Gransnet forums

Health

Very swollen face following abscess draining .

(50 Posts)
gillybob Sun 22-Dec-19 13:36:53

Those on the Good Morning thread will be familiar with the ongoing story of my front tooth . Just looking for some advice /reassurance really and wonder how much more can be done to save my tooth .

Condensed version . Front tooth sensitive to hot and cold but no outward sign of decay . Dentist diagnosed decay in root canal and I had root canal procedure done over 2 weeks . A few days after the tooth was sealed the pain was excruciating and the dentist reopened the tooth and packed it with sedative . Settled down again and tooth again resealed. Moving on 2 weeks again in excruciating pain and face hugely swollen . Dentist opened the gum line and drained . Relief was short lasting only a day or two and the last few days have been agony . Face still swollen with swelling now spread to eye, sinus and nose . Have now had 3 full courses of 2 different antibiotics and seems to be getting worse instead of better . Been using ice packs on my face but the heat radiating from the swelling is quite scary .

Any advice at all would be most welcome .

travelsafar Sun 22-Dec-19 16:43:45

Have it taken out i couldnt be doing with all the faffing about and they obviously can't resolve the issue. As others have said, if you get blood posioning it can be fatal!!! Feel your pain and distress. flowers

Elegran Sun 22-Dec-19 17:07:37

They won't take it out while it is infected, for fear of introducing the infection to the extraction wound and thence into the bloodstream. Sepsis is a danger. That has to be dealt with first, then the extraction. That is why she needs to either return to her own dentist or go to A&E.

Personaly, I would think that after two different antibiotics have failed to control it, a really strong intravenous AB will be given and she will be kept in and closely observed. This is exactly the worst time of year for it, but the alternative just doesn't bear thinking of.

Elegran Sun 22-Dec-19 17:13:01

Gillybob hasn't posted since the original post at 1.36 this afternoon. I think she has taken all the advice and gone to A&E. We probably won't hear more until all the hooha is over. Hope it was all sorted fast and she is now tucked up in bed on the ward with an antibiotic drip and powerful painkillers.

Jane10 Sun 22-Dec-19 18:08:08

I certainly hope so. It sounded very worrying. Poor Gillybob. She must wonder what she did in a past life to have all these troubles now.

Tangerine Sun 22-Dec-19 18:33:56

If you don't want to go to A & E off your own bat, try ringing 111 and asking their opinion. If they tell you to go to A & E, you will feel you are doing the right thing and have been officially told to do so.

Hope things improve soon. The last thing you want at Christmas time.

Dillyduck Sun 22-Dec-19 19:58:10

Time to say goodbye to this tooth. I have had many abcesses, could write a book on the subject. The pain is horrendous and if your face is swollen up, your body is telling you loud and clear that it needs to go for the sake of your wellbeing.

Grammaretto Sun 22-Dec-19 20:01:47

Who will look after Mr Gilly if she's in hospital?
I hope he doesn't have to be readmitted.
Sending healing ((hugs))

Jane10 Mon 23-Dec-19 14:09:25

I know Grammaretto. That's what I was thinking too. Hope all is as well as it could possibly be.

Marydoll Mon 23-Dec-19 14:26:45

I keep coming in, looking for an update.
How much more can Gilly take? ?

Bathsheba Mon 23-Dec-19 15:27:09

Me too Marydoll, and I've pm'd her, but no reply as yet. I'm really worried about her now sad

grannylyn65 Mon 23-Dec-19 15:32:07

I assume she’s got the message

Urmstongran Mon 23-Dec-19 15:45:23

I’m late to know of all this. I hope our gillybob took herself off to A&E. Hopefully her sister or daughter was able to stay with her husband.

Poor lady, what a rotten time she’s had these last few months.

notanan2 Mon 23-Dec-19 15:51:02

It could be a seroma. Nature fills vacumes. Antibiotics are often inappropriately prescribed for seromas when what is needed is more drainage. Get yourself to an emergency dentist.

Elegran Mon 23-Dec-19 16:01:16

I would think that it is a good sign that we haven't heard from her again. If she were still at home she would have replied by now with an update. It wouldn't be easy to post from A&E.

EllanVannin Mon 23-Dec-19 16:38:43

I hope she's done something about it, it's worrying. Maybe with not hearing anything she could have been stuck in A&E but at least they'll do something for her, hopefully.

That poor girl's been through enough and because of all that she's run-down which affects all the nerves in the body, particularly a dental nerve. Hope all's well Gillybob. xx

EllanVannin Mon 23-Dec-19 16:41:56

Teeth are a damn nuisance at times and once abscesses develop it can be quite serious if they're not tackled immediately.

Nortsat46 Mon 23-Dec-19 17:19:41

Just leaving a message of good wishes and support for gillybob in case she looks in here.
As everyone else has said, I hope she is doing well, out of pain and under treatment.

I agree EllanVannin when you are run down, everything is affected and your body has little resistance.

Kalu Mon 23-Dec-19 17:20:10

Quite concerning not to have heard from gilly. I only hope she doesn’t have more stress added to what she is already dealing with.

travelsafar Tue 24-Dec-19 08:12:50

Fingers crossed all is well for this poor lady.

eazybee Tue 24-Dec-19 09:38:07

Hoping that she has found some relief from the pain; it is all so much worse because she will be exhausted from all she has been through.

Pittcity Tue 24-Dec-19 10:09:06

Gillybob has posted on the Good morning thread and things seem to be improving.

Jane10 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:30:44

I was glad to read her detailed update.

NfkDumpling Tue 24-Dec-19 12:13:59

Just popped in. No news?

NfkDumpling Tue 24-Dec-19 12:14:58

So now my iPad updates! Off to look Good Morning. I missed that too this morning.