Gransnet forums

Health

I’ve been called to the assessment clinic after a mammogram - absolutely terrified

(159 Posts)
SirChenjin Sat 07-Dec-19 19:16:37

I had my first mammogram recently at age 50 which was fairly horrendous - I fainted several time from the pain which the mammographer thought was the result of a large cyst bursting. I can’t describe how painful it was - I don’t want to experience that ever again.

She warned me that as a result of that and what she thought were other cysts, I’d probably be recalled. Sure enough, the letter came in today and I have an appointment on Wednesday. I’m terrified, even though I know that most woman who are recalled do get the all clear. I’m trying to hold it together but am feeling quite tearful.

Has anyone else been recalled? What happens at the appointment?

Callistemon Sat 07-Dec-19 23:19:08

That sounds very painful SirChenjin.
A mammogram does hurt a bit but if a cyst burst that could have been extremely painful. I would think that that would be enough to make the mammogram unclear and hence the recall or perhaps another cyst which they should be able to deal with quickly.

Good that you have an appointment quickly and good luck for Wednesday.

graninthemist Sat 07-Dec-19 23:23:32

I used to get a lot of cysts when younger, and the first one did scare me. After that I got quite used to them and the treatment, which just involved draining them. As I recall the cysts were rather painful, but more of a nuisance than anything because they would keep popping up. At least they were relatively harmless. Good luck on Wednesday. Being recalled is very daunting. We just want them to tell us everything is all right. I was recalled a few years ago as they found some calcium deposits that could have become cancerous. A needle biopsy sorted those out. Mammograms are not a lot of fun, but I intend to go back next year in spite of the fact I am no longer eligible for automatic recall.

MissAdventure Sun 08-Dec-19 00:20:32

Sending you every good wish, Sirch flowers

BradfordLass72 Sun 08-Dec-19 07:06:23

I too was called back, on my 63rd birthday no less.

They did a biopsy, found it was calcium deposits and put in a marker for subsequent mammograms to show up and check.

Those cysts need to be removed if they are causing such terrible pain.

Wishing you well SirChenjin - let us know how it all goes.

Grannyknot Sun 08-Dec-19 07:59:30

Hi SirChenjin I think that recalls happen routinely when something needs to be 'double checked' so in fact they should be reassuring, not anxiety inducing. The nurse gave you a 'heads up' that you will probably be recalled, so I would say this is a routine recall.

I was recalled after a mammogram a few years ago, also got myself all worked up and it was purely that the x-Ray was unclear. So I was being well looked after.

Best wishes for Wednesday. x

dragonfly46 Sun 08-Dec-19 08:06:28

Most mammogram recalls show nothing sinister. As you already know you have cysts i am sure that is what it is and a cyst bursting will make the mammogram unclear.
I wish you well.

grandma60 Sun 08-Dec-19 08:35:02

I was recalled several years ago now so I can relate to the week of feeling sick with fear.
It turned out to be a group of tiny cysts that were removed by a painless needle biopsy.
Having said that the staff were so kind I think I could have coped if the news had been worse.
Good luck for Wednesday.

leyla Sun 08-Dec-19 08:39:01

Just think it’s better to go and be properly checked out than to do nothing and regret it.

sodapop Sun 08-Dec-19 08:48:31

Can't add anything SirChenjin just wish you good luck and sorry you had such a painful experience last time. Take care thanks

Lins1066 Sun 08-Dec-19 08:50:38

Can't add anything to what's already been said SirChenjin so I'm just sending you my good wishes for Wednesday. ?

Harris27 Sun 08-Dec-19 09:43:38

I was recalled and was very worried as I had to wait two weeks for appointment however they redid the test and it was a vein that had bled due to a little bit pressure off the machine- phew the relief! Good luck .

Witzend Sun 08-Dec-19 09:48:00

I had a big lump once that turned out to be a cyst.

Sending all very best wishes, OP - I do hope your worries will be needless.

NannyJan53 Sun 08-Dec-19 09:51:21

Just want to add my good wishes SirChenJin flowers

SirChenjin Sun 08-Dec-19 09:59:06

Thank you all so much for taking the time to post - I hadn’t expected so many replies and feel quite emotional reading all your kind words thanks

I really feel for all of you who have been through similar and have experienced the fear and anxiety associated with the recall. Although it’s obviously something that happens a lot it’s still a very worrying time and I’m so glad that you all had good outcomes. Thank you again for sharing your stories, your support means the world.

NanaPlenty Sun 08-Dec-19 09:59:09

Sending you best wishes - hope all goes well for you. Let them know you’re nervous and they will look after you. When I have something coming up
That I dread I always think ‘this time tomorrow it will be done’. It helps me.

crazyH Sun 08-Dec-19 09:59:09

All the best SirChenjin... I had spontaneous bleeding from one of my breasts ...feared the worst, but after scans etc , had a small operation, they took it out and biopsy confirmed it was benign. Good luck! Dont worry too much . flowers

AllTheLs Sun 08-Dec-19 10:06:53

It's the waiting and worrying that's the worst bit. Try to hold on to reason for three more days. And all best wishes for Wednesday.

jannxxx Sun 08-Dec-19 10:07:56

tell them when you get there your fears, and that your very nervous, and worried, they will put your mind at rest.

Wilma65 Sun 08-Dec-19 10:14:18

I had 2 cysts too and biopsies. I also have some scar tissue. I have to go this week for a mammogram because I thought my breast felt a bit lumpy. The GP couldn’t feel anything but referred me to the clinic anyway for a mammogram and to see the consultant afterwards. Like you I’m terrified because my mum had breast cancer at my age.
I don’t know how I’m going to get to the appointment. Sometimes when I am really stressed I get a bad migraine and can’t keep appointments but I need to go for peace of mind. I hope it all goes well for you

Phoebes Sun 08-Dec-19 10:16:48

18 years ago I had a routine mammogram and they found a very small lump, which turned out to be a small piece of cancerous tissue.
Very quickly I was re-called and had the operation to remove it. The consultant said it was about the size of his little fingernail so he was able to remove it all. I only have a tiny scar.
There was a real feeling of camaraderie in the ward as we were all in the same boat.
I had radiotherapy, but no chemo, followed by one year of Tamoxifen, after which, when I returned to see the consultant, she said I could stop taking it as there was almost no chance of the cancer recurring.
I still go every three years for a mammogram, even though I’m well over the age when they contact me automatically. I just wait three years from the previous mammogram and then book myself in and I would advise everyone to do this, and never miss a mammogram, as my cancer could have been much worse if it had not been spotted so early.
Mammograms aren’t very comfortable, but only last a minute or so, so it is well worth putting up with a moment of discomfort to get a brilliant outcome.

janeainsworth Sun 08-Dec-19 10:22:20

I just want to add my good wishes, SirChenjin. I hope all goes well for you.

Binkiebonk Sun 08-Dec-19 10:23:19

I've had call backs twice now, which have necessitated biopsies. On both occasions the lumps proved to be nothing to worry about. For most people who get called back this is the case. Don't start panicking yet and if you do need further treatment, rest assured whatever you may have will have been caught VERY early!

Magrithea Sun 08-Dec-19 10:23:54

@SirChenjin please go! Yes it's terrifying in advance but not doing anything is worse!

I was recalled last year and had a small cancer removed. The recall appointment consisted of another mammogram to confirm the first finding, then an ultrasound and a biopsy. If it is a cyst they may want to sample the fluid in the cyst but you will be given a local anaesthetic before either of these procedures.

Tell them when you arrive that you're anxious and that the previous mammo was painful and why the radiographer thought that was. All the staff in the breast care units are experienced and sympathetic so please don't worry.

Best of luck!

Granny23 Sun 08-Dec-19 10:26:28

By co-incidence my big sister was also recalled and I accompanied her to the Breast Screening Centre in Glasgow last Wednesday. She also had a titanium marker implanted next to the tiny piece of unexplained dense tissue, a biopsy was performed and she has to go back this Wednesday for the test results.

All the staff were very reassuring, said that the mass did not look cancerous but even if it was it would be quickly removed. They stressed that this was the point of the Breast Screening Program, to catch the slightest 'thing' and treat it before it had done any harm.

knspol Sun 08-Dec-19 10:29:55

Have been recalled twice and each time was when I was living abroad (2 different countries) on one occasion I had a different kind of mammogram followed by an examination and the second time I went straight for an ultrasound. I was cleared both times (calcifications only) but as I've never been recalled in the UK I think probably they are not as thorough.