dislodge the object or even with my fingers down my throat. I have been having this dream for years and its very frightening. I have never actually had a choking incident.
I also occasionally have a dream where I am going to do an exam and I have not done any revision! It's over 40 years since I did an exam.

Direne3 Sat 15-Jun-19 13:02:05

Now that you're adult, maybe facing up to the problem and booking a holiday in Spain that includes a religious festival would be the solution.

justwokeup Sat 15-Jun-19 12:53:14

I have the usual dreams that probably indicate some worry in the subconscious. However from the age of about 3, I don't remember any earlier, I dreamt of a scene where I am being held as a baby by a well-dressed lady on some kind of throne in the sunshine while DM is running away (separation anxiety?). I had it on a regular basis until about 11 years old, when I think I just dismissed it from my mind. These days I'm mostly able to think 'this is just a dream' and 'switch it off'.

BlueSky Sat 15-Jun-19 12:39:18

Thanks for sharing your nightmares they sound a lot worse than mine! That's why I find it weird that something like that would still disturb me!

Silverlady79 Sat 15-Jun-19 12:05:45

My dreams have been bad recently, - being covered in fleas - lost and alone in a city, asking people to help - but my recurring one is a plane going over low and crashing just over the hedge. I hear it split open and am too scared to go and see what I will see..but they are all there - just over the hedge. I long for my bad dreams to end but am going through some counselling at the moment around childhood stuff and am coming to terms with that and processing it and I guess this is my brain trying to work things out. It's all very upsetting tbh.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 15-Jun-19 11:39:58

Readymeals, I too used to have an execution dream. In mine I was being walked towards a scaffold. I was held by two men and there were others around as well as a lot of onlookers. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong but nobody would listen to me.
Always woke up as I put my foot on the first step.
I had it regularly for a few years, then it stopped than goodness.
Terrifying!

BlueSky Sat 15-Jun-19 11:31:17

Thanks all for your helpful input. OK here's my nightmare. Have you ever seen a Spanish religious procession? I have as when I was a child we used to go to Spain for holidays. They are impressive but I guess to a child also frightening. So I started to dream about this back then but oddly enough that still crops up now! I see the procession approaching and I try to hide but I'm usually found and brought back to the street to watch it. It's just annoying that a childhood experience should haunt me now to the extent that before booking holidays abroad I make sure there are no religious festivals going on!

Saggi Sat 15-Jun-19 11:19:20

I’m glad I don’t sleep deeply enough to dream anymore. I used to have a recurring nightmare where I’m walking over one of these precarious rope/ plank bridges over a raging river about 100ft in the air and one of my nephews ( the youngest) was always behind me and shouting at me to get of the bridge .... too late , the bridge breaks and I cling on but he goes over and drowns. I had this nightmare for five years nearly every week , as clear as day to me. The nephew later had to have a lung transplant because his body was rejecting his own lungs ( all the tests done with no conclusion as to why!).... he lived 6 years after his transplant and refused a second .... he died aged 30 , basically “ drowned by his own fluids” the doctor said. I haven’t slept deeply since that time and I don’t want to!

annodomini Sat 15-Jun-19 11:09:34

My recurrent dream is about exams, often about being late for an exam which never happened. I dream about writing exam answers, though not in troubling way. Exams are half a century (or more) behind me and I was never frightened of them, being something of a 'swot'. Nevertheless, they still crop up quite often. Maybe I still feel I am being tested and have something to prove?

BradfordLass72 Sat 15-Jun-19 10:59:38

The content of the dream usually doesn't matter it is how the dreamer feels which is upsetting.
My son dreamed of a fox running across the garden but he knew it was going to be killed (he did not see this happening) but it was that which scared him.

However, I offer here what may help you as it did with my elder son.

You can do this alone or with a partner (obviously my son and I did it together). You relax, start describing the dream and then at the crucial moment your partner (if you are working with one) says, 'OK, stop a moment' and gives you an alternative scenario or suggestion.

You talk about this in some detail, making sure you have grasped the fact that you are going to be in charge next time you dream.
I know it sounds odd and it may not work immediately but after several sessions it can give you the power to change how you feel in the dream.

In our case I then said, 'This is a clever little fox and he knows all the countryside so he is never going to get caught.'
We talked a lot about how foxes are smart, with a good sense of smell and see better in the dark than humans.

The next time we did the imagining (before he had the dream again), the people who were looking for the fox got lost. They were very stupid people, couldn't find their feet in a fog. grin so gave up and went home, having got very wet and cold.

Next time, we put the fox's favourite food out and had a party - later still we imagined he had found a lady fox and had cubs.
All this took several very talkative sessions of course.

But little by little I gave my son the ability to feel differently, more powerful in his dream which he had 2 or 3 times more but was no longer freaked out by it.

Clearly you and your DH will have to tailor your 'weapons' to your own story.

This was nearly 50 years ago but I think the technique may still work. smile

Sheilasue Sat 15-Jun-19 10:58:09

Sometimes I get a recurring dream of my late son, we are either having a conversation, or his phoning me. But that’s to do with grief I think. It never leaves you no matter how long someone is dead.

Juliet27 Sat 15-Jun-19 10:39:52

Its the dream where you find yourself out in the street with no clothes on and nowhere to hide that I hate....used to have that often.
Then there's the one where I've not done enough revision for an exam.

Juliet27 Sat 15-Jun-19 10:36:56

Midgey. That reminded me that apparently at age three I drew a fish then turned the paper over to draw his other eye. Just the eye...nothing else.

Purplepoppies Sat 15-Jun-19 10:35:22

I do have a recurring nightmare. It's based on a real event that was extremely scary at the time. I wake up shaking and have to get up and distract myself before I can sleep again without going back into it again.

ReadyMeals Sat 15-Jun-19 10:32:05

Crafycat, that was telepathy from your mother, who probably dreaded what state she'd find in your room when she opened the door. When you got married and left home, your mother's telepathy transmitted her relief at the room finally being tidy, and so the dreams stopped.

Craftycat Sat 15-Jun-19 10:27:20

I had a very scary recurring dream when I was a teenager. I was in a house- which I knew ( although it looked like nowhere I did actually know). I was walking up the stairs to a room at the top & I knew there was something really awful behind the door but I HAD to open it. I always woke up as I opened the door so never saw what or who it was.
It stopped when I was 20 & got married & was not sleeping alone.
I still remember the fear I felt at the time.

Witzend Sat 15-Jun-19 10:20:46

I still have exam nightmares (exams I've done zero preparation for!), ditto Christmas shopping, it's 4 pm on Chr. Eve and I've forgotten to buy anything.
Always such a relief to wake up from those!

OTOH I've dreamt often of a large family house I've never seen or visited - always the same one - yet in my dream it's always so familiar, I know every room.

ReadyMeals Sat 15-Jun-19 10:19:51

I have a dream sometimes that I am on death row in prison and due to be executed within days. My main worry is that everyone is going to hate me for whatever it was I did (in the dream I assume I killed someone) but in fact the prison officers are really supportive and kind to me, and that makes me feel a bit better. I usually wake up at that point so I don't go through the execution in my dream!

harrigran Sat 15-Jun-19 10:13:22

I have dreams that seem to highlight medical problems in myself and others, I kept dreaming I was being diagnosed with cancer, it stopped when I got the diagnosis in RL.
I started dreaming about DH but did not tell him about my dreams I just urged him to go to the GP and I was right to urge him.
I put the dreams down to having medical knowledge and picking up on warning signs but I think the family think I am a witch.
Strangely I sometimes dream about DD not being well so I get in touch and sure enough she will be at home in bed. Must say that I don't speak to her often enough to pick up signals in conversation hmm

lovebooks Sat 15-Jun-19 10:01:46

For years and years, I had versions of the same dream in which I had cut someone's head off (the actual bloody deed was never featured) and was trying to hide the evidence. I was told it's a guilt dream, but very disturbing.

notentirelyallhere Sat 15-Jun-19 09:26:09

Chances are that boy was a pain in the neck to his teachers and ended up doing time!!

There was a French painter called Alphonse Allais who was well known for humorous paintings, for instance a black canvas entitled 'Negroes fighting in a tunnel at night' and similar. More here:

www.wikiart.org/en/alphonse-allais

crazyH Fri 14-Jun-19 22:56:02

Midgey - I wonder what became of that clever little boy ?

notentirelyallhere Fri 14-Jun-19 22:51:05

Fennel the courses I took suggested that imagery was likely to be personal rather than objectively specific. I think that's the point you're making?