Gransnet forums

Health

I have fallen x

(33 Posts)
Esmenonna Mon 15-Jul-19 19:51:38

Hallo, my friends,
Oh dear, I have fallen.
I was doing so well. I got through the weekend. Cravings were strong, but I read through your messages and that helped me so much.
Today I am so ashamed.
I have not only not attended my meeting, I am drunk,
Am lost. Xx

Pantglas1 Mon 15-Jul-19 19:54:57

As Scarlett Ohara said ‘Tomorrow is another day’. Don’t let it turn into a binge - pick yourself up and start again.

MissAdventure Mon 15-Jul-19 19:58:51

Hello there.
I didn't comment on your other thread because you got such a lot of good, meaningful advice.

I do hope the people who offered you support then will be able to help you through this, and out the other side again.

I'm sure such an ingrained habit will be difficult to stop, in fact I know it by my struggle to give up smoking.

I'm convinced you can do it, as you have such a mature attitude towards it. flowers

Esmenonna Mon 15-Jul-19 20:09:14

Oh , I like that. It must be so hard to give up smoking. Some people don't understand.

Esmenonna Mon 15-Jul-19 20:10:09

I can't do it x

Esmenonna Mon 15-Jul-19 20:12:11

Am thinking of talking to my husband and goin to a residential type place. I can't do it alone

Cold Mon 15-Jul-19 20:16:13

Do you have a sponsor/mentor that you can call for help?

mosaicwarts Mon 15-Jul-19 20:19:23

I am going to echo Cold, can you ring anyone for support?

Grannyknot Mon 15-Jul-19 20:43:03

Esmenonna even going to a residential type place won't help you if you can't go it alone after.

Rather ask your GP to give you something to help with cravings.

Research shows that each time you sober up again after a lapse, it has an accumulative positive effect and the sober times get longer and longer and better.

So don't give up because of one stumble (you didn't fall, you stumbled) and remember you can start your new one-day-at-any time - it doesn't have to be in the morning! Just get back on track and ask someone in AA to help you.

Good luck and hugs. flowers

Bordersgirl57 Mon 15-Jul-19 20:48:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Glammy57 Mon 15-Jul-19 20:54:17

Don’t be too hard on yourself, Esmenonna; these things take time! Do you have an AA sponsor? I would suggest that you ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist. If there is a long waiting list, please consider a private consultation. Psychiatrists are used to dealing with all sorts of addiction. Hopefully, you’ll be prescribed medication to ease the weaning off alcohol and be offered a place in a rehab clinic. We are all rooting for you, remember this! Warmly, K. ?

Grannybags Mon 15-Jul-19 21:00:30

You can do this Esmenonna!

One day at a time and don't be too hard on yourself

Good advice already given flowers

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 21:03:51

Adult social services are a source of help too.

Esmenonna Mon 15-Jul-19 21:10:39

Thanks, everyone, I think I'm going to get residential help. I can't do it alone. I tried, but the cravings were too much. For my GD's sake, and mine alone, am off.
Thank you, each and every one of you for your messages ; you have warmed the cockles of my heart,
I love you xx

Luckygirl Mon 15-Jul-19 21:19:45

This is a blip. And there will be many on the way to success - just like when you try to give up smoking or lose weight.

Hang on in there. You have missed a meeting - go to the next.

No need to be ashamed - it is an illness.

Stay strong.

Esmenonna Mon 15-Jul-19 21:21:34

Yes, private...is the way to go xxx
Oh Grannyknot.....you are so lovely.
Bordersgirl57?- I did intend it !!! I had a fantastic time with my grand daughter - I loved it. We laughed so much.
Granny bags..,,do you know, I am actually pissed off with being too hard on myself,
I am so busy with myself. Like you all, putting everyone first. Arghhh xxx

Lazigirl Mon 15-Jul-19 21:28:04

Please, please don't give up Esmenonna. You are not alone in this experience. Many who manage to overcome their dependence on alcohol or drugs, have slipped a few times at the outset. Do not be too hard on yourself, as others have said, tomorrow is another day. You need a buddy who has been through similar to support you.

gransal Mon 15-Jul-19 21:30:20

Hang on in there It took me 3 goes to stop smoking and it was only when I was rushed hospital because I couldn't breathe that I stopped. please get as much help as you can, it's a long road but you are not alone.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Jul-19 21:39:14

Don’t give up it’s not the falling down that counts but the getting up
with an army of grans behind you we can carry you along until you are strong enough to carry yourself
One day at a time

Esmenonna Mon 15-Jul-19 21:46:56

Omg. I hear you. Is it wrong that I loved it when I was drinking.? I was so happy- felt so relaxed x. What's wrong with that ? I had a great weekend with GD . We played, we baked, we built things- yeah, that was a greater high I admit. But can I have a rest? What else is there?

M0nica Mon 15-Jul-19 21:54:18

Esmenonna, all your fall has done is prove that you are an ordinary fallible mortal like all of us, not some superhuman person who never fails.

I cannot think of anyone who has given up anything, who has not had a lapse, or even dozens of lapses, whe it is something really serious like alcohol, or food for the dangerously obese, or heavy smokers with lung disease.

We all aways hear of the miracle workers, who stop and never start but they are a very small minority. Most of us try t stop, stumble, get up go on a bit further and fall again, but the falls get less extreme and the gaps between falls gro longer, so hang on in. Go and see your doctor, find yourself a councellor and keep on with AA, they will support you, you re following a path so many of them have followed flowers flowers

Glammy57 Mon 15-Jul-19 21:55:23

Lovely words from BlueBelle! No, it isn’t wrong that you loved it when you were drinking. We are all human and everyone of us has a weakness. I’ve always considered myself a strong person but, my goodness, I have my failings - too many to list here! Sending good vibes your way and keep reaching out to us, on GN. xx

Esmenonna Mon 15-Jul-19 22:01:07

Thank you, MOnica, you speak so much sense. I am going to listen to you, because you remind me of someone else. You are right. Am going to my doctor, and if need be, a councillor. Thanks.

Alexa Tue 16-Jul-19 00:30:29

There are more healthy things to do that will put you in a happy mood, Esmemonna.

GrandmainOz Tue 16-Jul-19 00:33:17

See your doctor. You can be referred for all kinds of help. You don't have to do this alone. Reach out. Best of luck.