Gransnet forums

Health

Hair loss

(66 Posts)
GrannyIris5 Tue 02-Jul-19 09:42:57

Any suggestions it’s coming out in handfuls - seems like it anyway.
Looks worse because it’s shoulder length.
I’ve recently lost weight - is it connected?
I’m almost 64 so not menopausal.
Lacking vitamins?

ValRMN Sat 06-Jul-19 09:50:52

I sympathise GrannyIris5. I started losing my hair in my 50s after hysterectomy, although I can't be certain there was any connection. After umpteen tests and investigations, seeing an endocrinologist for ages, etc, it was finally, depressingly, labelled as female pattern baldness. I've tried all sorts of lotions and potions since then, including Regaine for women, herbal treatments, oils, you name it. Finally I've decided the best approach is to simply disguise it, and having tried various expensive nano-fibres, sprays etc, my best success is to use Charles Worthington Root Regrowth cover up powder. It comes in several shades, I just dab it on to my scalp after I've washed and dried my hair, rub it in a bit, slight comb-over to complete the disguise, and Voila, job done!
Good luck!

blondenana Sun 07-Jul-19 11:25:07

valRMN I have not seen the Charles Worthington one, is it less expensive than the Toppix etc, it was £19-99 and i don't like it at all,
My Dr said my hair loss doesn't follow the normal pattern for female pattern hair loss, so i am thinking it might be down to stress, or hormones,it is patchy in different places on mt head, mainly at the back

Liz46 Sun 07-Jul-19 11:59:03

I had to take some strong pills for a lung condition and my hair went very thin. It has started to grow back but has funny 'lumps' which the hairdresser is trying to tame. She said that when women are ill, their skin, hair and nails are the first to suffer. Some of my hair is growing in the wrong direction now.

blondenana Sun 07-Jul-19 12:29:58

Liz46 i read on one of the threads, i think an older one when i searched hair loss,that some people who had hair regrowth said their hair came back curly
If put hair loss in the search bar lots come up, from previous gransnet threads

blondenana Sun 07-Jul-19 12:38:43

HazelG I don't think for one minute that anyone who loses their hair and wants it back , does it for anyone else's opinion ,and personalty is often subdued when people have no confidence, surely you would feel better if your hair was back to how it was before you lost any,

Liz46 Sun 07-Jul-19 12:41:59

Thanks blondenana, I'll have a look.

blondenana Sun 07-Jul-19 13:05:02

I would post a link if only i could, not good with that, hope you find them ,there is more than 1 person saying it

annabanana Sun 07-Jul-19 14:45:00

I have female pattern baldness - not too bad at the moment but I'm 57 and it will get worse with age. Mum and gran had the same type of hair. It really bothered me at first but on a weekend away to the coast I saw a women who clearly had severe alopecia. She was beautifully dressed and had decided to die it and keep it short. She was with her husband and two other couples and was laughing and enjoying her evening. It seemed to me that she had made the decision to accept it and then I realised how lucky I was and accepted my hair. It's not an easy thing to do especially if women have had fantastic hair and there is the saying that hair is a woman's 'crowning glory' but I hope not to let it get me down.

rossalex Mon 01-Nov-21 11:43:08

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Davida1968 Mon 01-Nov-21 11:58:12

Ask GP for referral to an NHS dermatologist. This route should mean you get a diagnosis of the problem, which is crucial. Then next steps (if any) can be discussed. Or you could "go private" - but my advice is to see a dermatologist before anyone else! Good luck.

merc09 Thu 28-Mar-24 16:55:54

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Georgesgran Thu 28-Mar-24 17:30:16

Reported.

LoretBeauty Thu 11-Apr-24 16:34:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Georgesgran Thu 11-Apr-24 16:45:28

Reported.

Georgesgran Thu 11-Apr-24 16:45:52

OLD THRESD RESURRECTED BY SPAMMER!