Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jabs

(177 Posts)
Teetime Thu 12-Sep-19 16:26:01

All done today at Lloyds Pharmacy - no queue, no appointment necessary and no waiting - excellent service- used to wait forever at the surgery.

craftyone Fri 18-Oct-19 18:07:23

I never had the flu jab and never will. I did have flu in 1978 and remember how bad it was then. I use homeopathy for flu, I get the correct remedy with the current flu strains from France, do that every year and have already started on the prophylaxis treatments and will use them until april

Urmstongran Fri 11-Oct-19 21:22:09

You Pamela, WWmk2 and me can be the ‘flu musketeers tomorrow.
???

PamelaJ1 Fri 11-Oct-19 21:08:14

Not so old, what a terrible experience for you.

I don’t think that I belong to a very vulnerable group even though I’m 66 I’m hale and hearty. However I’m having mine tomorrow. If enough of us decline the jab then the more vulnerable will be at greater risk.

Urmstongran Fri 11-Oct-19 21:05:48

Mine’s tomorrow at 9:15am! Maw good post ??

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Oct-19 19:58:50

Mine’s tomorrow 10.40am.

Luckygirl Fri 11-Oct-19 19:54:01

Too healthy to get flu? It is no respecter of persons; least of all the most vulnerable in our communities, as Maw rightly points out.

Those who make such statements have clearly never had real flu.

Jane10 Fri 11-Oct-19 19:52:16

Parsley- Well put!

Parsley3 Fri 11-Oct-19 19:12:55

I am getting my flu jab on Monday at the GP clinic. What on earth is a cold or flu person? I have never had the flu but reading about the suffering of those who have, I will take every precaution to avoid it. Healthy people benefit from not getting the flu and becoming less healthy as a result.
Not to worry, those who think they are too healthy to get flu or that going to the doctor makes you a hypochondriac, we will protect you with our responsible choices.
Thank you, Maw, for your post.

blondenana Fri 11-Oct-19 18:19:21

Jane10 oh i will definitely have the flu vaxx, i have a friend who rattles on about mercury in it etc, but i wouldn't risk not having it, would be just my luck if i didn't to get a first bad dose of flu
Re;the pneumonia vaxx, i was told i had had it previously,and i don't think i did,the nurse who was giving my my flu jab was called out of the room just after giving me the flu one, but it was on my records as having had it
I don't remember having 2 jabs, and when i told my Dr he said can't risk giving it to now in case you did have it, because the nurse recorded it that i had

Elegran Fri 11-Oct-19 13:58:21

And you don't know which of the hundreds of people you come into contact with each day come into the vulnerable categories listed by Nurse Bitz.

Elegran Fri 11-Oct-19 13:56:03

Calling all those who are so healthy that they are not going to take advantage of the FREE flu jab - please read the MawB Thu 10-Oct-19 21:24:40 post and think again. Think of those who are NOT as healthy as you, whose immune systems are compromised and who will catch it from you if you get it and it spreads around. - Perhaps you will be OK (you'll feel like hell, but you'll pull through) but they could be so ill that their lives are at risk.

DanniRae Fri 11-Oct-19 13:40:37

I had a doctor's app yesterday and she offered to do my flu jab and I was happy to get it over with. I have it every year and never have any problems - except maybe a bit of a painful arm - but that didn't happen this year.

BBbevan Fri 11-Oct-19 13:34:57

Had mine last Tuesday. Easy peasy and no sore arm

SueDonim Fri 11-Oct-19 12:47:48

To all those who say they're very healthy - everyone is healthy until they're not. I was healthy, not having had a cold in years, until flu hit me on Christmas afternoon 2017. I went to bed and didn't get up again until 2018. It took a good three weeks to recover and I was terrified I had infected my four week old granddaughter who was staying with us.

Thankfully, she was fine, but as I neither wanted to put her at risk or to endure flu myself again I paid for the jab last year. This year I qualified for a free jab and also the pneumonia one. No after effects except for mildly sore arms which quickly resolved.

MawB Fri 11-Oct-19 12:32:00

theretheredear and tidyskatemum please, please read my post.
It beggars belief that given the opportunity to defend ourselves and the rest of the community against this potentially lethal virus, there are still those whose heads are firmly in the sand. sadsad

Jane10 Fri 11-Oct-19 12:27:01

blondnana- I was always healthy too. Not having the vaccination is just whistling in the dark.
Read MawBroon's post. ?

TheReadingRoom Fri 11-Oct-19 12:25:57

We're being offered a Pneumonia jab as well as the flu jab!

blondenana Fri 11-Oct-19 10:33:12

I have the flu vax just around the corner at my local pharmacy ,because it is a long walk to the Drs and i don't drive
As yet though ,[hope i don't jinx myself] i have never had the flu,or many colds
Will be going next wednesday
I do sometimes wonder if i need it though,as normally very healthy

theretheredear Fri 11-Oct-19 10:24:14

I am not a cold or flu person, rarely ill. So i would not have a flu jab, I'm not convinced healthy people benefit.. Research is patchy to start.

Beckett Fri 11-Oct-19 10:08:19

I had my flu jab last weekend - no ill-effects, not even a sore arm. I think it is important to have, especially for those of us who are older and live alone.

Someone explained the anti-vaxxers logic as thinking a bridge is only 99.99% safe so they would rather swim a wide river.

harrigran Fri 11-Oct-19 09:03:50

The last time I had flu I was extremely ill and my mother died four days into the illness. I had to get out of bed and sort things out, I really thought I was going to die myself I felt so rotten.
I have gladly accepted the vaccination every year since I was eligble.

tidyskatemum Thu 10-Oct-19 22:06:56

Surgery rang to remind me to book a flu jab despite the fact that at 64 I’m not yet eligible. I think it’s a ruse to get me through the door as I haven’t seen the GP for at least 6 years (and then he was useless) and don’t intend to go again unless absolutely necessary. I am firmly of the view that once they get you in their clutches it’s a slippery slope towards pill taking and hypochondria.

Jane10 Thu 10-Oct-19 21:49:37

I was really frightened when I had flu. I felt that this could be it. It's hard to convey how awful it was. I have never been as ill as that. I've insisted on the jab ever since.

Grannmarie Thu 10-Oct-19 21:44:16

Thank you for that, Maw B., that certainly is food for thought.
I get the flu jag annually through my retirement job of supply teaching, as I am not yet 65. I get a voucher from the school office for a free vaccination in the local Lloyd's Pharmacy, never had any problems although I have an autoimmune condition.
I have never had flu thankfully, but several years ago I developed pleurisy after radioactive iodine treatment for overactive thyroid. I was ill for weeks, felt that I had aged ten years, so if that is anything like flu, I wish to avoid it, for my own sake and the sake of those around me.

MawB Thu 10-Oct-19 21:25:29

Sorry -“ because she is not in the UK.