Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy

(107 Posts)
Alypoole Fri 03-Jan-20 11:09:12

I’m due to have a colonoscopy next Wednesday. I am SO anxious about the procedure and the possible outcome. I know this is not helping at all but cannot seem to calm down. I do have a small supply of Diazepam but have only used one at night to help me relax and sleep- another enduring problem. Any thought/advice?

HannahLoisLuke Sat 04-Jan-20 10:44:58

Ive had one and due another in a few months time.
As others have said the preparation isn't much fun, I'm sure mine began a week before.
However, I was only offered gas and air and refused it as I remember from childbirth it made me sick. Next time I will strongly request a sedative. My procedure felt like being in labour, with painless intervals interspersed with strong episodes. Although it wasn't explained I've worked out that the painful bits were when they were removing the six polyps that were in my colon.
I think that but for them I'd have had a much better experience.
So I'm pleased that you've opted to gave sedation.

FairyNuff Sat 04-Jan-20 10:45:56

I’ve not had the procedure but know several people who have and they all echo what everyone else has said on here. The preparation is tough but the procedure itself is at worst uncomfortable but with lots of support. Good luck!

Froglady Sat 04-Jan-20 10:47:42

I had sedation for mine. Only problem is that I then have to spend the night in hospital afterwards as you need someone with you for 24 hours. Could you ask the hospital about sedation?

Greciangirl Sat 04-Jan-20 10:48:08

Sorry, but my experience of a colonoscopy was horrendous.

The sedation given in my hand didn’t seem to have any effect whatsoever. So I found the procedure quite painful. So much so that I yelped out in pain.

Some time ago my Gp suggested I have another one, but there is just no way I cloud face that again.

Luckygirl Sat 04-Jan-20 10:51:02

Greciangirl - I think it important to say that your experience is the exception that proves the rule. Really - I had 2 with no sedation or anything and I can honestly say that it was just fine!

Panic not OP!

jenni123 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:51:50

I have ulcerative colitis and have had many colonoscopy's, I think the prep the day before you go is worse than the actual procedure. If it is a colonoscopy then you will be given a mild anaesthetic where you will not really be asleep but drifting in and out, if you have a sigmoidoscopy then no anaesthetic, not needed. once you are fully awake you will be able to go home but if you had the sedation you will have to have someone accompany you and they say they must stay with you all night, I have never had someone stay all night with me even tho I say there is someone. I have been fine.

Froglady Sat 04-Jan-20 10:52:07

Sorry, just seen that you are having sedation.

goldengirl Sat 04-Jan-20 10:57:35

I had light sedation and watched the procedure on the screen from time to time and didn't feel a thing. As said by others the prep is the worst bit and again like the others the staff were very kind as I was quite nervous about it.

Saddee55 Sat 04-Jan-20 11:00:25

Please don’t worry I had 3 last year and a CT one ...I didn’t have sedation and was fine it’s a little uncomfortable like trapped wind .....one thing I’d advice buy some barrier cream Sudocrem is very good stops your bottom from getting really sore...it’s used mainly for nappy rash but it soothes and has a weak anaesthetic ,I used it after every visit to the loo worked great ...good luck hope everything goes ok .

inishowen Sat 04-Jan-20 11:02:05

I've had three. One without sedation which I wouldn't recommend. The prep is the worst part. Make sure you stay at home near the loo. Mine was done by a Male nurse which worried me, but he was so reassuring and said he'd been doing them for 15 years. The female nurse held my hand throughout. I hardly knew what was happening as the sedation was very good. Once I opened my eyes and saw the screen then drifted off again. There was no pain afterwards. My husband had his without sedation and watched the whole thing on screen while chatting with the doctor. He's very stoic!

glammagran Sat 04-Jan-20 11:03:39

I’m with Greciangirl on this one. I found the staff really unfriendly in the hospital I attended - it was a conveyer belt. The sedation had no effect whatsoever even though I warned them I had a very high tolerance threshold. I had 5 biopsies and a polyp removed during the procedure and can remember every second of it.

I had 3 lots of morphine some years ago when I was airlifted to hospital and a nurse said I must be a hardened drug addict to have such tolerance.

Ask for as much sedation as allowed. Hope your experience is a lot better.

vinasol Sat 04-Jan-20 11:05:32

I'm afraid I had a bad experience and I blame it on the lack of sedation. I felt as though I had no sedation whatsoever, but apparently I had been given some immediately before the scope went in. Ask for enough sedation.

Sealover Sat 04-Jan-20 11:07:05

Alypoole, I was terrified when I had to have one, I was a real baby. The prep is the worst, but you are at home, get yourself some baby wipes. The staff at the hospital were so nice, I had sedation and didn't feel a thing but could watch it on the screen and was reassured that everything was OK. I recommend the sedation, could do with some for family events! Makes you feel "say what you like, do what you like, don't give a monkies!" Good luck, you will be fine.

Boolya Sat 04-Jan-20 11:11:29

I've had 2 colonoscopies and agree with everything that's gone before. It's the preparation that's not very nice in as much as you need to be near the loo for a while. Sedation means you will barely remember a thing about it. One thing I did was to jump on the bathroom scales before I started the prep then again after the procedure - lost a few lbs in the process!
Don't forget that the staff are doing these on a daily basis and will be skilled in administering it and explaining what's happening.

Jan135 Sat 04-Jan-20 11:20:08

Hi I had a colonoscopy last October after the bowel screening kit picked up blood. I had light sedation and was talking to the doctor during the procedure and watching the screen. I too was dreading it, but it was fine. They located a polyp in a place which couldn’t be dealt with at the time. When I returned for the polyp to be removed I had no sedation only a local anaesthetic. I have to go back in March as although the polyp wasn’t cancerous it had high potential to turn cancerous so they need to make sure it’s all gone. I am not worried about the procedure now I have experienced it, just hoping they have managed to remove the polyp completely. I will then be recalled regularly. My father had bowel cancer and has just had the 5 year all clear so please go and don’t worry. I personally wouldn’t take any medication beforehand without checking with the hospital first. Hope all goes well and I agree with others to use loads of sudocrem after the frequent trips to the loo during the bowel preparation process

grannytotwins Sat 04-Jan-20 11:23:31

I’ve had two. I had sedation both times that had no effect. The first was a breeze. The second was very painful and they gave me gas and air which worked, so it was fine after the initial pain. The worst part was the purging. The doctor said that it should be taken earlier than the instructions say and I’ll do that next time. I took the first dose from 7pm and it didn’t start working until 3am. I then had to start the second dose at 6am. I think it’s just easier to sit on the loo and read a book! Only take your own drugs beforehand if you’ve checked first with the department.

Alexa Sat 04-Jan-20 11:28:46

Alypoole they will give you a great tranquilliser into your vein before the procedure and this makes all the difference, believe me I have had three colonoscopies.

clementine Sat 04-Jan-20 11:33:51

You have had great advice, the procedure itself isn't a problem at all. The staff are amazing and so reassuring . It's over before you know it . I had mild IV sedation but I wonder if it even worked as I was fully alert !!

Two things I would say, I am sure they have already been mentioned. Start the Light Diet at least three days beforehand, I didn't , not realising and obviously the laxative did the job but it had harder to work !!!

Also, after every bowel movement I use gentle wet wipes and Vaseline . Had no problems with soreness or pain.

Good luck .

Twopence Sat 04-Jan-20 11:34:26

Alypoole, I will be thinking of you next Wednesday, as I am having a colonoscopy that day too. I had one back in November and the procedure itself wasn't bad at all. I had sedation for it. As everyone else has said the preparation is the worst bit. Stay close to the loo!!! Very best wishes.

MollyG Sat 04-Jan-20 11:38:01

Insist on sedation and you shouldn’t know anything about it. Also see go regarding some temporary help sleeping and with anxiety. You don’t have to suffer, good luck x

Theoddbird Sat 04-Jan-20 11:38:49

You will be offered sedation so take it. If once procedure has started you feel you need more say so. You will be fine.

LadyJus Sat 04-Jan-20 11:43:33

I've had several and as others say, please don't scare yourself. Your doctor has done hundreds of them and will know - to the exact second - how much sedation you will need! You'll lay on your side, doc will say 'relax' and then they'll say 'all done', it really is as simple as that!

Grandyma Sat 04-Jan-20 11:51:35

I can promise you that the worst part about a colonoscopy is the anxiety beforehand. I’ve had several and have always opted for the sedation. You won’t go to sleep but won’t be aware of the procedure. You’ll be given tea and biscuits and once you’ve rested for a while you can go home. You will need someone with you as you won’t be able to drive/use public transport straight away. The preparation beforehand isn’t great but nothing to worry about. These things are mainly precautionary but whatever the results show you will be given the correct treatment. Diazepam is a blessing if used sensibly and medical science wonderful to have the ability to diagnose accurately and quickly. I am one of the most anxious people you could meet so if I can handle it anyone can!! Best of luck to you ?

Aepgirl Sat 04-Jan-20 11:54:03

I have never had a colonoscopy but have a friend who has one every couple of years. She says the thought of it is much worse than the actual procedure, and it’s over much quicker than you expect.

Hope it all goes OK for you.

annep1 Sat 04-Jan-20 11:54:08

J think the key word is Relax.