Gransnet forums

Health

SAD

(35 Posts)
grapefruitpip Sat 19-Oct-19 21:02:14

Anybody successfully dealt with this? I feel very anxious about the dark nights and mornings.

SirChenjin Mon 21-Oct-19 13:39:02

I dread winter and hate it with an absolute passion. I've found my SAD lamp seems to help and try to get out for a walk during my lunch break (not easy to do where I work unfortunately). My commute in winter becomes a living nightmare along an unlit busy A road through moorland, which becomes far worse when it snows, so I live for the longer days.

Anthea1948 Mon 21-Oct-19 14:42:51

I take Vitamin D all year round (Drs orders) and I'm wondering about increasing the dose during the winter. I'm definitely going to look into getting a light box this year.

Cherrytree59 Mon 21-Oct-19 15:05:44

Understand how you are all feeling.
Another SAD suffer here.sad

I am my own worst enemy, Yesterday spent over three hours in the garden and my anxiety was managable.

Today have been indoors and my anxiety is on overload.

Months of September and October are completely spoiled for me, as I am on count down to the clocks changing.

November and December, I will be counting down the days until shortest day and then it will be back to watching the street light across the road and checking the time it comes on!
Madness I know!!

Due to meds I can no longer take St John's Wort.
But tomorrow I will be picking up my Vit D tablets from chemist.

How I wish we humans went into Hibernation from now until the beginning of spring.

I'm sure the southern equator countries could keep things ticking overwink.

Ps I am now lucky enough to have a small conservatory, which I believe actually saved my sanity last year, as I was able to sit and read etc without having to turn on artificial light.
Our sitting room becomes quite dark in the afternoon during the winter months.

grapefruitpip Mon 21-Oct-19 16:06:58

This is one of the reasons I struggle with Christmas....but perhaps better not to start WW3 by opening that up for discussion.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 21-Oct-19 17:00:56

More light in your home is probably really the only thing that helps.

Perhaps you could take up a new hobby to combat the long dark evenings?

I am the other away around, I adore the autumn and winter up to Christmas and hate the spring, which I try to get through as best I can. I find it helps not to think too much about the season we find depressing.

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Oct-19 18:51:46

I love all seasons as there is so much variety.
A great many SAD people on GN.

grapefruitpip Mon 21-Oct-19 19:03:58

If you love all the seasons why do you feel the need to contribute and mock people who suffer from this genuine condition?

No that's sad.

Some really great and sensible tips here, thanks to other posters.

SirChenjin Mon 21-Oct-19 19:10:16

Yes that’s right Gabriella - people who suffer from SAD have come onto a thread about SAD. It’s how GN tends to work - people start threads about things that affect them and others with similar experiences share their stories on said threads. HTH.

Cherrytree59 Mon 21-Oct-19 19:13:20

grapefruitpip.
Same here re Christmas.

The day with grandchildren is great, but I find the rest the hype quite depressing.

I do try to be upbeat, but just end up feeling that this time of year is a bit like groundhog day.

We (imho) in the northern hemisphere have drawn the short straw.
I picture sitting on a nice beach with some lovely prawns on the barbecue, watching Santa in his surf shorts handing out the children's presents.grin