Gransnet forums

Health

Absolutely horrified

(52 Posts)
GrandmaJan Sun 10-Nov-19 12:32:39

The subject heading is a bit ott when there are much worse things happening in the world but I was shocked when I went to put my pills into their little compartments this morning. I’m prescribed Tramadol 100mgs (slow release) to take twice a day. I won’t go into the reasons why I need such strong pain relief. Anyway I looked at the new pills I picked up last week to find they are Tramadol 50mgs in a 50mg box but the instructions say they are 100mgs slow release. To make matters worse there should be 56 but there are only 36! I’ll obviously be going to read the riot act tomorrow because this isn’t the first mistake they’ve made. I’m a Nurse Prescriber as well so I’m fully aware of how careful they need to be when checking. Yes it was “checked” twice because there are initials scribbled on the box. Well I’ve got that off my chest, I just needed to share it.

GrandmaJan Sat 29-Feb-20 10:40:35

Just another update to this ongoing saga. I received a letter from the Chief Pharmacist (from the Pharmacy Head Office) with a list of recommendations made at the pharmacy concerned and that the Pharmacist responsible for the error has to complete a Continuing Professional Development cycle as a result of the incident. This is where the plot thickens because the gentleman from the General Pharmaceutical Council has written to me this week to inform me that the pharmacy has been unable to establish who the offending pharmacist was! Unbelievable! They are withholding information to protect him/her. What about the missing Tramadol? The pharmacist could be addicted (sorry I’m being dramatic I know) and going to different pharmacies and pocketing the odd few because they said he was a locum. I’m not leaving it there, I’ve written to the investigator at the GMC and asked him look into this.....again. A nurse wouldn’t be protected to this extent. And finally the pharmacy hasn’t learned any lessons because 4 weeks ago when picking up a prescription an elderly gentleman was complaining his wife had been given the incorrect medication. He said is was double the prescribed dose and his wife’s GP said if she’d taken one it could have killed her because she’s so ill. I don’t suppose this has been reported.