Gransnet forums

Health

My armpits are a human hazard

(61 Posts)
granny4hugs Wed 10-Jul-19 16:28:15

I am way past periods and the menopause so this cannot be hormones (can it?) My underarms have become a ‘hazardous area’. I’ve never used chemicals if I can help it – deodorants, hairsprays - even make up is not something I’ve bothered with on a day to day basis and I do not want to give in to some toxic, noxious substance under my arms but tbh my underarms are occasionally toxic and noxious.
Careful but not obsessive about hygiene, I have to wash under my arms many times a day when the smell occurs and sometimes the stink is back within half an hour. It’s very strong and sometimes kind of ‘nutty’ (sorry if that’s too much information).
My partner says my ‘woman smell’ is sexy because he is an idiot. If I put on a bin bag and flip-flops and said that was my outfit for the day he’d say I ‘make it look good’. He IS NOT to be trusted where women’s presentation is concerned.
Yes, I’ve tried coconut oil and tea-tree and a wash with a bicarb solution. It gets rid of the odour but it comes right back when it’s happening. Other than staying away from human habitation for the four or five days it tends to last - any suggestions?

aggie Wed 10-Jul-19 16:30:46

fungal infection , go to the doctor

Minniemoo Wed 10-Jul-19 16:32:55

Ah, granny4hugs, your partner sounds just like mine. I know I resemble a zombie from The Walking Dead most of the time, but according to him I am a rare beauty o-0 As for your smelly armpits, I am at a loss as to what to suggest. So if you've managed thus far without deodorant, would it hurt to try one out now? Just to see if things improve? Also have you asked your GP about it? You never know, it could be something they can help with. I hope that someone can give you some better advice smile

mumofmadboys Wed 10-Jul-19 16:33:55

Daily shower, deodorant and cool clothes. A fungal infection would cause a red rash with a distinct edge.

Minniemoo Wed 10-Jul-19 16:34:23

And just as an aside my eyesight isn't what it was ... even when wearing glasses ... I thought your moniker was grannyforthugs. Which I thought was very noble!

Liz46 Wed 10-Jul-19 16:36:55

Try a mineral stick - no chemicals and I've asked my husband to tell me if it doesn't work well enough! He said I'm fine.

crazyH Wed 10-Jul-19 16:42:59

Granny and Minnie.....what lovely husbands. Don't change anything - they love you just the way you are.

mumofmadboys Wed 10-Jul-19 16:47:47

I'm not sure men are good judges in this area!!!

sodapop Wed 10-Jul-19 17:22:22

As this is a recent thing granny4hugs I would check it out with your doctor. It may well be an infection as aggie says. Washing the area too much may be counter productive as well.

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jul-19 17:34:08

It'll probably be the sweat glands that are causing the problem.

Fennel Wed 10-Jul-19 17:36:58

I once read that the odour of your sweat reflects what you eat. Do you have a spicey diet with a lot of onions?
Are you on HRT?

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jul-19 17:49:30

Do you think you could be actually washing your armpits too much and wiping out healthy bacteria?
I know it can happen with "other bits" (said in a Les Dawson whisper) but not sure about pits.

shysal Wed 10-Jul-19 17:49:34

I have also heard that a natural mineral crystal may help. If you do decide to use a deodorant make sure it is also an anti-perspirant. I use a Sure men's invisible one, which does a good job. Of course unwashed clothes when they become warm will also smell. I used to work with a woman who hand-knitted a lot of her jumpers and didn't like to wash them very often for fear of spoiling them. I well remember the smell!
I hope you find something to suit you.

vena11 Wed 10-Jul-19 18:04:07

I use Salt of the Earth its a salt deodorant natural one you can buy it in Hall and Barretts no smell no chemicals. It does a first class job and with no smell on your cloths. All my family use it now.

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Jul-19 19:05:41

Botox can help if you are sweating a lot.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jul-19 19:18:35

Yes, it would stop your face from wrinkling up when you get a whiff of your armpits!
Actually, I know someone who had botox and it stopped their sweating entirely.

fizzers Wed 10-Jul-19 19:26:12

6% hydrogen peroxide should remove any bacteria,

FlexibleFriend Wed 10-Jul-19 19:46:10

When I had this problem, the doctor was no use and 72 hour antiperspirants just gave me a really itchy red rash. Once that cleared up I bought some surgical spirit and cotton pads and wiped under my armpits straight after washing and before applying antiperspirant, it worked from day one and over time they pong took longer to return.

ReadyMeals Thu 11-Jul-19 10:00:20

I use hibiscrub, kills all types of body odour for longer than normal soap.

Lock Thu 11-Jul-19 10:05:25

A different approach.
1. Sanitize your washing machine. You can get bottles of it in any supermarket.
2. Buy a bottle of fabric sanitizer. Wash your clothes, particularly your tops, in the sanitizer several times. ( It takes a few washes to work fully, trust me.)

The "add white vinegar" trick really doesn't work, in my opinion.

Bacteria can lurk in clothes so it may not be you that is smelling, but your clothes.

If, after your clothes are hygenically clean and you still pong, consider going to the GP. Body odour is linked to several diseases and infections.

I have a new rubbish washing machine that was making my clothes smell musty. I never had a problem with my twenty year old machine which worked brilliantly.
I am now having to be careful about sanitizing the machine as regular 90 degree washes just don't keep it clean, unlike the old machine.

Annaram1 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:18:05

Why are you against using deodorants? I have used them for over 60 years with no ill effects, so these things are probably non-toxic.
What about the Simple range of washing products, cleaners etc.? I believe you can get a Simple deodorant which has no chemicals. My daughter who has multiple allergies always uses Simple products.
Your husband may like your smell but I can guarantee nobody else will. First try the advice of other grans here and then uses the Simple range as I have suggested.
Good luck.

granny4hugs Thu 11-Jul-19 10:28:59

Well - if having a good laugh could cure my intermittent underarm stink the problem would be solved. Thanks for the serious and the funny responses.
As for going to the GP - I only goes if something is actually hanging off (leg / arm / head) going for pongy pits - couldn't do it.
I've tried some of the methods suggested but not the salt. As for botox - er sorry - I'd rather smell.
And - yes - granny 4 'thugs' is a great idea smile smile smile

Luckygirl Thu 11-Jul-19 10:35:03

Interesting - I am in the opposite situation. I do not seem to sweat any more and certainly no pong. I use Mitchum unscented stick deodorant and you could - if you wanted! - go a fortnight without a drop of sweat or pong. I often sniff my clothes in the morning (!) and not a hint of pong even in hot weather. I have also stopped growing armpit hair!

Kisathecat Thu 11-Jul-19 10:39:04

Look up an armpit mask, it’s made with clay and bicarbonate of soda, do it every few days it really helps. Potash (potassium alum) powder work really well as a natural deodorant you can either use the powder or mix it with water to make a spray on.

Guineagirl Thu 11-Jul-19 10:47:24

Hi,

You don’t mention if it itches at all. I would recommend dermol wash I use the hand pump soap but I wash my armpits with it as it was recommended by the hospital as I had fungal all over it is antimicrobial it took a while but it cleared up, fungal does smell. After my Mam died the stress caused the most awful itchy armpits and they smelled and crusted it turned out I had Hailey Hailey Disease but it’s gone now, The dermol I still use as it really works.