Gransnet forums

Health

I’ve been called to the assessment clinic after a mammogram - absolutely terrified

(159 Posts)
SirChenjin Sat 07-Dec-19 19:16:37

I had my first mammogram recently at age 50 which was fairly horrendous - I fainted several time from the pain which the mammographer thought was the result of a large cyst bursting. I can’t describe how painful it was - I don’t want to experience that ever again.

She warned me that as a result of that and what she thought were other cysts, I’d probably be recalled. Sure enough, the letter came in today and I have an appointment on Wednesday. I’m terrified, even though I know that most woman who are recalled do get the all clear. I’m trying to hold it together but am feeling quite tearful.

Has anyone else been recalled? What happens at the appointment?

grandma60 Wed 11-Dec-19 17:57:42

Wonderful news flowers

SirChenjin Wed 11-Dec-19 18:21:59

Thanks everyone - Christmas will indeed be a very good one this year!

Just in case anyone else is reading this in the future, I have the following advice (now that I am an old hand at mammograms!).

The appointment can last a few hours, so take some snacks, a drink and something to read. You’ll be taken into a separate waiting room from your partner so tell them to do the same.
The aspiration by needle wasn’t actually too bad - the worst part was when it went in, but it was more of an ouch than an Ooowwwwwwww. I had 1.5 big syringe worth’s drained so she was poking about for quite a while but it was really not bad at all. Once I’d had the cyst drained I didn’t feel anything more than pressure with the mammogram - certainly no pain. The radiographer took her time and did it really slowly just in case it got painful but it wasn’t- it was over before I knew it. I’ve had a bit of tenderness this afternoon and evening but nothing that a couple of paracetamol won’t sort out.

A pp said that there was a fine line and it’s so true. I was very, very lucky today and for that reason I would encourage everyone to take up the offer of a mammogram and to check themselves each month.

Thanks again smilethanks

EllaKeat Wed 11-Dec-19 18:24:38

?

Sillygrandma5GK Wed 11-Dec-19 18:59:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pudding123 Fri 13-Dec-19 14:58:36

Very pleased for your good news,I had a similar situation to years about 6 years ago and the feeling of euphoria when I was told all was well was wonderful as I had imagined a bad outcome.I wish you a merry Christmas

Smileless2012 Fri 13-Dec-19 15:05:00

Great news SirChenjin 'Merry Christmas'flowerswinecupcake

rosenoir Fri 13-Dec-19 15:37:05

I can imagine the relief , great news.

morethan2 Sat 14-Dec-19 12:58:05

I’ve only just seen your post SirChenjin I’m so glad things turned out well. It must be a huge relief. Take care now you’ve had a horrible shock.