Gransnet forums

Health

Mosquitoes

(21 Posts)
Labaik Mon 19-Aug-19 20:47:15

Anyone else suffering from the worst summer I can remember for mosquito bites. And, what is weird is that, when I get a new bite previous bites that were healing suddenly erupt again. Also, sometimes I see myself being bitten and react straight away but other times it takes almost a day for the lump to appear. I even get bitten when I have Jungle Formula on. And, how do they bite me INSIDE my clothes ? I think ticks are a problem, too but, thankfully it's only other people I know that have had a problem with them.

Minniemoo Mon 19-Aug-19 20:57:03

I've been lucky that they don't seem to be attracted to me. Unlike my poor husband and youngest daughter.

Skin So Soft by Avon is supposed to be one of the best, and unexpected mozzie repellant. My husband found this out from a Royal Marine friend who was based in Scotland. Here's a link

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-marine-commandos-moisturiser-repel-insects-jungle-desert-deet-repellent-a7904086.html

Husband and daughter swear by it as well and it smells nice!

Labaik Mon 19-Aug-19 20:58:45

Yes; my daughter got me some. What I will say is on no account is it to be sprayed onto broken skin [ouch !!!]. Don't understand why children don't seem to get bitten, either.

Minniemoo Mon 19-Aug-19 21:01:19

Ouch! I can imagine. It is an odd thing how a whole family can be sat together in the garden or on a beach and 2 of them are bite free and the rest are covered. My husband tells me it's because he's sweeter than I am!

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 19-Aug-19 21:07:45

Jungle Formula 4 is our saviour. We work outside all the time, weather permitting. Horse flies, mossies, ticks. Can't say it keeps them off all the time as you do have to respray.

I tried the Avon one but no where near as good as Jungle. Marines in Scotland don't need to anoint themselves extensively over their body. They're covered up quite a lot. I suspect it is mainly for their faces. Loads and loads of midges in Scotland. I've seen folks with nets over face to keep them off.

I really don't think there is one solution for all of us. My husband's allergic to mossies and `Jungle is the only one for him.

I get ticks more than him,. No reason for it as I cover up more than he does. Thanks goodness we're at then end of the tick season.

Lessismore Mon 19-Aug-19 21:15:54

Somebody told me if you eat marmite they keep away?

GrandmaKT Mon 19-Aug-19 21:17:52

Are these mosquitoes in the UK? What areas? We're in the NW and not had any problems, but we're heading down to the South coast this week and DH is particularly susceptible. Maybe I'd better stock up on repellent?

Labaik Mon 19-Aug-19 21:20:33

I'm in the Midlands.

Labaik Mon 19-Aug-19 21:24:50

I noticed that Jungle Formula Extra [?] has deet in it which repels ticks; the one I have doesn't. DD opened her kitchen door late last night to let the dog out and the room was swarming with mosquitoes...

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 19-Aug-19 21:26:23

Lessismore.
I wish. We have it every day for breakfast.

GrandmaKT
I'm in Cornwall and live/work in wooded/meadow area. We get quite few and in the house. I use citronella cones when we are sat outside and have slow release stuff in the cottage. The cones are brilliant.
My husband's hearing is brilliant and he can hear them. The fly spray is also handy.

kittylester Mon 19-Aug-19 21:31:09

I always thought they were gnats! Have they been renamed or are they different?

maddyone Mon 19-Aug-19 21:39:18

We live near the south coast, but I can’t say we’ve had many mosquitoes around. Do you live near water Labaik? Children do get bitten, my little grandson returned from Italy a few weeks ago absolutely covered with mosquito bites, poor little lamb. He had to wear his Dad’s tee shirt in bed, with the arms tied off at the end to try to stop him scratching them. Mind you, last year my daughter and her family rented a trulli (house) in southern Italy, and they found there were bedbugs in her and her husband’s room. They were absolutely covered in bites that took ages to heal. Luckily there were no bugs in the children’s room. She was distraught to be so covered in huge bug bites, I did feel sorry for her. They had to leave and get an apartment in a aparthotel, then fight to get money back for the trulli.

Labaik Mon 19-Aug-19 23:03:49

I went on holiday and put my plant pots in tubs of water so, of course, when I got home they'd been breeding in them. I've been told that they only buzz after they've bitten you...shock

maddyone Tue 20-Aug-19 10:32:22

It could be the water that attracted them Labaik, assuming the plants were outside.

Labaik Tue 20-Aug-19 11:44:42

My daughter has them as well at her house; and a friend of hers has been bitten and she's never been bitten in her life before. We were stood on a bridge the other night [ok it was near a river] and were surrounded by them. It makes me think if Scotland and midges.

Newquay Tue 20-Aug-19 13:15:11

I posted earlier on another thread about the same problem. This year i’ve Had about 8 or so bites taking ages to go, v inflamed and itchy. Takes about 4 days to begin to subside. Off to Menorca tomorrow where I know there are always loads so have been taking vitamin B, will use Avon’s Skin so Soft all day and DEET Jungle in the evening. Use steroid cream immediately bitten night and morning and antihistamine in between. Also clorphenomine tabs. Apart from covering head to foot I don’t know what else I could possibly do!!

Labaik Tue 20-Aug-19 17:29:56

I've also bought calamine lotion and cream which has helped soothe the skin. And E45. I know someone whose legs were so bad she had to go on antibiotics; she was sure the little critters were lurking in her jeans. Even the poor dog is attacked by them on walks. I may start using the plug ins I used to take on holiday. Those after bite dab on pens are pretty effective, too. It just seems odd having to do things in this country that I normally do when away on holiday. At first the bites didn't bother me [it sort of made me think of being on holiday] but after weeks of being bitten everywhere that feeling has long since gone...

LisaSmith Mon 27-Jan-20 10:55:05

I bought Runbugz deet free mosquito repllent in India, only time I got bitten was when I forgot to put it on. You can
buy it locally and cheaper on your arrival.

www.runbugz.in/

timetogo2016 Mon 27-Jan-20 15:31:49

I get bitten constantly as does my DH.
They seem to be around all year too and seem bigger.
I had 7 bites two weeks ago and they take ages to heal and some leave nasty scars.
My GP said it`s because I have rich blood ? and I`m allergic to any repellent.
So i spray T tree oil and peppermint oil around the house and lavender oil on my clothes.
One can but try.
A funny story my DH was bitten on his backside I bet that killed the little mite and no I didn`t offer to get it out either.

endlessstrife Mon 27-Jan-20 16:00:18

Anything with ‘Deet’ in kills them dead. The only problem is, if you use a spray it smells awful and gets in your throat. Do it outside if you can. The roll on is best.

Alishka Mon 27-Jan-20 17:22:33

And the exquisite agony of getting bitten on the soles of your feet shock
Some things I just don't miss at all.