Gransnet forums

Health

Weighted Blanket for Insomnia?

(66 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 19-Oct-19 08:49:07

Has anyone tried a weighted blanket for insomnia? I still have my 4 tog. duvet on the bed and have added a lightly quilted bedcover over it for more warmth until I need to change up to my winter duvet. I have noticed that I find the extra weight of bedding quite comforting and have come across weighted blankets quite a bit recently and am wondering about getting one.

They are expensive - has anyone tried one?

Sparklefizz Tue 22-Oct-19 18:13:20

Red I have asthma too, and use preventer and reliever inhalers, but I have been ok with this so far.

craftyone Wed 23-Oct-19 07:29:21

All these poyester lightweight duvets don`t help sleep at all, they get too warm and don`t allow the body temperature to self regulate. Take a few steps back to childhood, well worn cotton sheets and heavy army blankets. I don`t remember older women complain about insomnia

Personally, a wool duvet, topped with a wesh wool blanket. A good 7 1/2 sleep last night. Its not all about weight but mostly about tmperature regulation in the night

NotAGran55 Mon 28-Oct-19 06:27:04

Sparklefizz how are you getting on with the blanket please ? Has your improved sleep continued ?
I think I am going to push the button today and buy your recommendation whilst it is still on offer .

Thank you

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Oct-19 08:00:37

NotaGran I am getting on brilliantly! Getting 8 hours' sleep most nights except for the night when I got 9!! shock

Pantglas2 Mon 28-Oct-19 08:07:25

I’m with crafty one - my wool duvet has got my husband sleeping seven hours straight through most nights since we bought it last month. I’ve always slept well but this has definitely been money well spent!

mumofmadboys Mon 28-Oct-19 08:14:14

EllanV your post is totally incorrect medically. I hope no one takes it seriously or they will be misinformed

EllanVannin Mon 28-Oct-19 08:19:04

Suit yourself mumofmadboys, it works for lots of people.

SirChenjin Mon 28-Oct-19 08:32:11

Agree mumofmadboys - it's always very concerning when people post factually incorrect medical information.

Ellan - it's not a case of 'suiting yourself'. Keeping warm might ease symptoms or arthritis but being cold doesn't cause viruses, nor does wearing flimsy clothes or not looking after yourself cause arthritis which is what you claimed in earlier posts.

NotAGran55 Mon 28-Oct-19 10:30:20

That’s great news for you Sparkefiz - and hopefully for me smile Thank you .

NotAGran55 Mon 28-Oct-19 10:31:14

Oops Sparklefizz

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Oct-19 10:53:23

Good luck NotAGran. I hope you find it as successful as I have done. (Even my cat loves it! grin)

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Oct-19 10:54:17

Cat doesn't go underneath it, by the way, as it would be too heavy for her.

NanKate Tue 10-Dec-19 16:25:36

My son who has had insomnia since the break up of his marriage like you Sparklefizz has tried EVERYTHING to improve his very disrupted sleep. We have bought him one of these blankets which he got reduced down to £90 from £130. It’s early days but the last two nights he has had good sleep, waking occasionally but going back to sleep. He says for the first time in months he feels like his old self.

Tell me Sparklefizz have you continued to sleep well, I do hope so ?

BlueBelle Tue 10-Dec-19 16:36:27

I have no central heating so no heating at all upstairs I sleep under two winter duvets up and over my ears and have a hottie bottle by my back and one by my feet I love cuddling down so only my nose is out I m cosy cosy lovely

Farmor15 Tue 10-Dec-19 16:47:28

Noticed this thread before but didn't get around to reading till now. I think the success of weighted blankets for some has something to do with weight, not warmth. My mother claimed she could never sleep if she didn't have enough weight on her - if she was away, she would sometimes throw a heavy coat over bed.

I actually had opposite problem - grew up in cold house and sheets and blankets. On particularly cold nights I'd add an old-fashioned eiderdown, but found I slept very heavily and sometimes overslept in morning, but didn't feel refreshed. Then duvets arrived and I tried one. It was a proper down one, and very warm, but light and I found I could do with less sleep, but woke up feeling rested. Obviously the weight works well for some - glad to hear success stories.smile

Sparklefizz Sun 15-Dec-19 10:15:32

If anyone is interested, Koala have got a Xmas sale with their weighted blankets vastly reduced.

Sorry, Nankate I missed your earlier post on here on Tues. 10th Dec.

Farmor15 the blankets work because of the weight, not the warmth. The blanket will swaddle you.

Sparklefizz Sun 15-Dec-19 10:20:28

PS. Wish there was an edit button - forgot to say that I am still sleeping brilliantly with my Koala blanket, and my GP has become very interested because he first prescribed a small number of sleeping pills for me 24 years ago!!!! He knows how I have struggled in all those years.

Xxjanexx Mon 23-Dec-19 14:57:40

@sparklefizz...I have mixed personalities disorder and my husband treated me to one.
I love it,admittedly it did seem a bit strange the first night,but wouldn’t be without it now.

skb235 Mon 23-Dec-19 15:24:09

@Sparklefizz after reading your recommendation I have just now ordered myself the weighted blanket from Koala - I have been a terrible sleeper for 10+ yrs and have tried allsorts so here's hoping.... 30 day money back if it doesn't work is sing the cost... but right now I'd pay anything to just sleep

skb235 Mon 23-Dec-19 15:24:48

soothing the cost - that should have said...

TerriBull Mon 23-Dec-19 15:34:29

I've read about them, I suffer from insomnia since the menopause and from getting very hot at night so wonder if the blanket would therefore work for women like me. I'd get one if I thought they could.

endlessstrife Mon 23-Dec-19 16:04:15

I think it’s like anything else, it’s whatever works. Since menopause, I haven’t been able to have too much on me at night at all. In fact, our roles have reversed, and my husband is now the cold one. We’ve got a winter duvet, comprising of two separate ones, one is 9 tog, the other 5. We usually start with the 9, and then add the 5 if we need it. He usually does, I just kick them both off!

Sparklefizz Mon 23-Dec-19 17:16:53

Good luck with your weighted blankets everyone. I am not sure how it will be in hot weather as I have only had mine since the autumn, but I do find the weight very comforting.

One small tip - because of the weight I think I would struggle to remove the cover for regular washing, so I use a top sheet on the bed which is easy to change every week, and put the Koala on top of that.

NotAGran55 Mon 23-Dec-19 17:20:55

I ordered Koala blanket at the beginning of November and received an email to say they would not be able to supply it until the end of November. They offered a further £5 off the price but I wasn’t prepared to wait and got my money refunded . I was not happy that they were offering ‘deals’ , taking the money but couldn’t fulfil the orders .
They have constant reductions which is a nonsense.
I bought a John Lewis one for £26 less smile and had it delivered the following day .

Sparklefizz Mon 23-Dec-19 18:13:43

NotAGran When I was researching weighted blankets, I came across a news article in (I think) The Guardian on the blankets in general, which tested a number of them, and the Koala came out in the top 5 ..... so I expect they were inundated with orders just after that.