Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone had thyroid biopsy inconclusive

(4 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 12-Oct-19 11:45:16

Four months ago I had thyroid biopsy that was inconclusive had to have a repeat few days ago expecting biopsy results in two days time, had ultrasound results stating that although not aggressive as nodule hasn’t grown in last four months could still be termed as suspicious, not going to know until get the biopsy results back, trying to keep positive but very difficult, consultant did say if biopsy comes back inconclusive for second time I could go for surgery, I really don’t want to as I don’t want to have thyroid out on two inconclusive results, I’d rather wait and be monitored every 3/6 months, I’m not in good health have other autoimmune illnesses etc

EllanVannin Sat 12-Oct-19 12:15:54

TrendyNannie6, I would say leave well alone. I began having thyroid nodules in the 70's and it wasn't looked upon as being suspicious then. Years later I have developed a goitre which isn't really going anywhere and a few years ago I had two needle biopsies as well as an ulra-sound scan-----all negative results though one GP at the hospital showed concerns that the vicinity of the goitre was somewhat near the windpipe and could create problems with swallowing and even breathing.

After the examination I was given a slip of paper referring to a partial removal but I refused. Another GP said, a couple of years ago " if it ain't broke " etc. so it just shows the differing views that doctors have. Anyway, the goitre isn't noticeable, only on examination----I even had a camera down my throat, but touch wood I can't say it's giving me any trouble and I've never had any follow-ups.

I don't fancy my throat being cut either ! Cancers aren't common in that area.

Farmor15 Sat 12-Oct-19 19:25:21

I had inconclusive results for thyroid biopsy- apparently very common. However, my thyroid was overactive, and over many years I’d developed a large goitre - it had started interfering with swallowing. Eventually I had it removed, and though full of nodules, none were cancerous.

Though I was very scared of having my throat cut, the symptoms I had beforehand were also scary and I recovered quickly from surgery. However, if I only had nodule with inconclusive biopsy result, I ‘d opt for watch and wait approach.

Missfoodlove Sat 12-Oct-19 19:55:48

At the age of 36 I developed a goitre, it was follicular cancer.
I had a partial thyroidectomy and have been fine. I have not even needed thyroxine.
It was caught quickly, I would always err on the side of caution.