Gransnet forums

Health

Horrible skin scabs

(29 Posts)
Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 12:11:36

I have several of these brown rough areas. i asked the practice nurse if the doctor would remove them for me, she said the doctor would just laugh at me .

Now I have a small one just below my eye and I'd like it removed before it gets any bigger. Should I ask the GP, or try to get it done by some beauty therapist?

GrandmaJan Tue 19-Nov-19 12:18:55

It would be very unprofessional if your GP laughed at you and I don’t think the practice nurse was at all professional either. I work as a nurse in a GP surgery and if I’d seen you I would have advised you to see the GP. You don’t know what it is or what is causing it. Make an appointment but not with a beauty therapist until you know what it is.

Liz46 Tue 19-Nov-19 12:20:22

I've got some of these on my back. It is wise to get them checked but as long as the nurse of doctor is not concerned about them, it's probably best to ignore them. I also have one just below my eye. One of the joys of ageing!

Fennel Tue 19-Nov-19 12:25:41

I have a few of those too. One of them, on my chest, was quite big and daughter made me go to the practise nurse who removed it herself. Painless.
This was over 20 years ago.

fiorentina51 Tue 19-Nov-19 12:40:37

Could be a form of sun damage common in we old folk. Get a professional opinion. I had one on my face which I had removed.

annsixty Tue 19-Nov-19 12:43:36

My friend has one on her face.
The GP said it could be removed but she would have to pay.
I think this is fair when very necessary ops are being delayed for lack of money.

Hetty58 Tue 19-Nov-19 12:48:51

I'd be asking my GP to refer me to a dermatologist.

Teetime Tue 19-Nov-19 14:13:26

Indeed its a dermatologist you need but it may have to be private if the NHS feels you are not in clinical need and its only aesthetic. If it were me and it was facial I would pay to have it done.

Gonegirl Tue 19-Nov-19 14:17:16

It's a senile wart. Only they don't call them that these days.

Gonegirl Tue 19-Nov-19 14:17:44

I try to scratch mine off.

SueDonim Tue 19-Nov-19 14:21:52

You should get it checked out by the doctor. There is a cream available for one type of sun-damage so they might prescribe that. If the GP laughs at you, report them.

HettyMaud Tue 19-Nov-19 14:26:00

You may be talking about Seborrheic Dermatitis? (Not sure of spelling). I've cured a couple of bad ones with Tea Tree Oil. But it is slow-going. You have to put it on daily. But it does work eventually.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Nov-19 15:49:30

I have one under my eye too it becomes much lighter in the winter but like a large freckle browns up in the summer I just put it down to part of my face, no big deal I don’t feel like I want to be changing me now I look alright brown freckle or not

crazyH Tue 19-Nov-19 15:55:05

I've developed somehing similar, on my forehead - started off as a sebaceous cyst,(I think), which burst and now it's scabbing over. If after 3 weeks it doesn't sort itself, I will see my GP.

crazyH Tue 19-Nov-19 15:56:03

Oh, Alexa.......see your GP.

Farmor15 Tue 19-Nov-19 16:56:32

There was a question about these a while ago and this link gives some useful information. As it says, mostly they are left alone, but can easily be removed - freezing with liquid nitrogen.
nhsforthvalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Seborrhoeic-Warts-Information-Leaflet.pdf

Fennel Tue 19-Nov-19 17:51:18

As gonegirl says, mine was a sort of wart. Still got one or two on my body.
But if they're on skin exposed to the sun, like the face, lower arms, they could be different.
I had a pre-cancerous mole removed from my arm.

NanTheWiser Tue 19-Nov-19 17:58:16

They are sebhorreic keratosis, yes - used to be called senile warts. I've got a fair few of them, mostly on my torso, but a couple on my face which I can cover with foundation. Years ago, I asked my GP about removing one from my back that irritated, and was told that such minor surgery is no longer carried out in GP practices. Considered as a cosmetic problem, they can be removed privately from a dermatologist.
I tend to pick at mine - eventually they come off.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Nov-19 18:13:13

Mine are flat like a large freckle not bumpy or raised are they the same thing

Callistemon Tue 19-Nov-19 18:40:39

Yes, they do sound like those seborrhoeic warts which come with older age, but, if you are worried, ask for a second opinion or a referral to a dermatologist to put your mind at rest.

I asked a registrar about some on my back and he advised me to rub them off with a pumice stone.

I didn't think that would be wise as they can bleed - besides which I couldn't reach them!

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 19-Nov-19 18:46:41

Firstly buy an intensive moisturiser and see if that makes a difference to the roughness. It doesn’t need to be expensive - one of the best for small areas is Blistex most usually used for cold sores (in a little tube). That may make a dramatic difference but if either the roughness or colour remains then do see a doctor. But in these straightened times it may be judged aesthetic And, as other posters have indicated, you may have to pay to be treated.

Callistemon Tue 19-Nov-19 18:50:17

Caveat: Do be careful what you put on the skin near your eye.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Nov-19 18:50:31

I wonder if lemon juice would fade them

PamelaJ1 Tue 19-Nov-19 18:51:25

None of us can see what you are talking about. There are such a lot of manifestations of age and, more concerning, sun damage. Most are nothing to be anxious about.
If you are worried go and see a doctor. I would.

annodomini Tue 19-Nov-19 19:59:59

I had a keratosis on my leg which my GP removed in the local surgery where he does minor surgery about once a month. When I say he removed it, he actually supervised a student he was training. No objection to that - trainee GPs have to learn by doing, not just by watching.