Gransnet forums

Health

Weighted Blanket for Insomnia?

(66 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 19-Oct-19 08:49:07

Has anyone tried a weighted blanket for insomnia? I still have my 4 tog. duvet on the bed and have added a lightly quilted bedcover over it for more warmth until I need to change up to my winter duvet. I have noticed that I find the extra weight of bedding quite comforting and have come across weighted blankets quite a bit recently and am wondering about getting one.

They are expensive - has anyone tried one?

NotAGran55 Tue 24-Dec-19 06:50:59

That probably explains it Sparklefizz . The JL one is great and I am sleeping much better . I love the heavy feel of it .

Sparklefizz Tue 24-Dec-19 11:56:37

Great news NotAGran.
Happy Xmas

MamaCaz Tue 24-Dec-19 12:27:44

This thread has certainly got me thinking.

To be honest, I can't really afford to buy one of these blankets, though I might find a way if I knew for certain that it would help me.

Next time OH is away, I am going to experiment with some heavy hand-made quilts that I made as bedspreads, to see if they make any difference.

I mentioned the weighted blankets to OH this morning - his response (and I should have seen it coming!) was that if I wanted extra weight, he would lie on top of me if I liked! hmm

Sparklefizz Tue 24-Dec-19 12:29:00

grin MamaCaz

Sealover Tue 24-Dec-19 14:58:00

MamaCaz, mmm... I got that response from my husband but he is so fed up with my insomnia he actually bought me a Koala weighted blanket (thank you Sparklefizz!). Whilst not a miracle cure my sleep quality is better. The Koala company will refund your money if you return the blanket after 30 days if it's not working for you. I do find the blanket very soothing and swaddling. Worth a try.

MamaCaz Tue 24-Dec-19 22:25:46

How easy/difficult is it to use one of these blankets if sharing a standard double bed?

From what I have just read, looking at a few different brands, you wouldn't use one to go across both people, but I am struggling to picture how I would use one of these while OH continues to use a quilt.

Stella14 Wed 25-Dec-19 01:07:42

I have been curious about the ‘gravity’ blankets, but not yet taken the plunge. I haven’t heard of the Koala brand before. I will take a look.

Sparklefizz Wed 25-Dec-19 09:00:09

MamaCaz I don't know as I sleep alone, but I have friends (a couple) who has a separate duvet each because of differing choices over warmth, so I guess you could do the same - have a single one on your side of the bed. They do show pictures of couples with a double sized one.

Sparklefizz Wed 25-Dec-19 09:00:38

"have" not "has"

MamaCaz Wed 25-Dec-19 10:04:32

I experimented last night with the only 'wieght' I had to hand - one of my heavy (but unpadded) handmade quilts. Unfortunately, only thing I could do was put it over the top of our normal double quilt on my side. I loved the feel of the extra weight, but not surprisingly was soon way too hot to sleep!
I will have to wait until OH is away next week to try a more sensible experiment.

MamaCaz Wed 25-Dec-19 10:10:17

Hmm- spot the obvious typo!

Sparklefizz Sun 05-Jan-20 11:19:37

How are people getting on with their weighted blankets? I still love mine.

NanKate Sat 11-Jan-20 07:31:44

My DS still loves his and it has changed from a very fitful sleeper into someone who now feels refreshed on waking ?

Sparklefizz Sat 11-Jan-20 18:43:54

That's great news NanKate. smile

NotAGran55 Sat 11-Jan-20 19:15:13

My sleep has definitely improved since I had mine . I would usually wake every 90/120 minutes and never sleep longer than 6 hours a night in total - frequently only 4 to 5 .
I now only wake once usually and have managed to get to 7 hours quite often.