Gransnet forums

Health

constant chest infections

(46 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 28-Jun-19 07:42:47

My DH is having a spate of the above , he has COPD and it is very worrying.He has just finished yet another course of antibiotics and has been given a steroid inhaler to use along with his other two inhalers. GP is arranging for him to have some sort of scan on his heart as she is concerned he has fluid around his heart which is causing these infections. I still feel he is infected as he doesnt feel well and is still coughing up 'stuff' but he wont go back to gp saying he has blood tests booked and waiting for hospital appointment. But surely if he has an infection still he needs more antibiotics.He maintains GP says she doesnt want to give him anymore. I am worried in case it develops into something more serious like pnuemonia. Am i right ot be concerned???

MawBroonsback Fri 28-Jun-19 07:58:02

Of course you are right and “waiting for hospital appointments” is no excuse.
However he is an adult and you can’t “bully” him, however much he needs it or like Paw used to, he may dig his heels in.
I would explain gently (or forcefully) how concerned you are, particularly about the risk of an emergency admission with pneumonia. If what he says about the GP is true, just having him checked over will do no harm, but he may also be “selectively” remembering what the GP said.
If he is “crackly” and feels poorly persuade him to have his chest listened to again. It may not be as bad as you think and will put your mind at rest.
Men!

Marydoll Fri 28-Jun-19 08:01:42

Travelsafar, I have chronic lung conditions and am prone to frequent chest infections.
Sometimes the first course of antibiotics doesn't clear it up altogether or it may not be the correct one for the infection.
My consultant advised me to take a sputum sample to the doctors whenever I have an infection, to send it away for a culture to ensure the correct antibiotic.
A chest infection can leave you feeling very unwell. I would strongly advise your husband to go back or at least phone his GP for advice. (Could you do it?)
I hope he feels better soon, it must be a worry for you.

Liz46 Fri 28-Jun-19 08:05:18

Unfortunately I am a bit of an expert on this subject and would agree that a sputum test would be good and maybe a CT scan.

Marydoll Fri 28-Jun-19 08:13:55

Liz, I didn't know my consultant was a member of GN. I have had just had a "Déjà vu" moment. grin I can actually picture him, saying that. (He is a scary man!) I had forgotten about the need for a CT scan. It will give a good picture of the condition of the lungs.

Travalsafar, it may also be sometime before your husband even gets a hospital appointment, please do as Maw advises, some gentle persuasion is needed.

POGS Fri 28-Jun-19 10:43:48

travelsofar

I have COPD/Broncheactasis and like your husband and others what you describe is so typical .

If he is not careful it will be a distinct possibility his infection could become quite serious and waiting for his hospital appointment is no excuse to not return to his GP as steroid tablets and more antibiotics could help him .

My brother -in-law who also has COPD did develop water around his heart due to COPD , it is caused by abnormally low oxygen levels in the vessels inside the lungs . I am certainly not saying that is what your husband has but taking advantage of ANY medical diagnosis is just comment sense.

How long has he had this ' bout' , is he sleeping sitting in a chair because he cannot lie down, is the mucus he is coughing up clear, cream, green, blood flecked? Keep an eye on how much he is drinking and is he peeing. Signs of a serious infection can be spotted but the speed with which it happens is the reason why your GP will I am sure be keen to see him .

All common sense questions but if he has lived with COPD for a while he possibly thinks ' this is all par for the course' but you too have lived with a partner who has COPD and if you feel this ' bout ' seems more concerning then keep badgering him, I am glad my hubby badgered me, twice !

EllanVannin Fri 28-Jun-19 11:19:05

Were any of you smokers ? Just curious/interested.

crazyH Fri 28-Jun-19 11:27:50

POGS - I have Bronchiectasis, but I very rarely resort to abs. I have chronic productive cough, but I don't feel ill enough to warrant abs. I save that for if and when I am really ill.
Travelsofar, ask your hubby to see his GP, who will decide further action. Good luck!!
My main symptom is lethargy.

POGS Fri 28-Jun-19 12:08:11

crazy H

'POGS - I have Bronchiectasis, but I very rarely resort to abs. I have chronic productive cough, but I don't feel ill enough to warrant abs. I save that for if and when I am really ill.'
-

Oh dear. Well yes , don't we all take antibiotics when we are ' really ill'?

I hope I did not give the impression I take antibiotics willy nilly.

If and when anybody with Broncheactasis/ COPD develops a ' chest infection ' then antibiotics and steroid tablets are prescribed. You are fortunate not to have the curse of repetitive chest infections it appears but it is obviously an individual problem dependent on many factors.

Ellen Vannin

None smoker.

However at our age we couldn't enter a room whether it be in a home, restaurant, pub , club , work place, public transport etc. that didn't mean wading through smoke. Did Passive smoking cause problems further down the line, who knows?

The smoking ban may in time give some results and I hope the younger generation do not have so many cases diagnosed but smoking is not solely responsible for COPD which takes various forms.

EllanVannin Fri 28-Jun-19 12:30:34

Thankyou POGS. I showed my interest because I am a smoker and ( touch wood ) have only had one episode of bronchitis during my lifetime which had been due to having had a cold many years ago. I still went to work !
Chest x-rays over recent years have shown clear----unfortunately it's my circulation which is dodgy.

My dad smoked too when I was growing up and pubs were once full of smoke too. Chimneys billowed smoke out of them for years-----then there were the trains and dirty exhausts from buses that we had to endure.

Children with asthma has increased with this cleaner air ?

Sar53 Fri 28-Jun-19 14:08:00

I too have Bronchiestasis and when I was commuting I had chest infection after chest infection. I get very few nowadays but always have a supply of antibiotics at home so I can start them when needed. I have been told to take a sample to the surgery to be tested each time in case the antibiotics need changing.

Marydoll Fri 28-Jun-19 14:37:01

I too have bronchiectasis, but have been on a low dose antibiotic three times weekly for about six years.
These prophylactics have certainly done their job and have reduced episodes of serious chest infections drastically.
If I do have a severe one, they are stopped and I am prescribed an alternative and steroids.

travelsafar Fri 28-Jun-19 18:07:36

Thank you for the helpful replies.He still wont go to the GP so as one of you said he is an adult it is now up to him.

I have offered to ring the surgery to tell them about my fears but he doesnt want me to. Men indeed!!!!

JacquiG Sat 29-Jun-19 10:02:53

You might want to ask your doctor about having a blood test for vitamin D levels. There is scientific evidence to show low levels can mean more respiratory infections. If low, then supplement. It's not expensive, and can be bought at Boots, H&B, and amazon. If very low, then doc may be able to prescribe.

It is used in the immune system, not just for bone metabolism.

There are also vaccines against some forms of pneumonia. Ask about these.

Just so you know, in 2002 I was diagnosed with asthma. After that, the good news about vitamin D became more widely known so I joined the lobby group campaigning for more widespread knowledge of its value. The bad news is that 85% of the population is deficient. (Rain, little sun, etc)

I was having constant colds, and they started to end up with pneumonia. 6 weeks off work sometimes, which meant my work was going to pot. So I started supplementing, starting with 2000 iu a day.

When I read that much higher doses did not lead to anything dire, I increased the dose gradually over time. My secondary chest infections disappeared, and eventually all my horrid colds and coughs. Still have asthma, but it is controlled with very low dose of medication. On the very rare occasions I do get a cold, it doesn't last. Just a day or so of a runny nose.

I must emphasise this is just one person's response. But you might search on the net to find the work being done.

Make sure you don't have any parathyroid problems, ask your doc. And make sure you both get real sunshine - no creams, but NEVER burn - and have a good diet with plenty of vitamins and trace elements. All used in the immune system.

Sunshine is good for you. It reduces blood pressure, and makes 'happy' chemicals. Lots of good chemicals made in the skin from cholesterol when exposed to sunshine, not just vit D. But NEVER burn.

Patients need to advocate for themselves now. So good luck.

JacquiG Sat 29-Jun-19 10:13:51

Just read your last message travelsafar.

There are types of breathing which help COPD. There are researchers at Manchester Uni doing research on how to help patients with lung cancer minimise problems. I found these helpful with a bout of asthma last year.
Google RDSI.
Acceptability of a complex non-pharmacological intervention for respiratory symptoms in lung cancer: views of patients, carers and clinicians. J Yorke and others.

There are also chest physiotherapists who can teach how to cough productively, and how to manage. Suspect not on NHS. Mine had to be private.

Marydoll Sat 29-Jun-19 11:04:11

You can have chest physiotherapy on NHS. I have had it.
I was referred to teach me how to clear my lungs each morning, referred by a respiratory consultant.
Perhaps it depends on your health board.

Annaram1 Sat 29-Jun-19 11:14:58

As far as I am aware, a GP will always give more antibiotics if the patient has a chronic lung disease. GPs are reluctant to use antibiotics willy nilly for ordinary coughs and colds but for chronic patients they usually give them, unless there is something better. Perhaps you could speak to his GP yourself.

Gma29 Sat 29-Jun-19 11:39:51

Does he take Carbocysteine? My OH, who has COPD had a dreadful 18 months of one chest infection after another. The hospital prescribed this, and the effect has been incredible. It thins the mucus, so the chest gets far yless “clogged” and less of a breeding ground for infection. It did make him cough more, for the first 2-3 weeks, but he was told to expect this.

In the 3 years since starting to take it, he has only had one infection.

Grandyma Sat 29-Jun-19 12:00:11

I have COPD and get a lot of chest infections. I have to keep a supply of antibiotics and steroids in the cupboard and start taking them as soon as the symptoms start. The first course doesn’t always work and I have to have a further, stronger course of antibiotics to really get on top of the infection. I am currently taking a very high dose of Vitamin D as a recent blood test showed that my levels are very low - an initial 7 week course and then an indefinite lower dose. COPD is difficult to cope with, my lungs only work at 45% capacity now. I also have advanced osteoporosis which has been caused by the inhalers I need containing steroids. I smoked when I was younger, but stopped years ago. I was perfectly healthy when I stopped smoking but the damage was done. I have the flu jab every year and the pneumonia vaccine every five years. I’ve also had pulmonary rehabilitation which was very helpful. I think your dh needs another course of antibiotics/steroids. Does he attend his regular spirometry checks at the GP’s?? I do know that the NHS are investing a lot of money into lung disease as it is so common nowadays due to air pollution etc. Anyone reading this who smokes please stop!! It will take away your health and lung cancer is far from the only problem it causes. Lead as normal life as possible, just slower than before. ?

Mcrc Sat 29-Jun-19 12:43:35

We are all concerned about our spouses but try not to micromanage his health. Calling for him makes it seem like he is your child. He could be very concerned but is not jumping to conclusions.

sazz1 Sat 29-Jun-19 13:07:17

I have COPD and I'm a smoker so that is most likely what caused it. However, recent research has identified anyone using bleach or a bleach spray as little as once a week in the home is at high risk of COPD. My GP always gives me antibiotics and sometimes steroids for chest infections. Don't like the steroids as they cause my hair to fall out about 6 wks after I finish the course. It does grow back though. Also the best inhaler for me is Atrovent Tell your OH to see the GP ASAP

Annaram1 Sat 29-Jun-19 16:36:30

sazzi, I cannot believe that you have COPD and merrily admit to being a smoker and you believe that it what caused it!!! What is the point of the GP giving you antibiotics and steroids when you nullify their effect by poisoning your lungs and entire body by the wholly unnecessary act of smoking? You think that bleach is just as bad., and seem to think that it is OK to smoke? ... I am speechless!!!! And your pocket cannot be to healthy either!!!!

NannyC1 Sun 30-Jun-19 03:01:32

Travelsofar. I don't know where you live but in Liverpool we COPD nurses attached to hospitals who come out to see COPD patients in their home when they are having a bout. You maybe able to find their location on your local NHS site. And/Or ring his GP and ask for a home visit! What's you DH going to do stop her/him seeing them? No.Good luck and tell your husband to stop being so bloody stubborn.

dogsmother Sun 30-Jun-19 10:58:04

Perfect post grannyma ?
Annaram1 please don’t be so judgemental !

4allweknow Sun 30-Jun-19 11:24:21

All that POGS has said is good info and advice.