Gransnet forums

Health

NHS dentist costs

(34 Posts)
Cabbie21 Wed 04-Dec-19 17:48:07

I have recently transferred to a new dentist. My previous one always did a full scale and polish after an inspection, but my new one doesn’t, even though it is listed under Band One treatment. Today I was in and out in ten minutes. She did such a cursory check, said my teeth were fine, but that there were pockets of plaque and I need to see the hygienist, at a cost of £50.
Is this the new norm?

Cabbie21 Mon 09-Dec-19 19:39:35

Sounds as if a lot of us are in the same boat then.

Moocow Thu 05-Dec-19 21:45:11

I don't understand it either. My dentist used to include a polish after a little scrapping. Now I have to pay extra for a hygenist to do what the dentist used to do. I was always told my teeth were cleaned beautifully now suddenly I'm not doing it correctly and having to pay someone else for what used to be included in my dental appointment. I'm now in and out of the room in less than ten minutes.

Sadly my smile is the only reasonable part of me so I'm paying to keep it that way as nothing is working for the rest of me!

Ginny42 Thu 05-Dec-19 21:32:34

Ayse that thought crossed my mind. Kittylester it may be a long time before I need the crack filled.

However, I am pleased with the dentist/ his wife at the same practice, so I'm letting it go. It just seemed odd to present me with a bill with no course of treatment agreed.

I agree about the waterpik.

Blinko Thu 05-Dec-19 21:09:49

My nhs dentist doesn't do scale and polish routinely. Only if he considers it is clinically required. If it is, he charges band 2. I'd like to find a hygienist as my teeth stain quickly. I object to paying £60 for a sort of 'sand blast' job every three months...

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 20:59:46

But, if you are an nhs patient you should get one in a band 1 payment if you need one. Even if it is done by a hygienist..

craftyone Thu 05-Dec-19 19:21:36

a dentist trains for 5 years and has ongoing professional development throughout her career. My dentist is highly skilled and is an expert with anasthesia. I would never expect her to do a routine scale and polish, she is too qualified for that and her skills are needed for her many patients. I go to the hygienist for a scale and polish

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 19:20:53

Maybe I just have a suspicious mind but, at the NHS cleaning, my teeth and gums were deemed 'good', whereas at the following private treatment, I had gum problems, 'pockets' and tartar - funny that!

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 19:16:16

The only time I opted for the NHS 'scale and polish' was a real disappointment. They did some scaling but it was only a short appointment and my teeth were left feeling rough and looking stained.

The dentist 'doesn't have time', but if you insist (and tell them you're entitled to it) they'll do a quick scale (no polish).

What they recommend, of course is the private hygienist. It costs £55 for 30 minutes here (partly payable at booking).

This time, the dentist said that I needed a double appointment (deep clean) as I'd not been for a while. They recommend every three months.

I booked and reluctantly handed over the £110, then lay there thinking about what else I could have spent that on!

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 19:06:00

To be fair, NHS dentists are entitled to take the full fee at the start of the treatment. You agree to that when you sign the form.

Pudding123 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:59:32

I had this problem a few years ago and rang my local authority for clarification reguarding being told to book in with the hygienist at a cost of £36 .The L A told me to ask the dentist at my next checkup to provide a scale and polish as this was included in the price.I questioned it as I knew that my teeth had always been well looked after and did not need deep cleaning by the hygienist ,which to my mind have been unnecessary.Many years ago I was a dental receptionist and the dentist ( now deceased) always claimed for a scale and polish whether or not be did it or not.

ayse Thu 05-Dec-19 18:43:32

Ginny42, privatisation by the back door. They are ripping people off. Where else might you be billed for a service you haven’t received?

EllaKeat Thu 05-Dec-19 18:36:59

Agggghhhhhhhhh just did a buge long post and poof! Its gone?

I tried to add an image, but apparantly it was too small, so here is the link for my flosser www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-EW1211W-Dentacare-Rechargeable-Irrigator/dp/B009GUDVW4/ref=sr_1_9?hvlocphy=1006688&hvnetw=g&keywords=water+jet+flosser&hvadid=259038979587&qid=1575570191&gclid=CjwKCAiA8qLvBRAbEiwAE_ZzPUecA6DIseyfBOn3qarIAuP0Spq3AFt7O4IkicDujD3z0M2SOdevCxoC9OQQAvD_BwE&hydadcr=28152_1752810&hvpos=1t1&hvdev=t&hvqmt=e&tag=gransnetforum-21&hvtargid=aud-613701470069%3Akwd-299775600372&adgrpid=52127493254&hvrand=6373717292635292996&sr=8-9
It works wonderfully for me, leaving my mouth super clean and fresh. I have struggled for years with floss and interdental brushes, failing miserably with both.
The flosser works for me. It removed gunk that I would have sworn blind could not be there after such a thorough brushing.
Easily rechargeable, just like your toothbrush, and you can use it on a lower power to massage your gums.
Warm water only though - cold is a bit of a shock!

Ginny42 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:20:35

My dentist recently did a check-up and said there was a very fine crack in a tooth which would need treatment eventually, but not yet.

When I got to the receptionist she handed me a bill for £65. I told her I'd only had a check-up, but she said that was for the check-up and the filling when I had it. 'But I haven't had a filling and haven't even decided whether/when it would be done.'

She replied, 'Oh you don't pay that now. You just pay £28 now and the rest when you have the filling. Do you understand? She asked, barely disguising her exasperation. 'Not really'. Say I. 'I don't know why you're billing me for work I haven't even got an appointment for.'

The other receptionist turned and looked at me as though I was incredibly stupid. I paid the £28 and left. Is this normal?

Bakingmad0203 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:11:54

By the way- It is extremely difficult to get an NHS dentist here. I had to wait over a year. The main problem is that most NHS dentists go private and then you are back to square one looking for another NHS dentist! By the way there seem to be an awful lot of people with horrible teeth and I’m sure that that is partly because of the cost of going private which they can’t afford

Bakingmad0203 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:06:30

I live in Wales. Check ups under NHS are free for those over 60. However, I have barely sat down in the dentist’s chair, opened my mouth, asked by the dentist if I have any problems and I’m ushered out within 5 minutes. No counting my teeth or checking that there are any fillings loose.
When I asked why they weren’t being scaled and polished I was told they only do that if they are seriously full of plaque. Otherwise I have to see a dental hygienist ( another appointment) and I pay £40.
Also last time the dentist said I didn’t need 6 monthly appointments, I should book for a yearly one, and they don’t send out a reminder!
When I lived in England I paid for my check ups under NHS but they were far more thorough and always included scale and polishing

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 17:52:45

You could contact the commissioning authority (it used to be the local PCT but I'm not sure now) or Healthwatch might tell you a way forward but I fear you are on a hiding to nothing!

I think most hygienists are private nowadays.

Cabbie21 Thu 05-Dec-19 17:45:09

My thinking exactly, Kittylester, but not sure what I can do, other than pay up. I suppose I could write a letter of complaint to the practice manager. Yes, the hygienist is private, not NHS, but part of the same practice.

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 17:39:04

A hygienist isnt necessarily a band 2 and you should get it as part of the treatment if you are an nhs patient but that rarely happens. It is breaking the rules.

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 17:37:16

If you are an nhs patient and you need a scale and polish you should get is as a band one treatment - band 2 if it is more complex.

Sussexborn Thu 05-Dec-19 16:30:34

I have a water flosser and find it very good. Just remember to use warm water!

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:21:01

Denplan don't do fixed rates. They need an assessment of what work you've had done. More work = higher costs. I've been down that route.

NHS are fixed bands. Not all NHS dentists do a scale and polish. If you see a hygienist it falls into band 2. See attached image from NHS website.

I'm with private dentist now (just over a year). Pay £17.50 a month. It covers me for 2 check ups that include one x-ray if needed , 2 hygienist visits. 10% off all other treatment. £17.50 is for everyone regardless of what work I have had done before. In have a lot ! Bridges, crowns, implant ...

£50 for hygienist isn't an NHS charge.

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 15:04:47

It is wrong that dentists charge a private fee for nhs patients. If they need a s & p they should get it on the nhs. If they dont need it then they shouldn't have one at all.

But, it happens a lot and no action is taken.

Cabbie21 Thu 05-Dec-19 14:26:44

Jane10 I googled Denplan but could not find any prices. It said the cost would be decided by my dentist, depending on what care I need, so that did not help me. It could be worth considering though.

EllaKeat, could you give me more info about the water jet thingy, please?

Jane10 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:31:22

My dentist went private but under their scheme it works out cheaper for me than NHS. I pay £11 a month which gives me 2 check ups a year and dental hygienist appts as well as full cover for any work I need at all including emergency or out of hours appts. Suits me!
Check out Denplan.

EllaKeat Wed 04-Dec-19 19:51:55

I use a water jet thingy and they are amazing.

I always thought I was thorough with my brushing, but using the water flosser immediately after brushing still flushes bits out that brushing misses.
Well worth it (I really struggle with floss/interdental brushes)