Gransnet forums

Health

Advice re Hayfever

(2 Posts)
Evie64 Fri 05-Jul-19 21:15:30

Hi all, over the last few years I have developed what I think is hayfever or the like, and it's getting worse and worse. I've got a dry hacking cough, runny nose, runny eyes etc. I sometimes cough so badly I'm sick. My chest is clear and the GP just gives me antihistamines which do not appear to be doing anything at all. Allergy testing on the NHS is no longer available so I've bitten the bullet and just paid £158 and had tests for inhalants at my local private hospital and am awaiting the results. I find if I am in a room where the windows are open, I can't stop coughing, and of course this exacerbates my stress incontinence. I've looked up "Air Purifiers" as I wonder if that is the next course of action? They seem to vary from as little as £35.99 right up to £400. Has anyone ever bought one and if so, which one and does it help? I'd be really grateful for some advice. I'm at my wit's end. confused

rosecarmel Fri 05-Jul-19 23:15:09

I apply cold water to my face a few times a day, focusing on rinsing eyebrows, lashes and around the nose- I also rub a light coat of oil around my nostrils, either coconut or olive, to catch some of the pollen so it all doesn't enter the nasal passages- Sometimes there's so much pollen in my lashes that when I rinse them it burns my eyes like crazy at first but does seem to provide some relief from constant irritation -