Gransnet forums

Health

Euthanasia Referendum

(72 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:20:41

In 2020, New Zealand is to hold a referendum on whether to allow euthanasia for the terminally ill. It's been tried before, twice - 1995 and 2003 - and failed each time.

I hope we get it through because:

a) too many people are allowed, even forced, to die in appalling pain.

b) we should have a right to choose to die with dignity.
Having the choice does not mean you need to use it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_New_Zealand_euthanasia_referendum

I know we've discussed this before but it's now current news here.

NanKate Mon 16-Dec-19 21:28:43

And my vote ?

Will we get it in our lifetime, I do hope so ?

jura2 Mon 16-Dec-19 21:32:45

In the UK, you can support

Dignity in dying.

jura2 Mon 16-Dec-19 21:36:36

''We do not campaign to legalise assisted dying for people who are not dying, known as assisted suicide.

We do not campaign to change the law to allow doctors to end the lives of their patients, known as euthanasia.

We do not campaign to legalise assisted dying for people who do not have capacity to make the decision for themselves.''

From the Dignity in Dying site.

Tangerine- there is no risk of that with the proper safety guidelines in place.

FlyingFree Mon 16-Dec-19 21:43:59

I would definitely vote for that, so sad for families who want extra time with loved ones though. It would need time to become the norm and for people to adjust to a death date like a birth date x

jura2 Mon 16-Dec-19 21:52:59

a lot better than the alternative ... years of undignified and painful surviving because modern medcine makes it possible - a living hell.

midnightschild Mon 16-Dec-19 22:19:46

Totally support the idea of individual choice in this matter. I seem to remember reading that the actor (and campaigner for disabled rights) Brian Rix, who, as a member of the House of Lords, had voted against the Assisted Dying Bill, changed his mind when he himself was diagnosed with a terminal illness. He wrote to the speaker of the House and asked that the matter be reconsidered, explaining that he had given up on life, but that life had unfortunately not given up on him and that he wished that it was possible for him to be helped on his way.

BradfordLass72 Tue 17-Dec-19 03:34:54

As 'euthansia' means 'a good death' I don't see how that is confusing Jura2

BlueBelle Tue 17-Dec-19 04:21:07

I can’t explain why really but I don’t back it and don’t feel right about it but it is my personal take I feel we had no choice about arriving in the world and the same has to be for going I know no one will understand or agree but that’s my feeling
I m not really religious so it’s not that but I just feel really uncomfortable and wrong about it
I can understand people not accepting modern life saving treatment or writing a living will to not be resuscitated but to actually legally kill yourself or be killed just doesn’t sit right for me

Yehbutnobut Tue 17-Dec-19 06:14:21

That’s not what euthanasia is BB just the idea of ‘legally’ killing. It is defined as

‘the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma.’

and would have been discussed and agreed beforehand, that is before the individual sank into indescribable pain or total dementia so this action could be taken before sinking to those undignified depths.

BlueBelle Tue 17-Dec-19 08:07:16

yehbut I know exactly what euthanasia is and that it needs full agreement at a time before it is needed I totally understand that but it doesn’t make me believe in it Just because I don’t feel the sane about it doesn’t mean I don’t understand it
Surely the sentence you wrote to explain it is exactly what I said I call it legal killing you call it euthanasia isn’t that the same by a different name

All I m saying is I can’t feel comfortable with it but I m not saying others shouldn’t what’s wrong with that?

timetogo2016 Tue 17-Dec-19 08:13:55

Gets my vote too 100%.

AllTheLs Tue 17-Dec-19 08:34:44

Absolutely agree that we should have the choice and the means to do so.

endlessstrife Tue 17-Dec-19 11:16:07

When I worked as a nurse, I could see the validity of this. Since becoming a Christian, I changed my mind. Not only is there so much capacity for something to go wrong, you don’t know where you’re sending people. This life isn’t the end.

Chestnut Tue 17-Dec-19 11:28:50

I think most people find the prospect of a long and lingering illness far more terrifying than death itself. No-one wants to suffer or to cause suffering to our close family as they watch us declining. I would fully support assisted dying.

Blinko Tue 17-Dec-19 11:35:50

I support the aims of Dignity in Dying. I would not wish to be kept alive if there was no chance of recovery. We would not wish a slow, painful death upon an animal, nor should we for ourselves or our loved ones.

Yehbutnobut Tue 17-Dec-19 12:47:38

BB then that is your choice isn’t it? No one is going to hold you down and send you off to the happy hunting ground without your permission.

Yehbutnobut Tue 17-Dec-19 12:48:41

Ditto endless

Alexa Thu 19-Dec-19 21:54:25

endless strife, superstition of that sort is why I am not a Christian

Alexa Thu 19-Dec-19 21:57:53

For a doctor to assist dying is one of the ways a doctor can stop her patient's suffering.
My dogs have had this service from a compassionate vet.

Alexa Thu 19-Dec-19 21:59:52

www.dignityindying.org.uk/

jura2 Thu 19-Dec-19 22:03:24

Bradfordlass, about 'euthanasia' meaning 'a good death' - the problem is that in people's mind, 'euthanasia' means a good death without the person's request and clear wishes.

MissAdventure Fri 20-Dec-19 00:18:47

The problem I have with it is that humans are very adaptable.
As their health declines, so they grow accustomed to their new situation - sometimes.

I watched a documentary about a man with locked in syndrome, whose family, in all good faith, and in accordance with his wishes, wanted to allow him to die.

Time was taken by the hospital staff, and then it seemed he could communicate as time wore on.

They did very specific things like asking him did he like soap operas, and worded the question different ways, and his answer was an emphatic "No!" each and every time.

They were able to ask him, further down the line if he wished to be allowed to die, and he didn't. (Although he had always said before his accident that he would never want to live if he was ever badly disabled)

Namsnanny Fri 20-Dec-19 02:05:02

I feel similarly MissAdventure these things can be difficult to be completely decisive about.

Rufus2 Fri 20-Dec-19 03:52:57

Austraalian law currently forbids it in every State
Bradford I think you might be wrong there! wink
Wasn't this topic resolved overwhelmingly here in the affirmative recently?

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Dec-19 04:28:08

Rufus Before I wrote that sentence, I researched it and read, "euthanasia is illegal in all States". But, "assisted dying" is being trialled in WA and Mike Gaffney has plans to introduce a PM Bill for Tasmania.
Have you seen the film, "The Last Cab to Darwin"? Brilliant and so moving.

Jura2 in people's mind, 'euthanasia' means a good death without the person's request and clear wishes

In that case they should make an effort to be better informed rather than make foolish assumptions. There's enough information around to help them evaluate sensibly.

Whether we are talking about euthanasia or the right to vote, anything which takes people from 'no choice at all' to 'some choice' is, in my opinion, a better move.
It's progress.
It is not forcing anyone to choose euthanasia; it is merely giving those who are terminally ill, the right to die without lingering in pain.

BlueBelle I applaud your right to reject it when it feels wrong to you; there will be many who feel like that - and I'd fight for their (or your) right to choose too.

endlessstrife as a Christian that's your right. I hope provision is made so that anti-euthanasia staff in hospitals cannot prevent the legal right of patients to choose their own route to whatever is beyond life.

For the sake of both the Christian, whose beliefs would be compromised should they be forced to assist, and the patients themselves, it would be better if staff in these situations, were always volunteers.