Gransnet forums

Health

Repeat Prescription

(29 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 23-Dec-19 11:02:32

OK I admit it was my fault - I forgot to order my repeat prescription but can't help thinking this is unnecessarily complicated.

I realised today that I will actually run out of medication on Thursday. I rang my local surgery to ask if I could call in to collect a prescription either today or tomorrow (bearing in mind I would not need to see a doctor or nurse).

I was told if I wanted it today they would have to forward the request to the practice head office (in the next town) as it would be classed as an emergency prescription. If I wanted to collect it tomorrow they would make the request but couldn't guarantee it would be ready tomorrow.

All my medical records are at the practice I contacted (as well as being on computer) and all that is needed is for someone to run off a prescription form and get a doctor (any doctor) to sign it.

As my medication is not for a life threatening disease I have decided to order online (as I usually do) and collect the medication from the chemist on Friday or Saturday

growstuff Tue 24-Dec-19 09:56:54

I honestly don't understand why the systems vary so much from one area to another.

Chewbacca Tue 24-Dec-19 10:26:53

I have 3 options to request a repeat script, all can be done within 48 hours of needing the meds: phone the surgery or phone the pharmacy; hand the tear off from my previous script to the GP or hand the tear off from the script to the pharmacy; or go online and request my GP to send the script direct to a chosen pharmacy. I automatically get 8 weeks supply and, every 12 months, am automatically booked in to see a GP for a medication review.

This is vastly different to my previous GP, who is only 3 miles up the road from my new GP, and who had a cumbersome and unreliable system that would allow 4 weeks of meds only.

growstuff Tue 24-Dec-19 11:46:38

That's baffling. Why should it be so different?