Gransnet forums

Health

Upper Endoscopy

(54 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 03-Jan-20 14:30:30

Anyone had this procedure, whether it be with throat spray or sedation /Both interested to hear your experience

annep1 Sat 04-Jan-20 11:51:49

Harrigran I had one about 3 or 4 years ago with the NHS. My bp went high as I was nervous so they gave me a general anaesthetic. The staff were all lovely caring people - to my husband as well who came into the prep room with me.

I am having it (hopefully) done privately this time through Benenden. The consultant seems very uncaring and didn't try to put me at ease about having it at all. I told him I had difficulty swallowing omeprazole and asked how thick the tube was He just held up a finger and said "that thick" and went on writing.
I use private just because it's quicker. I have never found it to be any better, usually just the same.

Guineagirl Sat 04-Jan-20 20:49:49

No sedation, absolutely awful. Trying to swallow the tube with an almighty thud. Could feel the whole tube in my stomach. Blood pressure dropped with shock and couldn’t walk slowly I was running like a battery wind up rabbit Duracell. Never again with sedation.

Guineagirl Sat 04-Jan-20 20:50:49

Sorry would have sedation nothing was offered just spray.

Folkestone78 Sat 04-Jan-20 21:03:31

Had this procedure twice, both with throat spray as sedation not offered. It’s ok, feels a bit scary at first because you can’t help but’ gag’ a bit but it is not painful, just a bit of a weird sensation. It is over quite quickly. (10 mins max) I also had biopsies taken but did not feel this happening at all.
Good luck, you will be fine ??

annep1 Sat 04-Jan-20 22:58:13

Can you expand on the BP thing Guineagirl? How did you know it dropped??

annep1 Sat 04-Jan-20 22:58:56

I've a feeling your reaction was unusual?

Doodledog Sat 04-Jan-20 23:11:43

That's interesting about the NHS having cut back on the amount of sedation. The first one I had was a couple of years ago, and I felt that I had been 'under'. I had the sedative injection and knew nothing until I woke up in a bed in a recovery room.

The last one I had was a follow-up in November, and I was fully conscious throughout. I would happily have paid for a bit more sedative, but it wasn't offered.

Guineagirl Sun 05-Jan-20 07:36:09

I felt so dizzy and when they took it it was 99/60 which was low for me it’s usually 113. The nurse leading me to the chair said slow down but it was so weird I said I can’t it was as if I was in fight or flight mode literally rushing. I suppose I was doing my best to have the endoscopy done and hiding how I felt until it was over.

Guineagirl Sun 05-Jan-20 07:37:50

Yes probably unusual, I have anxiety and depression so it was hard for me to do, colonoscopy and endoscopy but things needed to be checked out because of the symptoms I had

TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 07:47:39

I understand this Guineagirl as the first colonoscopy I had the same thing happened to me regarding dizziness and blood pressure going down I was feeling horrendous and felt rough for couple of days after, I’ve had two colonoscopies since and was fine with both, so that’s one of the reasons I asked about endoscopy, I do t suffer anxiety or depression, but my body does react to quite a few things

TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 07:48:15

Don’t

driverann Sun 05-Jan-20 07:54:30

I’ve had it done three times over the years due to reflux is not pleasant but I just have the spray. Afterwards I was given a cup of tea and is biscuit. It’s not too bad and soon done.

BlueSky Sun 05-Jan-20 10:39:42

How do you cope with swallowing the tube when you usually have trouble in swallowing tablets?

Luckygirl Sun 05-Jan-20 10:49:45

BlueSky - I think it is the gentle pressure from the nurse pushing it in that helps it to go down.

lucywinter Sun 05-Jan-20 10:56:16

Out of all the endoscopies people on here have had, has anything useful really come out of having one?

I have had reflux for years now and have never been offered an endoscopy, and I'm certainly not going to ask for one. Why do some people get them and not others?

BlueSky Sun 05-Jan-20 11:14:32

Luckygirl thank you!

annep1 Sun 05-Jan-20 11:19:37

Thankss Guineagirl

TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:09:58

Maybe because they are in a lot of pain constantly I think Lucywinter, some it affects more than other people, and they can feel pain in other areas, also once you get your results then you probably know what you are dealing with and why this is happening, most drs will ask you to go for one, if you are suffering,must admit the thought makes me shudder

annep1 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:18:24

Mine is because I get nauseous spells. I do wish there was somethjng else.
Last time I had one years ago rhey said it showed gastritis and I was given omeprazole But they like to check what is causing problems before prescribing.

BlueSky Sun 05-Jan-20 15:18:47

Let's hope all these tests are not as bad as we fear. Last year I was quite worried about a head MRI with contrast. I started imagining all sort of complications, as it was it was bearable enough and no side effects from the contrast, not even a headache!

MissAdventure Sun 05-Jan-20 15:26:54

I was only pressurised to have offered one when my doctor died and the practice was taken over.
My doctor had told me that if medication worked on my pain then it was safe to assume it was an ulcer, which I did.

New doctor said that wasn't the case at all, and that I really should be checked out, as medication can mask more serious problems.

I actually have a sliding hiatus hernia, so, same medication, but at least I know for definite.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:28:24

I had a lumbar puncture 19 years ago, and the week before I was due to go, me and my husband were chatting to ex army man who told me he had one, saying oh god you won’t handle that I was as sick as a dog had blinding headache you wanna see the size of the needle, well for a start you do not see the needle, I had it done, it’s not nice I wasn’t sick, nor did I feel sick no headache, I had to lay down and rest afterwards but I went shopping in supermarket on way home, so I would say like everything else in life, there are people that it will affect and others that like to exaggerate

Barmeyoldbat Sun 05-Jan-20 15:34:35

I have them as I have PBC, an auto immune condition where my bile duct leaks bile onto my live and surrounding areas., It can cause bleeding in my oesophagus and they check this out at regular intervals, A bit of a pain really but rather be safe than sorry. Also had 2 done to see if I was a coeliac. I consider myself really lucky that I under such great care.

Chucky Sun 05-Jan-20 15:44:13

I had one done, with just the throat spray. It was much worse than I expected! I felt myself panicking, but managed (just) to stop myself lashing out. It was not a nice experience!

The upside of no sedation is you can leave earlier than if you have sedation.

Sparklefizz Sun 05-Jan-20 15:55:24

I have had reflux for years now and have never been offered an endoscopy, and I'm certainly not going to ask for one. Why do some people get them and not others?

I was sent for one because I suddenly began getting heartburn and reflux, and because my Dad died of oesophageal cancer and I, myself, have already had cancer twice. My GP (and I) thought it best to check.

Turns out I have a small hiatal hernia but mainly I had an inflamed oesophagus (oesophagitis). I did not want to take Omeprazole which is the recommended treatment for oesophagitis, but which has dreadful side effects for someone with my gut and other problems, so I treated it with acupuncture and homeopathy and it went away and never came back. The hiatal hernia is obviously still there but doesn't bother me.