Gransnet forums

Health

Euthanasia Referendum

(72 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:20:41

In 2020, New Zealand is to hold a referendum on whether to allow euthanasia for the terminally ill. It's been tried before, twice - 1995 and 2003 - and failed each time.

I hope we get it through because:

a) too many people are allowed, even forced, to die in appalling pain.

b) we should have a right to choose to die with dignity.
Having the choice does not mean you need to use it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_New_Zealand_euthanasia_referendum

I know we've discussed this before but it's now current news here.

eebeew Fri 20-Dec-19 04:40:17

I support the euthanasia bill. I know that not all pain can be eased because I used to work on a palliative care unit. Some pain is intractable. Another problem is that some take their own lives too soon because they are scared of losing the ability to do it themselves . If you knew the doctor would help you when you were ready for it this would prevent premature suicide.
Remember the film “Still Alice” ?

NfkDumpling Fri 20-Dec-19 07:30:59

I agree eebeew. If I had the security of knowing I could end it all when I wanted I would put off dying longer. Not that I need to yet but.....

Off to look at the Dignity in Dying website.

Alexa Fri 20-Dec-19 08:31:21

I agree, Hetty, it is sad to die alone having made that momentous decision all alone. I am sorry about your dear aunt, but I admire her fortitude.

The risk of proactive DIY dying is it might not work and you live on but in an even worse state. Religious nuts have much to answer for!

Rufus2 Fri 20-Dec-19 08:58:21

I researched it and read, "euthanasia is illegal in all States"
Bradford You've left Victoria out of your research, where euthanasia is now legal, thankfully. I feel like a school teacher correcting homework.! grin
I'll have a look at that film when I"m not too busy doing "corrections"! Thanks!.

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Dec-19 19:44:25

I shan't be bringing you an apple Sir grin
Rufus
Victoria does not permit euthanasia, but an assisted dying scheme is in place Wich is wot I sed.
There's more about palliative care at: www.vic.gov.au

Rufus2 Sat 21-Dec-19 10:31:15

Victoria does not permit euthanasia, but an assisted dying scheme is in place _Wich is wot I sed
Bradford; Are you sure? I can't find a ref. to Victoria in your homework! Until you can, I can only give you one mark out of ten for trying but nothing for grammar and punctuation! sad
Not even a truckload of apples will buy you a certificate; teachers have standards to uphold as you know, but a 6-pack of North of Nowhere might make me think again1 A slab would definitely prompt a full review! grin
OoRoo; neighbour!

Alexa Sat 21-Dec-19 18:36:26

The difference between palliative care of the dying and assisted dying is assisted dying hastens the death event but palliative care without assisted dying keeps the patient alive as long as possible.

LadyGracie Sat 21-Dec-19 18:46:21

Definitely would get my vote.

Jane43 Sat 21-Dec-19 19:29:56

Canada have a wonderful system called Medical Assistance In Dying (MAID) and it is a huge success. We have two relatives who were terminally ill, one opted for MAID and she was able to choose the time and place for passing away, the other didn’t opt for MAID and suffered a great deal with Motor Neurone Disease, he was made aware of the option but chose not to take it and nobody put pressure on him either way. I hope that eventually it is introduced over here.

NfkDumpling Sat 21-Dec-19 19:57:03

I hope so too Jane43. It even has a nicer name.

jura2 Sat 21-Dec-19 20:01:43

It is so unfair and cruel that people in the UK who have terminal and debilitating disease, and know that the end will be very painful or will mean choking - have to make the decision to travel to Switzerland or elsewhere far too early, when they could still enjoy quality time with their loved ones - for fear or not being able to travel at a later stage. Tragic.

NanKate Sat 21-Dec-19 20:30:29

I wholeheartedly agree with you Jura.

NfkDumpling Sat 21-Dec-19 23:04:17

Exactly right Jura.

Alexa Sat 21-Dec-19 23:40:58

Jane, my dear Canadian friend died this year of lung cancer and her son told me she had not set that choice in place and when she was dying she was too confused to state her choice.

Jura, you have said it all .

Hetty58 Sat 21-Dec-19 23:41:44

We are so much kinder to our pets. In fact, we'd, quite rightly, be at risk of prosecution for cruelty if we allowed them to suffer.

I can't remember her name, but a nurse chose to end her life (at Dignitas, I believe) very young, aged about 60, while she could travel. She'd seen too much of the reality of dying.

Juliet27 Sun 22-Dec-19 00:06:09

rufus and bradford I was reading....
‘Victoria's legislation, which came into effect in June, allows terminally ill patients who meet certain requirements the right to access lethal drugs.
Western Australia and Queensland are considering similar laws.’ Is that correct?

Rufus2 Sun 22-Dec-19 03:50:33

Western Australia and Queensland are considering similar laws.’ Is that correct?
Juliet: Yes, I'm glad to say, although that's one decision I think I'll procrastinate over for as long as I'm able!
My dear Vera died peacefully at tea-time on Christmas Eve four years ago aged 86 in the hospital's palliative care ward from rapid onset cancer, gradually knocking out all her vital organs one after the other.
She was not in pain, and fully cognizant of what was happening and in fact she decided to throw a "party" as this was only 4 days after our 62nd. Wedding Anniversary; two mini Christmas puds. and ice-cream provided by the nurses!
Vera had already decided against chemo because having spent most of her working life as a medical sec. to "bone men" (as they are affectionately known!) she knew that there would be no quality of life afterwards, even if successful.
I was at her bedside, when, after a day of steady, shallow breathing she stopped.! It 's an unreal experience.
She'd selected "Always look on the bright side of Life" for her Service, something she'd wanted me to continue and which I've tried to do, mostly successful, I think!
We had previously returned to Bournemouth when my younger brother died of pancreatic cancer, but that's another story.
Best Wishes and Good Health wine

Newquay Sun 22-Dec-19 06:33:50

OP mentioned “Exit”-can’t seem to find it on google

Yehbutnobut Sun 22-Dec-19 07:21:36

Rufus that was the ending most of us would prefer. If only we had a crystal ball. As you said about your younger brother ‘that’s another story’ ?

Alexa Sun 22-Dec-19 10:36:47

exitinternational.net/

"Exit"

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Dec-19 20:00:06

Not me Newquay.

Rufus Your story of your dear Vera is very moving. What a truly wonderful woman she was; you are so very fortunate to have had 62 years with a lady like that. flowers