Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract Surgery

(13 Posts)
glammanana Sat 22-Jun-19 12:08:52

This afternoon I am off to have the surgery on my left eye to say I am nervous is an understatement as I just don't understand how on earth the eye will stay still whilst I am wide awake ?? I have been assured it doesn't hurt one bit but it's the eye keeping still that is making me nervous.

GrandmaJan Sat 22-Jun-19 12:17:49

I’ve had cataracts in both eyes and both removed. It doesn’t hurt the worst bit (if you can call it that) is when your eye is anaesthetised but that’s just a pin prick. Your eye is held open with a special device so you don’t need to worry about blinking. A lovely nurse will hold your hand and reassure you. Not only have I had the surgery but seen it performed when I was nursing. It will be over in less than 10 minutes, you’ll be given a cuppa and biscuit then sent home. Please don’t worry.

glammanana Sat 22-Jun-19 12:31:21

GrandmaJan Thanks so much for the reassuring words I know I am being a big baby after all the surgery I have had over the years but then I was fast asleep and knew nothing about it .

Blinko Sat 22-Jun-19 12:49:06

Had both mine done. No problem at all. They know how to stabilise the eye whilst the procedure is undertaken. You'll be as right as rain! flowers

silverlining48 Sat 22-Jun-19 16:00:43

I understand your fears glamma, if ever I needed cataract surgery would beg for sedation, or even GA.
Hope it went ok today, will look out for your post op post. Good luck.

glammanana Sat 22-Jun-19 16:54:46

siloverlining48 Well everything went brilliently the appointment was for 2.20pm and I was home at 4.40pm,it was nothing to worry about honestly sl. I am having the right eye done in 4 weeks time.

silverlining48 Sat 22-Jun-19 17:09:55

That’s good news glamma. Everyone says it’s ok but I have a thing about eyes. Well done and hope the next one is as straightforward. Thanks for letting us know.

Devorgilla Sat 22-Jun-19 17:25:53

Glad to hear it went well. I had the right one done after a previous eye operation which accelerated cataracts in that eye. See better than ever now.

GrandmaJan Mon 24-Jun-19 16:00:53

glammanana I’m pleased it went well. I was extremely nervous the first time but when I had the second cataract removed I was quite calm and you will be as well.

M0nica Mon 24-Jun-19 16:13:29

Best thing I ever did. After 50 years of glasses wearing I now only need them for driving and distance work.

My eyesight was quite bad. Glasses were on my nose from the moment I woke, until the moment I fell asleep. Now, I do not need them when on a beach or at the swimming pool, or when I go out in the evening. Fantastic!!

mcem Mon 24-Jun-19 16:29:07

Congratulations from me too.
Pleased that your second op will be done quickly since you'll possibly feel a bit out of kilter in the meantime while you cope with the discrepancy between your eyes. It isn't a big deal and you'll handle that minor inconvenience without much bother.
I was nervous first time but a kind nurse and a valium took care of that. No need for valium the second time as I wasn't nervous then! (Kind nurse was still welcome)
Enjoy your rejuvenated eyes!

Buzzer20 Sat 04-Jan-20 09:57:41

Have had one eye done and it's ok but had previous glasses altered so there's a plain lens on that eye. Cant cope with those glasses as get double vision when reading. Use older glasses but want to drive again as wait for second op can be months away. Is this normal?

JohnRNIB Mon 06-Jan-20 12:25:27

@Buzzer20 If you'd like to talk to someone independently, the RNIB Eye Health Information Service can be contacted through our Helpline on 0303 123 9999 (open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturday 9am to 1pm).