Gransnet forums

Health

He's so damn stubborn!

(45 Posts)
phoenix Fri 11-Oct-19 18:35:30

A letter from NHS came for Mr P, the second one in a few weeks, so I opened it blush

It states that he had failed to attend an appointment at our local surgery on 3rd September for abdominal aortic aneurysm screening, so it had been rebooked for the practice in our nearest town for 24th October.

When I spoke to him about it, he said he had no intention of going, and will "just bin the letter"

I am bloody angry

How dare he waste NHS time like that! If I had realised the first letter actually referred to a booked appointment, I would have at least had the courtesy to phone the surgery and tell them that he would not be attending!

He has had other letters in the past, inviting him for screening or tests, and always just ignores them and puts them in the recycling.

When pressed as to why he won't go, he just says "I don't want to", like a damn toddler!

We are so lucky to have such services, FREE! I don't particularly enjoy smear tests and mammograms, but by hell, I'm grateful that they are available free of charge!

I appreciate that as a self employed person he loses money when not at work, but surely he could take half a day for something so important?

Sorry to rant, but he is really pi**ing me off over this!

Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 18:40:01

Well you and I feel that way, but he clearly doesn’t!!
Do you think he seems a bit scared?
He shuts down the argument pretty quickly with his reply

Auntieflo Fri 11-Oct-19 18:40:17

Phoenix. I am so sorry that he is putting you through this.

Does he not realise just how serious this is?

He could have a serious bleed, from which he may not recover.
I hope you get some support from tour family in getting him to change his mind

MissAdventure Fri 11-Oct-19 18:41:47

He needs to let them know, at least.

Its spectacularly selfish to just not turn up. Bloody man!
Now I'm angry with him too! angry

phoenix Fri 11-Oct-19 18:42:49

Auntieflo no family around for support sad

MissAdventure Fri 11-Oct-19 18:43:19

When my mum wouldn't have a smear test (not that she ever would have just not turned up - unlike SOME PEOPLE!) she had to sign a sort of disclaimer.

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 18:44:54

Men are scared of these things. Don't know what the answer is.

CanadianGran Fri 11-Oct-19 18:45:30

Explain as a self employed person, someone who booked his time at his business didn't bother to cancel would certainly affect the bottom line.

He should at least have the decency to cancel. Perhaps you should open all his mail, although that just shuffles the work down to you.

phoenix Fri 11-Oct-19 18:45:32

MissAdventure I'm actually glad that I opened the letter, at least I can now phone our wonderful surgery and apologise, and also the surgery in town and tell them that the ungrateful git won't be attending!

MissAdventure Fri 11-Oct-19 18:47:20

Yes, at least they'll know its nothing to do with you, Phoenix.

GrandmaJan Fri 11-Oct-19 18:47:39

Not cancelling pre booked appointments costs the NHS thousands of pounds a year so I can understand why you’re not happy especially when another patient could have had that appointment. It would be more sensible to ask patients to contact the department and make their own appointment. I’m like you and attend and grateful for any screening and my DH had the aortic aneurysm screen which I was really pleased about. Is your DH worried about the possible outcome do you think? I don’t suppose you’ll get him to change his mind so you will just have to keep a look out for his post

tanith Fri 11-Oct-19 18:48:35

I had to drag my OH to his AAA screening he would of binned the letter if I hadn’t got to it first. He was diagnosed there and then with a very large Aneurysm which consequently ruptured while he waited for the surgery to repair it. The surgeon who operated on him told me he was just minutes from dying when they got him on the table but he lived because of the skill of the surgeons and our wonderful Ambulance service who sped him across London with minutes to spare.
Show your Mr P this thread so he realises the seriousness of the situation. Hopefully he will get a clear scan. Good luck.

cornergran Fri 11-Oct-19 18:50:44

Totally understand phoenix. Mr C did go for his, I. nagged incessantly until he gave in. I was incredibly relieved at the outcome. Mr C? Just a shrug and ‘I knew it would be OK’. I believe he needs to get some symptoms checked at the moment. He’s not budging. Head firmly in the sand. Aren’t they frustrating?

MissAdventure Fri 11-Oct-19 18:50:48

I just think an appointment could have gone to someone who is waiting patiently for their turn in the system.

Its really bad form.

phoenix Fri 11-Oct-19 18:51:27

Grandmajan I have no idea if he might be worried about the outcome, as he now isn't speaking to me!

He's not especially great at talking anyway.

May as well live on my own, with the cats!

BlueSky Fri 11-Oct-19 18:53:59

Please tell him that my dad died suddenly of this condition at 65. That was 35 years ago when there was next to no treatment or prevention, nowadays it can be screened and managed.

phoenix Fri 11-Oct-19 18:55:09

tanith I could show him this, but I would still have more chance of plaiting snot than getting him to go to be checked out!

Harris27 Fri 11-Oct-19 19:00:20

I’ve got one like him. He keeps ignoring the poo test I’ve given up now it’s his life but I’m so annoyed!

phoenix Fri 11-Oct-19 19:00:25

BlueSky sorry for your loss,thanks your dad was exactly the age that Mr P is.sad

gt66 Fri 11-Oct-19 19:01:54

I don't wish to worry you, but DH's friend died of a ruptured aorta; happened overnight and his wife found him next morning! sad

SueDonim Fri 11-Oct-19 19:35:32

He should think himself bloody lucky to be offered a test that's a one-off (doesn't need to be repeated), painfree and you get the result there and then. It takes about ten minutes, that's all.

phoenix Fri 11-Oct-19 19:36:10

gt66 that's exactly my point!

And we don't have life insurance either!

If he pops his clogs, that's it, we have an interest only mortgage, and nothing to fall back on.

GrannySomerset Fri 11-Oct-19 19:45:33

Remind him how much less he will be earning lying in a hospital bed post-operation - or even dead! Mind you, DH has gone from ostrich to hypochondriac in the last couple of years and I sometimes think he is looking for things to be investigated. Hard for men to be right, poor things,

phoenix Fri 11-Oct-19 19:54:58

GrannySomerset hard to remind/tell/inform/advise him of anything when he won't either talk or listen!

Doodle Fri 11-Oct-19 20:01:41

Ok phoenix this is fact. If he goes they will check him and if he’s got a problem coming they will spot it and fix it. If he doesn’t have a problem he will be ok for years. This is one fantastic test. It is so simple and painless and if he doesn’t go he is an idiot. This is not like bowel screening which is good but can be a bit hit or miss and doesn’t mean you won’t get a problem in the future. This is something that can let you know if you are going to be ok or if you need monitoring. If there is something wrong they can fix this and save his life. This is one of the best tests around. No urine samples no poo sticks just lie there for a bit it’s simple. I repeat if he doesn’t go he’s an idiot - and I am not a rude person and would never dream of saying that to anyone under normal circumstances. If he values anything in his and your life he should go. So there. ?