Gransnet forums

Health

Weirdest Christmas (well boxing day) ever!

(27 Posts)
Loobs Sat 28-Dec-19 17:28:05

Had a lovely Christmas day visiting both daughters, one for breakfast and one for dinner plus trip midday to our friends pub - wonderful. However, boxing day - I went to shops for a few bits leaving my (perfectly normal and healthy 60 year old) husband having a wash. I returned a couple of hours later to find him wandering around the house not knowing what he had done for the last few months, saying he thought he had a blackout and continually asking me if it was boxing day as his watch showed 26th December and when I said yes, he asked what we did Xmas day as he couldn't remember. He couldn't remember having worked for the past few weeks, the fact that we took the 4 gc to the carol service at the cathedral Xmas eve (but he remembered he had gc). The whole thing was very worrying so I phoned 111 and when the doctor phoned me back, she said based on the information I should take him to A & E. It was clear that they feared a stroke (as did I) and they were brilliant at the hospital He passed all the 'stroke tests' but kept repeating the same questions time after time - not aggressive or even particularly anxious, just confused. They admitted him to the ward after the CT scan and said they would keep him in overnight and he would have an MRI scan plus ecg and various blood tests. By the time I left at 7 pm he was starting to get his memory back but it was patchy. Told yesterday when I picked him up that it was definitely TGA (Transient Global Amnesia) and it shouldn't happen again and that there is no known cause. He's fine but shaken up (understandably) - has anyone here heard of this or knows someone who has suffered it??

B9exchange Sat 28-Dec-19 17:46:17

I've heard of it, but not personally met someone going through it, what a terrifying experience for both of you. I am so sorry you went through that. Let's hope your DH recovers quickly and fully, and you can both put it behind you as 'just one of those things'.

Health crises so often disrupt our Christmases, this year one GD was rushed to hospital on Christmas Eve evening with a suspected fractured foot. Highly unpleasant experience, waited four hours past her bedtime in vomit stained waiting room being ignored by staff, then eventually to have the result of the x-ray shouted across the room at them 'There is no fracture, go home!'

Calendargirl Sat 28-Dec-19 17:58:23

Loobs

What a worry, hope all goes well with your husband.

Sara65 Sat 28-Dec-19 18:18:14

Gosh, that’s so scary, hope he continues to improve.

Luckygirl Sat 28-Dec-19 18:20:14

How very disturbing. I do hope that it does not happen again.

mumofmadboys Sat 28-Dec-19 18:27:33

My Dad had an episode of TGA. It is caused by temporarily cutting off the blood supply through the external carotid artery at the side of your neck. My dad had been doing something with the U bend of the sink in the bathroom and so had his neck in an odd position. Could your DH have doing anything similar? Anyway, no need to worry -that is the main thing, Loobs.

dragonfly46 Sat 28-Dec-19 18:27:38

How worrying - I have not heard of this before.

Madgran77 Sat 28-Dec-19 18:32:40

This happened to my son after a traumatic few months. He suddenly "came to" sitting on top of a double decker bus in North London, no idea how he had got there and no memory of the previous few hours. He rang his sister who went and collected him. Dr said it can happen after stressful situations apparently. This was 15 years ago, when he was 25 years old; t has never happened again

BlueSky Sat 28-Dec-19 19:22:54

How worrying I was going to say TIA but see it's been diagnosed as a TGA. Helpful for others reading this that this could happen. At least he's been checked.

Jane10 Sat 28-Dec-19 19:30:13

Gosh. What a horrible worry for you. I hope its a one off!

Septimia Sat 28-Dec-19 20:29:46

My uncle 'disappeared' on a couple of occasions, supposedly with memory loss.

Whether it was the strain of living with my aunt that caused the loss of memory, or that he just needed a few days respite, I don't know.

These 2 events happened over about 20 years or more and he was fine the rest of the time.

I hope that your husband is OK from now on.

Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 20:41:06

That is so frightening. I've never heard of TGA before and wonder how common it is. Best wishes to the OP and her husband and fingers x-ed that it was just a one-off.

MamaCaz Sat 28-Dec-19 20:45:11

That sounds awfully scary!

I seem to remember there being another thread about TGA quite recently, and if I remember rightly, several Gransnetters had experienced this.

MamaCaz Sat 28-Dec-19 20:58:11

It was here, in case you want to take a look:

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1268945-Transient-global-amnesia

Sussexborn Sat 28-Dec-19 21:01:43

I joined a walking for health group when we first moved here. Another member was going to a garden centre and invited me to go along. All seemed fine and normal. We did one circuit of the garden centre, then another and she started on a third. She was a total stranger and I was quite bemused So suggested we stopped for a tea or coffee. That seemed to break the chain and she suddenly asked me how many times we had gone round. She was really embarrassed and confused. She rang me a while later to say that she had seen her GP who told her it was probably a one off experience and unlikely to happen again. She was in her 70s and her confidence was really shaken.

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 21:05:01

I have heard of this, but even so had no idea it came on so suddenly!
Poor you Loobs and your DH what an experience.

Grannybags Sat 28-Dec-19 21:11:46

A few years ago I called upstairs to my husband asking if he wanted a coffee. No reply so I went to investigate and he was sitting in his "office" looking blank. He didn't know who I was.

After what seemed like ages of talking to him he said he recognised me but didn't remember that we were due to go to our sons house or the reason we were going (it was my birthday!) He slowly came round and I took him to the doctors who didn't give it a name but said it was something that sometimes happened and would probably never happen again.

So far it never has thank heavens. It was very scary

Doodle Sat 28-Dec-19 21:13:24

Yes this has happened to my DH twice. He could remember lots of things but not what had happened recently and couldn’t remember where we were going on holiday or the children’s birthdays. After about 30 mins his memory came back and he was fine till the next time. Apart from those two occasions he’s been ok. Very scary though.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Dec-19 21:26:47

A few months ago my best friend went to the doctor to ask about a mole on her back she has no knowledge of anything for 24 hours after that she had a blood tast bottle in her hand at home so presumed she had to go back she went the next day and the doctor did a Alzheimer’s test with her and said well you did better than yesterday she had no idea she had done one the day before or that she’d even seen him she still has no idea how she got home but must have caught the right bus etc and got herself in the right house The next day she was fine but still has no recollection of those 24 hours
She passed the Alzheimer’s test by the way

Grandma2213 Sun 29-Dec-19 03:31:14

How scary for you but am glad he's now OK. I've never heard of it either but it must be really worrying. I had an attack of vertigo out of the blue on Boxing Day which was scary enough as there was no apparent reason for it. I had one about 20+ years ago but never again till this one. I kept wondering about the heavy nose bleed I had a couple of weeks ago. I've never had one of those before either. The only thing that I do get, again for no apparent reason are clusters of migraines over a week or so and then they disappear. The loss of speech, vision, and numbness are quite debilitating but I can manage the headache afterwards. I haven't had that for ages even though I have gone through periods of stress and tiredness. I wonder if they are all linked? Disturbance to the blood supply to the brain could be a common factor but I certainly don't want to go through TGA.

Loobs Sun 29-Dec-19 07:11:07

Thank you all for replying, and for your best wishes. He is fine now but frustrated at not remembering exactly what happened that morning - bizarrely he seems to have eaten a whole box of cereal?? It is the randomness of the things he forgot that is weird - he asked what we had done Xmas eve and when I said he had looked after 2 gc while I was at hospital he asked why I went there. I said it was for a pre-op for my knee operation (new knee) and he became very worried and asked if I had broken my knee. He didn't remember that his father had died 8 years ago yet remembered stuff from 6 months ago. He forgot our daughter had got in the car with us when I took him to the hospital and nearly jumped out of his skin when she spoke. The repetition of the same question over and over is apparently a classic symptom - he continually asked what day it was, was it boxing day, what had he done on Xmas day - he must have asked the question 100's of times. Still, he's fine now but it is interesting to hear of other people suffering from this - strangely reassuring. Happy New Year to you all and thanks again.

Tigertooth Wed 01-Jan-20 03:38:55

I've had something similar as an aura before a migraine - I felt totally normal and was getting the kids breakfast ready but I couldn't read the cereal packet. I the tried to read other labels but I couldn't. I grabbed a school letter but not only could I not read the letter, I couldn't remember the name of their school. I got some cereal down them and bundled them into the car, I tried to say 'seatbelt' but all I could say was 'wrap'.
All the way to school I had no words and could not read signs but was perfectly aware of what I was doing, where I was going, driving perfectly, it just affected my language skills.
The school is near a hospital and my plan was to drop kids in school and drive to hospital, I was worried about how I could explain what was going on. I drove past a GAP and read it, then other shops, then I sang a song and named all the local streets and it had passed.
I went to GP then instead of the hospital and he sent me to a neurologist who did a scan which was fine. He said that it was a very unusual aura and that if it happened again would I please try to write my name and contact him as he'd like to see if I could write. It's never happened since. The migraine that followed was very mild.

Evie64 Wed 01-Jan-20 04:13:38

How scary for you. You poor thing, It sounded like a TIA (tranisant ischaemic attack - mini stroke. ) So pleased he has recovered. Happy and healthy 2020

Kalu Wed 01-Jan-20 08:40:05

DH had a TGA a few years ago. No idea what caused it but it eventually passed with no ill effects.

A very frightening experience when I realised he had no idea what day it was and couldn’t remember anything when I asked him various questions. Quite foggy for the rest of the day but back to normal roughly 24hrs later.

M0nica Wed 01-Jan-20 09:32:26

Both I and a friend have had one of these and were given the same information by doctors. For some reason, it is exceptionally rare to have more than one, and having one signifies little.

My friend's TGA lasted 24 hours. He was chairing a day school that I was at. He seemed normal but a bit 'flat'. He had driven to the venue and drove home afterwards and 'came to' that evening with no memory of the previous 24 hours.

I had mine when I was driving. Thankfully it only lasted about 20 minutes. I was on a dual carriage way, came off at the right junction but then did a complete turn on the roundabout and drove back the way I came. I negotiated a large and complex roundabout 2 miles on and took a 4 mile journey to a slip road on a motorway.

I came too as I was driving along the slip road. I couldn't work out where I was at first, and then how I had got there, so came off at the next junction and headed home, feeling a bit shaken. I felt fine immediately afterwards, but I do remember having a period of intense awareness of everything around me before I tipped into amnesia. I was fortunate that my TGA was very short.